What is an underrated skill that people should learn?

A second language. or if you know two, a third.

For me, getting up there in years, I can accept loss of strength but not decreased mental capacity. Learning another language and shfting between the two supposedly works wonders developing new neural pathways. Inexpensive one-on-one lessons on italki.com, and meetup.com lets you practice with other foreign language speakers.

For AOT, it isn't too late to learn public speaking. It's simple, really. What most people need is confidence. Once you learn to project voice, pause, etc, it all comes together. Good and inexpensive courses on udemy.com. Check out Peter Baker.

Being retired in the age of the internet is awesome. So much you can learn. Last week I googled can you learn to sing in your 70's and the answer is yes, with a ton of free youtube videos.

Inexpensive fun.
I almost put this one up instead of manual.

Where I am from my relatives, who some did not graduate high school or graduated and stop, speak 3 to 4 languages. It is something that is natural to them but I am always floored by it.

Knowing more than one language is just good brain food, you know?

Here's something I learned last year and I wish I'd learned it sooner.

Shit is always breaking and just about all glue, krazy glue, etc., is junk. They all have their drawbacks.

Instead, go out and get a small tube of 2-part epoxy glue. It comes with a cap so that you can use every bit of it without the cap getting welded on as in krazy glue, so
it's cheaper than throwing away ones that have turned into stone in your utility drawer. Because it doesn't become glue until the parts are mixed, the cap won't get stuck on the syringe. It
also won't ruin your fingers like krazy glue which I've found difficult to avoid. Shit is dangerous and doesn't work all that great.

Epoxy glue comes in a dual-bodied syringe and with a little practice you'll learn to squirt equal sized globs of the epoxy and resin on a paper plate and mix it with, say, a popsicle stick. The mixture sets up in few minutes and starts getting thicker so you can easily apply it to whatever you are trying to repair without drips. It doesn't matter whether that is wood, ceramic metal, plastic or whatever. It works on everything. Once you get used to the timing, you can learn to stick awkward items, say the arm of a statue for example, and it'll adhere in the proper position without trying to hold it forever or tape it up or something.

The bond sets up fast and the stuff just doesn't let go. That bond is stronger than the material you're repairing in most cases, it's almost invisible and is permanent.

Don't let the mixing process deter you from trying it. It's quite easy. The only tricky part is getting equal-sized globs out of the syringe and you can do that by adjusting pressure on the plunger on whatever side is necessary. You can find it at big box stores, walmart, or michael's.
I alway have a epoxy glue set in my tool box or my desk along with duct tape, wood glue and super glue. It is the sure fire way to get things done. I learned this from my mom and I have passed it on down to my kid.

I always also have a box of stuff in my trunk for the car: oil, water, radiator fluid, windshield flue, transmission fluid, brake fluid, first aid kit and more. I learned this from my mom and I have passed this on down. I am not sure if I would have done this if I had not learned from someone else.

Last edited:
I almost put this one up instead of manual.

Where I am from my relatives, who some did not graduate high school or graduated and stop, speak 3 to 4 languages. It is something that is natural to them but I am always floored by it.

Knowing more than one language is just good brain food, you know?

I agree with you. I've studied German, Spanish and French, but didn't apply myself to become fluent in any. I remember thinking "when the hell am I ever going to have
any use for Spanish?" and since then I've wished I could speak it about a hundred times.

Sometimes just stretching your brain to learn something like a language is beneficial to the student even if you don't really get to use that skill. Learning teaches us how to think
better, more effectively.

I agree with you. I've studied German, Spanish and French, but didn't apply myself to become fluent in any. I remember thinking "when the hell am I ever going to have
any use for Spanish?" and since then I've wished I could speak it about a hundred times.

Sometimes just stretching your brain to learn something like a language is beneficial to the student even if you don't really get to use that skill. Learning teaches us how to think
better, more effectively.

Exactly. I take a class each Spring and Fall at a community college. I am always taking classes online or watching webinars. I have had a few people poke fun at it. Small minds, imho, since they don't get why would I do this for pure fun. How I won't use it for anything as far as getting a job out of it. It keeps my brain active and works my imagination and curiosity which I hope never leaves me. And as a child from a family with a long history of Alzheimer's I need to do all I can to starve that bitch away from me as long as possible.

The mental, emotional and physical joy and benefits can't be stated enough.

I love to learn anything and everything. It is just so much fun especially in a topic that one might not think they would enjoy or one that people might think is not appropriate for me.

I have been dubbed by one writing group "The Queen of Webinars," which I love.

Anyhoo.

How to balance a checkbook, and related, how to write a check.

There are precious few people under 40 who have these skills.

How to balance a checkbook, and related, how to write a check.

There are precious few people under 40 who have these skills.
and how to make change! i know someone who had many employees who couldn't make change even though cash registers TELL you the amount! maybe that lack of ability is the REAL reason for the "coin shortage"...😄

and how to make change! i know someone who had many employees who couldn't make change even though cash registers TELL you the amount! maybe that lack of ability is the REAL reason for the "coin shortage"...😄
I kid you not when I say this. There are a few places in town where the registers have pictures. Pictures!

So when they make a mistake or need to fix it they are lost and need to call a manager. I have read the book about dumbing-down our children, I know there are few volumes. This is just one way.

Folding a fitted bed sheet. I've been married 40 years and always help my wife with the laundry. I've given up trying to fold this bitch. I always save this one for her.

Folding a fitted bed sheet. I've been married 40 years and always help my wife with the laundry. I've given up trying to fold this bitch. I always save this one for her.
lol I have watched the youtube video on how to do it but can never do it

Character.

This happened in front of us after the Spartans game yesterday. Trust me when I tell you that walking around East Lansing in a Wolverines jersey was not a popular thing to do after the game. Calling unnecessary attention to yourself wearing that jersey was brave. This guy couldn't buy a drink the rest of the night. This is from my FB post on it.

----Waiting in line to get back on the bus back to our tailgating area yesterday after the game amongst a highly raucous Spartan crowd.
A gentleman noticed that somebody dropped their wallet on the ground as the doors to the bus in front of us closed. He made a beeline for the wallet and alerted folks that it had been dropped saving somebody a lot of money and/or inconvenience.
Thank you to the good Samaritan in the Wolverine's jersey (from Chesterfield MI) for this good deed. Nobody saw the wallet fall but him.----

Back