What is an underrated skill that people should learn?

I meant working fulltime on the job. Mostly in the field. I was a fulltime equipment operator in the fields. My bad. When I was 13, I was the field boss already. LMAO.

Not joking...
My mom was not going to let her daughter explore any of that. All the truckers/ operators in the county were men. I got it.

I can drive manual, not everyone I am finding can. I am sure there are a boat load of people here who can.

Being able to find a car that you can buy for less is one reason it is a good skill.

Being able to shift, and have that vrooom as you drive, hmmm. Sorry, you do not get that in an automatic

Why should people learn? You get better fuel mileage. I tend to pay more attention on the road and not be distracted, most cars internationally are manual from what I've read

Just thoughts on the top of my head.

I miss having a car that is manual.

Yup an underrated skill.
I can drive both as well it’s a very good skill.

~Dee~

My mom was not going to let her daughter explore any of that. All the truckers/ operators in the county were men. I got it.

My passion was building I wanted to be, growing up, a doctor or an architect.... my dad loved him to death said I would be ignored by most in the building industry at the time he was right, but I decided to be a Child psychologist much to my mothers objections lol. She was old school.

~Dee~

My dad tried to teach me manual, but I absolutely hated when the car would stall.
I learned the fun way. My boyfriend had a manuel car, found a back road at college and said, "Drive." He had a new car and was going to pass the older car to me but it was manual.

Yeah, that was fun.
👍👍👍

It was once I got the hang of it

Cool. When can I pencil you in to drive my truck? 18 spd...

Do you FSBO?

No. It's far too much work. Plus buyers tend to not trust houses/real estate for sale by owners bc buyers don't trust the owner to be honest. Real estate agents can't lie; ask them questions IN WRITING and ask for answers in writing. They have to answer truthfully; full disclosure is real. Agents have to be insured for errors and omissions as well as liability. If they lie to you or deceive you they open themselves up to a lawsuit which you will win 90% of the time if it's documented in writing. Good agents want to make the sale but they won't risk their livelihood or reputation by lying just to protect a seller. Also, it pays to hire a top producing agent in your area even if you have to pay a little extra. Agents also have many more buyers in their pockets than an owner can attract with a sign and an ad which brings a better qualified buyer and more often than not a better selling price to the seller despite the agent's fees. A top agent may easily be working with 10-20 buyers and 1 might be perfect for your house. Bang. Sale made in a day or two.

Last edited:
Developing the ability to admit that you could be wrong about something is a skill that I've found to be very helpful.

As George Bernard Shaw said: “Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”

There are so many things that occur to me, but I'll go with something that is sort of a big deal to me.

I'm going to say that a basic skill that a lot of people never learn is to have self-esteem.

My parents, as much as I loved them, did sort of an Irish cultural thing where they insisted I don't "go around thinking you're better than anybody". The result was
that I interpreted that in sort of a "I'm not as good as other people" way and it cost me years of not trusting myself in front of strangers or in public. I was a bit on the shy side
and didn't like walking into a room if I thought there was somebody there that didn't like me, which I now know was ridiculous. I wish that the message I received from them instead
was "believe that you are as good as anybody", because it took me a while to figure that out on my own. Sadly, some people never learn it. There is nothing wrong with putting
yourself out there. Fear of failure is worse than failing, it's debilitating.

Sometimes it seems to me that everything good that has happened to me came from first believing that I could do something or deserved it even if it required overcoming
initial anxiety. One catalyst, in my case, was a Dale Carnegie course called "How to develop self-confidence and influence people through public speaking". I didn't understand
it at that time, but it helped me make some positive changes at a time when I was struggling. I think it should be taught in every High School.

Now, I wouldn't call myself cocky or arrogant, but I don't worry about a lot. I can't remember the last time I was truly afraid of doing something or felt anxious and life is a lot more fun that way.

Self-esteem is a learnable skill that every young person should have, particularly in this era, but it is never too late in life for somebody to figure it out.

Back