What is the best beach in New England?

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
For a day trip. I usually only make it once in the summer and it's usually Hampton.

For a day trip. I usually only make it once in the summer and it's usually Hampton.

Was just at Hampton and It's great fun on the Boardwalk and everything but I prefer the quiet of the lakes region and my favorite is Wellington State Park on Newfound Lake where I grew up.

Just a beach, grills, snack bar, horseshoes, volleyball, etc but it is a terrific place to unwind. And there is a great Seafood Restaurant and a higher-end steak house my friend owns at the foot of the lake for lunch or dinner.

I don't care for the ocean really and I spent half of my youth on the Cape. Old Silver Bech in Falmouth was one I always enjoyed.

Just my 2 pennies. :)

Drakes Island Beach in Maine or Jenness in Rye NH

I'm partial to Rye. There's better down the Cape but that's a long haul.

For me it's Green Harbor in Marshfield.

It's a pain in the ass to park if you don't have a local sticker and expensive. That's the bad part. You have to get there early
on weekends because you can get shut out completely.

The beach sand is fine-grained and white and when you're in the water you get the firm, scalloped stuff with very
few rocks. Sometimes there are none. The water is usually pretty calm, cold and clean, but most people can get used to it from about now until the end of
the season. All that stuff varies, like, sometimes you'll get seaweed or a storm will bring some rocks in, but usually it's great. It smells great.

I've been to beaches in Hawaii, California, Florida, South Carolina and all over the Carribbean, but when the conditions are right, GH stacks up pretty well overall.

To me, the waters off New England smell saltier and better than any of the warmer climate places above.

It sits on a miles-long curved bay connecting to Duxbury and beyond to the Plymouth hills and is a very beautiful, graceful curve of sand as far as the eye can see.

Not a great pic and a little rockier than normal, but will give some idea.

gh.jpg

Any of the beaches of the lower Cape Cod that face the Atlantic Ocean. From Race Point in P'town all the way down to Lighthouse Beach in Chatham and all beaches in between
are gorgeous, Cape Cod National Seashore & North Island Beach being my absolute favorites, although you need a boat to get to them.

Cape_Opener.jpg

since moving to Eastham, Cape Cod I can say that ALL the beaches here suck ---- both Bay side and Outer Ocean ones

no lie........don't come down here unless you want a major disappointment

Wollaston Beach Quincy, even when its closed due to sewerage treatment runoff is your better bet

they don't call the Outer Cape ocean side beaches "The Backside" for nothin'

In RI: Scarborough State Beach, Narragansett Town Beach, Miscuamicut Beach, Beavertail Park.

Last edited:
Cape Cod. I like any of them in mid cape right on down to Provincetown.

We used to go to Cape Cod on vacation when I was very young, around Falmouth. I can remember some great beaches around there.

Any of the beaches of the lower Cape Cod that face the Atlantic Ocean. From Race Point in P'town all the way down to Lighthouse Beach in Chatham and all beaches in between
are gorgeous, Cape Cod National Seashore & North Island Beach being my absolute favorites, although you need a boat to get to them.

Cape_Opener.jpg

There is no doubt that whole stretch of beach is beautiful, but I chose Green Harbor because it's easy for people to relax when they swim there and I can't say the same about
the lower Cape. Just too rough for a lot of folks, at least when I've been there.

It's also very inconvenient for parking with the shuttle bus etc., etc.

Great to look at and walk, but.....

^^^THIS!!!!^^^ especially Eastham!!....do not come

imma trying to save you people from youselves

View attachment 4969

View attachment 4970
That is awesome. Best laugh of the day.

So, RG......just out of curiosity........what is the best part of living on the Cape? What do you love about it?

I have opinions, but I never tried staying down there longer than a week. I figure you're the best possible
person to ask.

That is awesome. Best laugh of the day.

So, RG......just out of curiosity........what is the best part of living on the Cape? What do you love about it?

I have opinions, but I never tried staying down there longer than a week. I figure you're the best possible
person to ask.
glad you got a yuk Hawgie after the countless laughs you've given me ovah my board time here (y)

the best part of living here (in Summer) is being 1 1/2 miles from either The Bay or The Backside (Ocean) beaches

I swim only on the Bayside (warm waters) and people watch on The Backside since the water is so cold out there the bikini pokies can entertain even the most casual observer of the passing scene 😎

also being comped drinks at BeagleBay's bar don't hurt :rolleyes:;)

after reading of your World traveling exploits from like trekking the Patagonian region, golfing the Irish shrines of endless green, rubbing and tipping elbows w/ celebrities reknown you (as memory serves) seemingly encounter as they visit Boston and it's environs, it seems to me Eastham may be too tame for you

it's WAAY too chill here.....perhaps if this town had a Mill Hill Club (Circa 1974-ish) now, a championship golf course and mountain ranges, you could find purchase here :beer:

September is good since the weather is still warm, the people traffic is down, the restaurants and beaches are wide open and everyone (see: Mayor Larry Vaugh) is having a wonderful time --- still, it's prolly too chill for a Wild Man like you :pirate2:

iu

it's WAAY too chill here.....perhaps if this town had a Mill Hill Club (Circa 1974-ish) now, a championship golf course and mountain ranges, you could find purchase here :beer:
Ah, fond (fuzzy) memories of "Quarter Night" at the Mill Hill Club.

Last edited:
Crane Beach.

Wingaersheek.

South Beach (Martha’s Vineyard)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Grew up on the Gloucester beaches and Cranes. Wingaersheek is fascinating. You can walk out for (seemingly) miles and never reach deep water. But honestly, Love Good Harbor beach. Clean, all open ocean, deep soft white sand, excellent body-surfing waves, Actually reminds me vaguely of Bonsi Beach in Sydney. Anyway, good Harbor is my favorite I guess.

Cheers

I like to go to Cranes and walk all the way to the left until you are overlooking Little Neck on the other side of the inlet. No one is over there but the boaters because everyone is too lazy :D

Back