What Movies Have You Recently Watched?

Thoughts? OK. John seemingly has time for everything. How can be now be just getting to Gladiator?

Cheers

No shit. I know, right!? :rofl:

And I freaking love movies. This one just always escaped me.

Thoughts?

I thought Ridley Scott created a tremendous film and the writers, some epic dialogue.

I was interested in it finally because I had just been learning a bit more about Marcus Aurelius and this just seemed to follow.

Marcus's principles, while Stoic and therefore, to me not perfect but pretty damn good, ran throughout the movie and there was great unapologetic heroism the likes of which we rarely see anymore.

A terrific movie that I truly wish I had seen much sooner.

Yesterday, my wife and I went to Gillette to catch Black Widow in 3D.

It was excellent. For fans of the MCU, I don't know how much more you could expect from a prequel/passing-of-the-torch film.

David Harbor (Stranger Things) and Florence Pugh, who played Natasha's younger "sister" were outstanding. Some of the action
scenes were incredible in 3D.

There should be a pretty good crop of films coming up after the backup from 2020. That was a pretty good start for my
return to a theater.
Late to this, but Florence Pugh is outstanding. Black widow was fine overall, but a good vehicle for Pugh to steal another movie. She was tremendous in Fighting With My Family a couple years back, and there was another film - a very different type - that I saw her in and she ate up the screen there as well. But subtly. Not in a Depp/Cruise/Pitt way, but more of an Ed Norton/Sam/Rockwell/Gary Oldman way. Very talented actress.

Looking very much forward to Dune and quite curious about the new Matrix.

I caught the new Marvel film Shang-Chi with my wife the other night (in RealD 3D) and thought it was way better than expected.

I never really liked "martial arts" films (which the trailer led me to think this was) and I'm skeptical of the new wokeness inherent with much of Marvel's currect direction and figured a Chinese superhero film might be hard for me to swallow, but, despite a reference to Wuhan that did not involve a virus lab and a (predictably) evil Father figure I enjoyed Simu Liu's breakout performance and the film quite a bit. The plot was convoluted, but this was not just a Jackie Chan flick on steroids, but had plenty of humor, great action and a spectacular, climactic final scene that nicely sorted out all the various questions and set the stage for more to come. Awkwafina (as Katy) almost stole the show with comic one-liners.

I feel like I'm getting worked, but I like the formula well enough to accept that is the case and the world is changing whether I want it to or not. That is rare for me, but Stan Lee isn't coming walking in that door.

I also really love the RealD 3D format and after watching Black Widow and Shang-Chi that way will now insist upon it whenever possible. There was a fight scene on construction scaffolding on the side of a high-rise building that had me squeezing the arm rests tightly. My stomach was flipping. I know nothing about this technology, but as a person that wears gradual bifocal lenses I feel like it is very comfortable visually and provides better depth and realistic separation. I find it more immersive to watch than regular 2D and is well worth the money.

just viewed Uncut Gems on Netflix last night

on it's original release, I remember reading that this was Adam Sandler in an uncharacteristic dark dramatic role for him and I kinda went :rolleyes::unsure:

however, the dialogue and story telling pace is way, way frenetic w/ quirky characters being introduced thoughout leaving you spent by the movie's end

but, Sandler is quite magnificent and as far from a Happy Gilmore or Waterboy as can be

every decision and action Sandler's character takes is full of risk and (at times) a breathless gamble :doh:

a full-featured cameo by former Celtic Kevin Garnett is especially noteworthy --- he is really, really good in his scenes

for those who haven't, it's a must see

on it's original release, I remember reading that this was Adam Sandler in an uncharacteristic dark dramatic role for him and I kinda went :rolleyes::unsure:

however, the dialogue and story telling pace is way, way frenetic w/ quirky characters being introduced thoughout leaving you spent by the movie's end

but, Sandler is quite magnificent and as far from a Happy Gilmore or Waterboy as can be

every decision and action Sandler's character takes is full of risk and (at times) a breathless gamble :doh:

a full-featured cameo by former Celtic Kevin Garnett is especially noteworthy --- he is really, really good in his scenes

Good analysis RG.

I got ripped for publicly liking this movie. Sandler pulls this character off without a hitch. Garnett is awesome.

Worth a look (I've seen it 3 times)

Yeah, it's actually not usual Adam Sandler. It's good. :coffee:

Good analysis RG.

I got ripped for publicly liking this movie. Sandler pulls this character off without a hitch. Garnett is awesome.

Worth a look (I've seen it 3 times)

I really liked the movie as well.

I like Sandler., always have. I thought his dramatic movie about post 9/11, Reign Over Me, with Don Cheadle I thought was terrific as well.

Looking very much forward to Dune and quite curious about the new Matrix.
Dune also. One of the big sci-fi moments in my youth. My memory is kinda lost. Stuck on those hideous worms, Have to reread before seeing the Movie.

Cheers

Back