What Movies Have You Recently Watched?

A classic.
How about another old classic... "Did she smell like a Cheeseburger" ? :)
(hope I am remembering that one correct..... believe that is a real oldie)
You are remembering correctly.

Here’s the Red Lobster thread:

Generally I agree - I'll take my superhero films as superhero films, and my noir films as noir films, thanks. However, I'll take the side effect of Nirvana suddenly being popular with Gen Z. Here's hoping it spreads to other solid music.
Agreed, the use of Nirvana was the best thing about the movie.

Just got back from seeing Top Gun: Maverick.

:thumb:

Nice to see an action movie with minimal CGI, and actual acting.

Very well done. I wasn't thrilled with the final 20 odd minutes, which IMHO, went from the sublime to the ridiculous, but hey, I've seen an awful lot worse in the MCU.

I also like the fact that Tom Cruise apparently decided to give a big :4321: to China with keeping the flag patch on the back of his jacket, from the original movie.

Oh and if you're not familiar with him, IMHO, The Critical Drinker, is a must see movie critic. I find his tastes and mine align very well.

NSFW, Fbombs

I went with the wife to see Elvis on Friday. I thought it was actually a really well done movie. I really didn't know a whole lot of the details about Elvis's relationship with the Colonel but Parker definitely came off looking like a total POS in the movie. That probably explains why Priscilla endorsed the movie. I'm not sure that some of the older Elvis fans will really enjoy the movie since they mixed in some modern artists into the soundtrack. I would give it a solid 7/10.

I went with the wife to see Elvis on Friday. I thought it was actually a really well done movie. I really didn't know a whole lot of the details about Elvis's relationship with the Colonel but Parker definitely came off looking like a total POS in the movie. DeThat probably explains why Priscilla endorsed the movie. I'm not sure that some of the older Elvis fans will really enjoy the movie since they mixed in some modern artists into the soundtrack. I would give it a solid 7/10.
Both my wife and I had a hard time understanding Hanks half the time. Elvis came on the scene when I was about 10, and I was not a fan. The Beatles came along when I in HS and made Elvis irrelevant for a while.
I thought that the movie was very well done. I'll watch it again on DVD and maybe use subtitles to understand what Hanks is saying.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent .... I was just looking at Cage's IMDB, I haven't seen anything he has done in a decade (though I do want to see Pig), but there was just a pull about this that made me actually like it....and it really does pay off, Cage playing a crazier version of himself is great; good cast; even if the plot is a little obvious, the whole movies really works. Even my skeptical wife LOLd during it.

Both my wife and I had a hard time understanding Hanks half the time. Elvis came on the scene when I was about 10, and I was not a fan. The Beatles came along when I in HS and made Elvis irrelevant for a while.
I thought that the movie was very well done. I'll watch it again on DVD and maybe use subtitles to understand what Hanks is saying.
I thought he sounded like Goldmember at times. :ROFLMAO:

We also went to see the new Top Gun which we thought was very good. That was the first movie we have gone to see in over 2 years.
The last movie we went to see before that was Midway, which was very,very good.

We also went to see the new Top Gun which we thought was very good. That was the first movie we have gone to see in over 2 years.
The last movie we went to see before that was Midway, which was very,very good.

I can't stand Tom Cruise and never loved the original Top Gun, but my wife's people insisted that she had to see it, because it's the greatest
thing ever, so I agreed to take her out to the Gillette cinemas to watch that weirdo, horse-toothed jackass who can't act his way out of a paper bag.

Well, we both loved it. Yes, there are some predictable sequences, but I thought the script was well-done in terms of paying homage to the
original and yet addressed the lengthy gap between the two in a plausible enough way. Cruise was slightly more tolerable and slightly less cocky
than usual but I went to see Maverick for fast jets and explosions. Others might go for washboard abs and romance, but it's the former that sells tickets.

The dogfights, flying and aerial-combat stuff were probably the best ever put on film and the last 20 minutes or so were both implausible and extremely
entertaining. Pure adrenaline rush. This flick just passed a billion bucks for a reason-- it gives you plenty enough "OMG!!!" moments to take it's place as a classic summer
blockbuster with likely re-watchability. If I was doing a two-word review it would be: ZOOOOM!!!!!......BOOOOM!!!!!!

I don't talk out loud at the movies, but at one point I opined "this Cruise guy seems like a nice fella, I might look into that Scientology stuff" which earned a few
polite chuckles from our neighbors and a healthy punch in the arm from my Wife.

It was a fun watch.

I can't stand Tom Cruise and never loved the original Top Gun, but my wife's people insisted that she had to see it, because it's the greatest
thing ever, so I agreed to take her out to the Gillette cinemas to watch that weirdo, horse-toothed jackass who can't act his way out of a paper bag.

Well, we both loved it. Yes, there are some predictable sequences, but I thought the script was well-done in terms of paying homage to the
original and yet addressed the lengthy gap between the two in a plausible enough way. Cruise was slightly more tolerable and slightly less cocky
than usual but I went to see Maverick for fast jets and explosions. Others might go for washboard abs and romance, but it's the former that sells tickets.

The dogfights, flying and aerial-combat stuff were probably the best ever put on film and the last 20 minutes or so were both implausible and extremely
entertaining. Pure adrenaline rush. This flick just passed a billion bucks for a reason-- it gives you plenty enough "OMG!!!" moments to take it's place as a classic summer
blockbuster with likely re-watchability. If I was doing a two-word review it would be: ZOOOOM!!!!!......BOOOOM!!!!!!

I don't talk out loud at the movies, but at one point I opined "this Cruise guy seems like a nice fella, I might look into that Scientology stuff" which earned a few
polite chuckles from our neighbors and a healthy punch in the arm from my Wife.

It was a fun watch.
I'm also not a big Cruise fan. I scoffed at a movie he made when I saw the title, The Last Samurai. I said white boy Cruise is going to play a Japanese samurai give me a break.
Well I saw the movie on DVD and it was excellent. Then there was Jack Reacher another that I scoffed at and was very good. But then whole MI series sucked and I don't care what anyone says, the first 2 I started watching and shut off, they suck. And I'm sure that 3,4, 5, and 6 totally suck. I'd rather watch Little Women with my wife and pretend that I like it, than a MI movie.

Last edited:

To each his own, but I don't agree with the last part in bold.

I can't find the video from The Critical Drinker, right now, but he put together a compilation of Cruise communicating precisely what the story in the movie script called for simply by facial expressions.

There were plenty of examples of this in TG:M as well.

I agree the whole Scientology thing is beaucoup "weird", but the dude can act.

I can't find the video from The Critical Drinker, right now, but he put together a compilation of Cruise communicating precisely what the story in the movie script called for simply by facial expressions.

Speaking of which, I've been on a movie nostalgia journey recently and will see how well Risky Business has aged tonight.

I agree completely. If I tossed everyone out for some shitty thinking I'd miss the boat.

Pink Floyd is my favorite band of all time. Roger Waters is self avowed advocate of Comnunism. Took me a while, but you know what? Brilliant in so many other ways that have brought much to my life. Not throwing the baby out with bath water. To do so would be ripping a part me away in the process.

Maverick, just hell yes. The action and all that are phenomenal but that just excentuates what I found of immense value.

In a world losing its collective mind I watched that movie, alone, without friends with me. At the end a number of folks who were clearly veterans stood up and applauded and cheered.

A number of us spoke afterwards, Tears streaming down. They got it.

For the first time in many years a movie was made that did not bow to anyone as it gave unapologetic reverence to the exceptional, yes I said it, exceptional founding principles of the United States of America

Well done Tom and thank you for the new friends.

🇺🇸

Last edited:
Cruise has been in a lot of good movies(We might not share the same beliefs) but I can separate personnel versus professional to some degree
(Deshaun Watson. .not so much ) , One movie I liked with cruise that never gets talked about is TAPS.

I'll plug a movie that is a new release on NF titled "Operation Mincemeat".

It's in the trailer, so it's not a spoiler to mention that the plot, which is based on an astonishing-yet-true story, revolves around some of the WWII British/Allied attempts to
deceive and influence the Nazis using highly imaginative (and incredibly risky) spycraft, specifically, their usage of a corpse implanted with fake documents and cleverly
delivered into enemy hands. The story is told through the team that conceived and attempted that longshot gamble.

There is a massive book I'd read titled "Bodyguard of Lies" which covers all of this in detail, but the film is quite well-done/entertaining and highlights a
chapter in history of incredible importance that many of us are unfamiliar with. It helps us understand how the entire fate of this planet balanced on the edge of
very narrow razor and one wrong move could have changed everything.

There are a lot of crap films released on NF every month, but this isn't one of them. Quality stuff with a great cast.

I'll plug a movie that is a new release on NF titled "Operation Mincemeat".

It's in the trailer, so it's not a spoiler to mention that the plot, which is based on an astonishing-yet-true story, revolves around some of the WWII British/Allied attempts to
deceive and influence the Nazis using highly imaginative (and incredibly risky) spycraft, specifically, their usage of a corpse implanted with fake documents and cleverly
delivered into enemy hands. The story is told through the team that conceived and attempted that longshot gamble.

There is a massive book I'd read titled "Bodyguard of Lies" which covers all of this in detail, but the film is quite well-done/entertaining and highlights a
chapter in history of incredible importance that many of us are unfamiliar with. It helps us understand how the entire fate of this planet balanced on the edge of
very narrow razor and one wrong move could have changed everything.

There are a lot of crap films released on NF every month, but this isn't one of them. Quality stuff with a great cast.

Yeah, great cast, superb acting.

:encouragement: :encouragement:

We went to see Top Gun today. I really wish I would have seen it at an Imax or at the very least a better theater but it was still a great movie. I just might go back and see it again. 🤷‍♂️

I’m not a movie person ... I’d rather read the book I know weird. Hubby is watching for the thousand time The Godfather as we speak .... gag me lol.

~Dee~

We went to see Top Gun today. I really wish I would have seen it at an Imax or at the very least a better theater but it was still a great movie. I just might go back and see it again. 🤷‍♂️

Imax is the way to experience this movie best. For me anyway.

Back