What Movies Have You Recently Watched?

You have limits in your mind. I guess that's OK...if that's what you want.

No, I just know for a fact that aesthetics is subject of study. In fact it is the branch of philosophy which studies art and man's relationship to it.

Let's get talking and see who knows his shit.

I haven't created any art since a double album I recorded in the late 90s. I would ask you same but I've seen it and you haven't created any either.

Sorry. That was a bit harsh.

But, art is subjective. I have a thick skin. I don't much care whomever thinks my stuff isn't good. It's only their opinion. I have many fans.

Here's what I do know as a fact:

You cannot be everything to everyone.

What you love will not be what everyone else will love.

And that's actually OK.

And I'm OK with that.

Beat poet extraodinaire Alan Ginsburg once wrote the word "Bong" over 30 times to make a square.

Poetry. Nah. Just puking on paper.
So how do you know that wasn’t his selective recreation of reality according to his metaphysical value judgements?

because it doesn’t match your value judgements?

So how do you know that wasn’t his selective recreation of reality according to his metaphysical value judgements?

because it doesn’t match your value judgements?

Oh, it was. Clearly Ginsburg had a very unique perspective but this did not in any way fit the medium or standard for poetry any more than that dude who splatter painted canvases with explosive diarrhea was a painter.

I suppose I left out the medium part of my definition. My apologies.

Oh, it was. Clearly Ginsburg had a very unique perspective but this did not in any way fit the medium or standard for poetry any more than that dude who splatter painted canvases with explosive diarrhea was a painter.

I suppose I left out the medium part of my definition. My apologies.

so then, if a “medium or standard” definition applies, that raises two obvious questions.

who defines these “medium or “standards”. Whomever “they” are, on what basis is their opinion definitive? More to the point, what about those who don’t agree with “them”?

in the art world it is a certainty those people exist, why are their perspective and opinions irrelevant?

Because you don’t find their work “good”?

that’s my point. Defining “art” isn’t in the eye of the beholder, but in the soul of the creator.

yes there is a crapton of pretentious bovine excrement art out there and the fact that I personally find it as such does not mean it is not art.

the alternative is to claim a certain degree of omniscience, that one can define human behavior and creativity in absolute terms.

is that what you claim?

so then, if a “medium or standard” definition applies, that raises two obvious questions.

who defines these “medium or “standards”. Whomever “they” are, on what basis is their opinion definitive? More to the point, what about those who don’t agree with “them”?

in the art world it is a certainty those people exist, why are their perspective and opinions irrelevant?

Because you don’t find their work “good”?

that’s my point. Defining “art” isn’t in the eye of the beholder, but in the soul of the creator.

yes there is a crapton of pretentious bovine excrement art out there and the fact that I personally find it as such does not mean it is not art.

the alternative is to claim a certain degree of omniscience, that one can define human behavior and creativity in absolute terms.

is that what you claim?

Once again as with everything else reality is the final arbiter. Aesthetics is a philosophical topic and part of the philosophical hierarchy. But guess what? That would actually require a philosophical discussion which everyone seems to be allergic to here. And sadly so as one's philosophy is what guides every thought and action in a person's life. No wonder so many are lost and confused.

To steal from a pretty smart Russian woman once again, those who deny the importance of philosophy are most desperately in its grip and in need of understanding of it.

Watched Hocus Pocus and Hocus Pocus 2 this weekend. Surprisingly my wife had never seen the original. Some of her friends were going absolutely bonkers to see it so I set up a tv out on the deck and cooked some food so her and her friends could watch them both. I sat in the back and casually watched it with a couple of the other guys while I watched the Nebraska game on my phone. I don't even know if it was good or not but it was worth it hearing all of them laughing and having a good time. I think they all agreed that the original was much better. The only thing I took away from the night was DAMN was Sarah Jessica Parker hot in the first one. :ROFLMAO:

Back