What To Do After Patricia’s Lions Contract Ends in 2022

Sure, I would. I'm a diehard Patriots fan first and foremost and always will be. I'll take any plausible excuse to feel good about our chances.

For instance, I just bet one of my brothers (not Jerry) that we'll win either 3 or 4 of the remaining games. He's got 1 or 2 wins. The stakes are a rack of candied bacon
and the best bourbon or scotch at the Charred Oak Tavern in my hometown.

I figure there is nothing that we've shown so far to make me think we actually can win at least 3 of the last 4, but it's not completely impossible and I want that
bacon and booze whether I have to pay for it or not.

I am a fanboy, but this season has ground me down and made me extremely angry and not as reasonable as usual. I choose to assign the biggest slice of blame pie to
Matt Patricia even if I don't really know if that is reasonable or not.

It's a best-guess. I hate that fat fuck and want him gone. If that makes me ureasonable than so be it.

I'll give him the last couple games to change my mind.

I was extremely critical of McIdiot and think the Pats would have 1 or 2 more rings from 2005-2013 if BB chose a different person as OC. The fact Patricia has shown a flexibility to adapt multiple different times this season tells me he's actively aware and adjusting. But he's out of his element as OLine coach if Mike Reiss recently posted they messed up with 5 linemen blocking only 3 guys, we need better than HS-level OLine coaching for the Pats.

I was extremely critical of McIdiot and think the Pats would have 1 or 2 more rings from 2005-2013 if BB chose a different person as OC. The fact Patricia has shown a flexibility to adapt multiple different times this season tells me he's actively aware and adjusting. But he's out of his element as OLine coach if Mike Reiss recently posted they messed up with 5 linemen blocking only 3 guys, we need better than HS-level OLine coaching for the Pats.
i agree, I feel like they need to take him away from coaching the oline and let him focus on OC

I'm not in agreement with the bolded part. Not even a little bit, but what really galls me is the poor reaction to basic stunts. To me, that stuff is where we excelled during the Scarnecchia
era and the whole line, including Andrews, seems to be puzzled by what to do for even the most basic Tackle/End loops. It's fundamentals and that is coaching.

It's not a formula for success and every team we play down the stretch has two excellent pass rushers at the edges to work with. The only thing we can do from here on out is exactly what looked
so ugly this past Monday. Quick screens and everything compacted into the short zones with only an occasional shot play downfield.

I admit that one 12-yard completion to 3Phase Jones gave Patricia license to use that particular threat to run some creative plays, but I'm not holding my breath that suddenly Patricia has
got anything figured out because of one rookie's handful of Offensive plays. That's the kind of shit that every team uses every week and we've got to wait until the season is almost over to see signs of life? Why didn't we do something similar when Thornton had that two TD game early in the season? Sure, he got hurt, but we haven't tried a jet sweep to him since he's been back.

We can't block and we don't have anything else to try. Much as I'd love to see it otherwise, we are what we are. A poor Offense that puts pressure on the other two phases because we
can't play field position football, which is has been a Patriot staple for 20 plus years. We've been in 3rd and long for the entire year because we keep going backwards.

I'm not in agreement with the bolded part. Not even a little bit, but what really galls me is the poor reaction to basic stunts. To me, that stuff is where we excelled during the Scarnecchia
era and the whole line, including Andrews, seems to be puzzled by what to do for even the most basic Tackle/End loops. It's fundamentals and that is coaching.

It's not a formula for success and every team we play down the stretch has two excellent pass rushers at the edges to work with. The only thing we can do from here on out is exactly what looked
so ugly this past Monday. Quick screens and everything compacted into the short zones with only an occasional shot play downfield.

I admit that one 12-yard completion to 3Phase Jones gave Patricia license to use that particular threat to run some creative plays, but I'm not holding my breath that suddenly Patricia has
got anything figured out because of one rookie's handful of Offensive plays. That's the kind of shit that every team uses every week and we've got to wait until the season is almost over to see signs of life? Why didn't we do something similar when Thornton had that two TD game early in the season? Sure, he got hurt, but we haven't tried a jet sweep to him since he's been back.

We can't block and we don't have anything else to try. Much as I'd love to see it otherwise, we are what we are. A poor Offense that puts pressure on the other two phases because we
can't play field position football, which is has been a Patriot staple for 20 plus years. We've been in 3rd and long for the entire year because we keep going backwards.

Agree, but to summarize it sounds like a lot of your issue is with OLine. I am splitting them into 2 things, I can give Patricia a pass as OC if they score more points to end the year, and agree with you that we still need a full time great OLine coach. He can't do 2, the OLine is not doing its job

Patricia has been flexible and adjusting? Maybe a tiny bit and at a ridiculously slow rate.

would be funny if BB pulls a tb12 and goes to a loaded Chargers team and wins a ring
Might happen that he gets a ring with the chargers if he signs TB12 in the offseason.

I’m mentally prepared for the real possibility BB lets this ride with both Patricia and Judge and people will lose their sh-t.

If his rationale was putting in some guys that would stay awhile, then he’s going to stick with this rather than totally change it up after one year
That possibility IMO is most likely. These are Bills guys. He’s not firing them after one season especially when he tweaked the system on top.

Would your mind change if they put up 25+ points per game in the remaining games? I might.

One thing I will credit Patricia for is a willingness to adapt and change all season long. Shows some intelligence and awareness. I do think he needs an elite OLine coach though, he can't do both at the same time.
You do know the Pats end with Fins , Bills and Bengals? We are most likely staring at a 1-4 finish again like the previous two seasons.

Idk, I've been seeing new formations/plays almost every week.
Nothing really different that would show progression. Changing out one poor play with another isn't adjusting the play calling strategy (or even having one) and blocking schemes set up to fail given the OL play, injuries and illness.

Involving Marcus was great. Forgetting Henry and Thornton existed for 11 weeks was not. Planting Bourne in his dog house was not. How many more weeks was he going to tell Mac to throw deep had he not gotten hurt?

Thank goodness the RB's are easily the best group in the NFL and that Mac Jones refused to be crushed by him.

Back