What was the last show you binged, and was it worth the time?

I don't binge watch much. I did Making of a murderer.

~Dee~

Jessica Jones and Man in the High Castle, both definitely worth it (and if you're a comics fan: binge read 'Alias', which Jessica Jones is taken from.

Not sure what's next. Mostly catching up on my DVR backlog.

Just watched the first episode of Man in the High Castle earlier this evening and we really enjoyed it. A well-imagined view of what Nazi/Japanese-occupied US would look like.

We've recently watched Series 5 of Homeland over a couple of weeks. I binged The Wire years ago, when I was out of work as a contractor, and loved it.

---------- Post added at 04:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

I'll second "Making a Murderer" from Netflix.

I've never seen anything quite like it. Even though the 10 episodes are loaded with idiots, scumbags, rednecks, space cadets, incompetents, sleazeballs, liars, perverts and just a few normal folks in a grimy setting it is still a fascinating case filled with twists and turns that seem beyond fiction.

I've also never seen a criminal case covered in such a comprehensive way. At times I felt like a voyeur the way the camera exposed the lives of these people or how willing all the participants were to talk to the camera no matter what was going on.

I don't know if it's available yet, but season 1 of HBO's True Detective was amazing.

I keep hearing good things about it, so we'll have to watch at some point. Both series of True Detective are on Amazon video, so I would assume they are over the pond. Loved series 1, but we were advised that series 2 is quite a drop-off.

I keep hearing good things about it, so we'll have to watch at some point. Both series of True Detective are on Amazon video, so I would assume they are over the pond. Loved series 1, but we were advised that series 2 is quite a drop-off.

My opinion may be in the minority, but I think if Season 2 had lead off the series it would have gotten better treatment. But following Season 1, it was almost destined to be downgraded. Yes, it is a drop-off, but it's a drop-off from amazing.

Imagine the poor bastage who follows Brady here. He may be a very good quarterback, but he will have ginormous shoes to fill.

My opinion may be in the minority, but I think if Season 2 had lead off the series it would have gotten better treatment. But following Season 1, it was almost destined to be downgraded. Yes, it is a drop-off, but it's a drop-off from amazing.

Imagine the poor bastage who follows Brady here. He may be a very good quarterback, but he will have ginormous shoes to fill.

Thanks. In that case, we may well add it to the list. We got a smart TV (Samsung) and it's great to just be able to stream series, rather than get them on DVD. HD really adds something.

For stuff to watch, I'd strongly recommend Fargo series one (we've just started series two and Will intertwine it with Man in the High Castle).

Justified was also brilliant; Timothy Olyphant plays a US Deputy Marshal in Kentucky, who constantly ends up in scrapes. It has that humour that Fargo has, so is closer to black comedy in some ways. He effectively plays Clint Eastwood's laconic characters and it really works.

We also started and never finished The Following, as it felt quite ridiculous and entirely implausible.

One other show that I found addictive was "The Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt" on Netflix.

Since there hasn't beem much lighter fare mentioned, I figure this show is worth plugging. Humor is always a subjective thing, but I found this show to be a quirky, smartly-written and funny fish-out-of-water story that a lot of people will like.

Kimmie (Ellie Kemper) is great but, her pal Titus Andromedon is, I thought, laugh out loud funny. He's awesome. Great cast with plenty of star cameos and sometimes it's nice to watch a quick half-hour episode of something that doesn't involve death, blood or explosions.

My wife generally hates everything that I like, but she liked this one, so it's a potential "couples" show.

None, since all 8 seasons of 24. Believe it or not, haven't seen a single episode of "Breaking Bad", so it's next up I guess.

Cheers, BostonTim

I've binged on most above now binging on Netflix Midsummer Murders from British TV awesome series

Any suggestions to watch with girlfriend on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu? She's never seen the Walking Dead and said she would watch it because of people at work talking about. Never seen There's Something about Mary which I hope to watch with her tonight, thinking also that she might like Breaking bad and Lost

I've binged on most above now binging on Netflix Midsummer Murders from British TV awesome series

Yes. Nice series.

More locals murdered than Cabot's Cove.:coffee:

Eighteen Seasons. 90 minute episodes. Imagine you have a ways to go. Either that or it's an EPIC Binge.

Cheers, BostonTim

Just finished season 2 of Fargo last week. DEFINITELY worth it. Did a nice tie in to the first season at the end.

The last show I binge watched was Breaking Bad and it was totally worth it. A lot of tv sucks, but the quality of character development, innovative stories, sense of place/culture, unexpected plot in some premium series is up there with any Academy Award movie.

I think the modern trend of high quality drama series started with Oz and the Sopranos on HBO.

The best show I've ever binge watched (or just watched period) was The Wire. I encourage anyone who hasn't watched it to give it a shot. The realism of how it portrays the problems of urban America and its institutions - the drug dealers, cops, politicians, schools, newspapers, and the kids caught in the middle is on a level nothing else has come close to. It's not some preachy thing - awesome character development, suspense, humor, tragedy, gritty realism. Need to watch it from the beginning, though.

Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) is pretty good in a BBC series called Luther that's on PBS now, where he plays a tough, weary London homicide cop. It blew me away when I found out that him, Dominic West (McNulty) actually have cockney accents and the the guy who played Mayor Carchetti was from Ireland. Never thought for a minute that they weren't from America/Baltimore.

I've got mixed opinions on binge watching. It's fun to be able to kick back on your couch and immerse yourself in great storytelling for as long as you want - like getting into a good novel and burning through 300 pages, but you lose something from watching the episodes a week at a time when they air. Like with some of the great Soprano's episodes, the impact of the scenes Adrianna or Ralph Cifferetto got killed would have been different if I'd watched the next 4 episodes immediately afterward. It can be cool to have a week to take things in and wonder what's going to happen next.

One other show that I found addictive was "The Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt" on Netflix.

Since there hasn't beem much lighter fare mentioned, I figure this show is worth plugging. Humor is always a subjective thing, but I found this show to be a quirky, smartly-written and funny fish-out-of-water story that a lot of people will like.

Kimmie (Ellie Kemper) is great but, her pal Titus Andromedon is, I thought, laugh out loud funny. He's awesome. Great cast with plenty of star cameos and sometimes it's nice to watch a quick half-hour episode of something that doesn't involve death, blood or explosions.

My wife generally hates everything that I like, but she liked this one, so it's a potential "couples" show.

My daughter turned us on to this, We loved it.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

I have been binge watching Mozart in the Jungle.

Prior to Battlestar Galactica, my previous binges were 24, Prison Break and Band of Brothers which was DVD box set and utterly brilliant.

We liked this show as well, although I thought it faded a bit at the end. It felt like they were running out of material. Hopefully the 2nd season will be good.

Another Netflix show we loved was Daredevil.

Yes. Nice series.

More locals murdered than Cabot's Cove.:coffee:

Eighteen Seasons. 90 minute episodes. Imagine you have a ways to go. Either that or it's an EPIC Binge.

Cheers, BostonTim

I have quite a ways to go season 5 now, I try to watch an episode a night

One more foreign binge that I thought was worth recommending is Top of the Lake. (netflix).

It's a TV series from New Zealand about a female detective, played by Elizabeth Moss (who is awesome) who returns to her small home town to take care of her Mother and ends up entangled in an investigation into the murder of a 12 year-old pregnant girl.

It's smart, classy, dark, beautiful to look at and filled with unusual characters and plot twists. Nothing is as it seems. I got hooked by this one in about 15 minutes.

I really tried Breaking Bad. But like SOA I got all nervous for some reason and had to stop. My best binging comes from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 AM ----------

Any suggestions to watch with girlfriend on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu? She's never seen the Walking Dead and said she would watch it because of people at work talking about. Never seen There's Something about Mary which I hope to watch with her tonight, thinking also that she might like Breaking bad and Lost

Try the Peeky Blinders

Back