What was the last show you binged, and was it worth the time?

I'm on a rewatch of ten seasons of Letterkenny (short episodes). I've previously plugged it, but don't recall if anybody else liked it. It's about a small farming community in Ontario and the quirky
characters that inhabit such a place. The social hierarchy breaks down into several main categories: Hicks, Skids, Hockey Players, Natives and the French . It's the language these
folks use that fascinates me the most as if the rural enviornment they exist in forced the Hicks (the focal point of the show) to develop a unique brand of English to entertain
themselves when, well, there isn't all that much to do. I love the many snappy phrases they come out with and it reminds me of the South Weymouth neighborhood
I grew up in. Colorful characters shooting the shit in creative ways to attempt to fend off boredom against which even the Gods themselves struggle against in vain.

The writing is, to me, extremely clever and funny and the humor raunchy and earthy. It amazes me that these actors are able to finish any of the scenes without
cracking up. It's probably not for everybody, but I'm enjoying it a 2nd time through. The women are beautiful, the soundtrack is eclectic and you can get drawn into a
different world that is, for me, feels oddly familiar. Or you can just enjoy the frequent beer-fueled parties, the absurd politically incorrect dialog and the numerous face-meltingly
hot chicks.

This show is ridiculous, intelligent, heartwarming, stupid and entirely entertaining. It's a lot like life (or the Planet, really) and I'm glad I stumbled across it and it's newer hockey
-centric spin-off series "Shoresy". Both can be found on Hulu.

I'm on a rewatch of ten seasons of Letterkenny (short episodes). I've previously plugged it, but don't recall if anybody else liked it. It's about a small farming community in Ontario and the quirky
characters that inhabit such a place. The social hierarchy breaks down into several main categories: Hicks, Skids, Hockey Players, Natives and the French . It's the language these
folks use that fascinates me the most as if the rural enviornment they exist in forced the Hicks (the focal point of the show) to develop a unique brand of English to entertain
themselves when, well, there isn't all that much to do. I love the many snappy phrases they come out with and it reminds me of the South Weymouth neighborhood
I grew up in. Colorful characters shooting the shit in creative ways to attempt to fend off boredom against which even the Gods themselves struggle against in vain.

The writing is, to me, extremely clever and funny and the humor raunchy and earthy. It amazes me that these actors are able to finish any of the scenes without
cracking up. It's probably not for everybody, but I'm enjoying it a 2nd time through. The women are beautiful, the soundtrack is eclectic and you can get drawn into a
different world that is, for me, feels oddly familiar. Or you can just enjoy the frequent beer-fueled parties, the absurd politically incorrect dialog and the numerous face-meltingly
hot chicks.

This show is ridiculous, intelligent, heartwarming, stupid and entirely entertaining. It's a lot like life (or the Planet, really) and I'm glad I stumbled across it and it's newer hockey
I’m a fan and growing up in Canada makes it all the funnier to me

hot chicks.

I watched a couple episodes a good while ago at friends. Only remember this fartbook thing. As previously harped on, my memory is a thing of the past (I see what I did there) Need to get Hulu here.

Cheers

"Untold: The Girlfriend who didn't exist" dropped on Netflix this week and I watched both episodes last night.

It is a comprehensive look at the incredibly bizarre Manti Te'o situation from 2011-13 and, aside from the choppy first few minutes, is a
typically excellent docu from the unheralded "Untold" series. All of their stuff is top-notch.

Looking back, it seems like this was a watershed episode in the history of the internet when people started to understand what a
powerful tool it was to destroy somebody's life and/or to bend reality to suit yourself. Before that, things seemed more innocent. More civil.

I found it both riveting and sad. Manti himself seems completely open and honest and I found it heartbreaking to watch such a sincere and
naive (by Masshole cultural standards) dude get his psyche turned inside out by a catfishing sociopath with gender issues. The whole world
(myself included) had a great time trashing him back then. I felt like I judged him casually without any concern that I would ever
be on the hot seat, but I found it brutal to watch the carnage again.

"She" (I'll go along with the pronoun) also gets plenty of interview time and is happy enough to provide plenty of detail on how the house of cards
was built and how it all tumbled down, but came out of it way too unscathed, IMO. She was allowed to rationalize her every diabolical move without being challenged.

Total trainwreck.

I am a pretty major Neil Gaiman fan so I've been enjoying "The Sandman" on Netflix.
Yeah, we’re 10 odd episodes in (ending where Lucifer meets with the rip in space many head demon)

lot’s of twists, in a good way.

thought it was a nice touch in the ending to that episode that Lucifer has a recreation of Saint Peter’s square in the Vatican.

No love for The Terminal List?

thought it was well done, but somewhat predictable.

Oh I don't know. One of the very first episodes of Season 1 dealt with forced gender assignment of Bortus's kid and Seth is doing what the original Star Trek did - addressing social issues of the time. The original series is full of examples of dealing with racism and all kind of relevant social issues that Roddenberry never would have been able to get away with on any other type of show. TNG did this as well often. To me, that is part of what made them quintessentially Star Trek.

That being said, I haven't seen season 3 yet as I am doing a full re-watch and just started season one last night, so I can't speak yet to what changes may have happened.

Here's an example, from what I believe is season 1, making the kind of social commentary you're referring to.

View: https://youtu.be/GEPZQ13kh7U

An interesting defense of a Republic vs a Absolute Democracy. Almost Libertarian.

Of course, one could also view it as a critique of cancel culture, although I'm not sure that was their intent.

I haven't seen the streamed versions of the show, so I can't speak to Hawg's comment. However, if others viewed this clip as a critique of cancel culture, I can see that McFarlane might change course out of simple survival instinct.

Here's an example, from what I believe is season 1, making the kind of social commentary you're referring to.

View: https://youtu.be/GEPZQ13kh7U

An interesting defense of a Republic vs a Absolute Democracy. Almost Libertarian.

Of course, one could also view it as a critique of cancel culture, although I'm not sure that was their intent.

I haven't seen the streamed versions of the show, so I can't speak to Hawg's comment. However, if others viewed this clip as a critique of cancel culture, I can see that McFarlane might change course out of simple survival instinct.

So, I went back and finished season 3 and while I'm not apologizing for the views I stated here, I will admit that the season did get better and there were a couple of impressive,
longish episodes that followed the one that I griped about. Incidentally, I generally don't have a big problem with people with gender issues but since I've almost never actually
encountered one in the real world I don't see why suddenly every show feels the need to weigh in on the issue.

People aren't making many shows for people like me these days and if I don't care for them I have the option of not watching or making fun of them and I often do both. I cancel them. No big deal.

"Socially progressive" (eyeroll) shows are nothing new, but if somebody wants to use the airwaves to lead the viewers they should at least make the shows
entertaining and subtle enough so that people don't even realize they are being led. I was a bit upset because I hated to see the Orville, a show that I thought was unique and creative going the same way as virtually everything else coming out of Hollywood and New York, but it is what it is. Seth made a career move, so we'll see how that goes for him.

Watching Vikings on Hulu, we're at the end of season 2 and I love the characters in this show. It's a fairly violent show which is to be expected from that period in time, the difference between the Vikings and the English is so stark (religiously), favorite character right now besides Ragnar Lothbrok is Floki, what a crazy dude but so loyal to his family.

Reactions: Alk
Just finished first two seasons of Goliath. Pretty good, not great. On to season 3.

What's it about?
Billy Bob Thornton plays a disgraced divorced alcoholic lawyer on the comeback. He had been cofounder of a super high end law firm before things went sideways. In Season 1 he is suing his old firm's biggest client. Billy is David, his old firm is goliath. Season one got a lot of Kudos. I thought season two was a little confusing and spread a bit thin, but thornton is a fine actor.

Billy Bob Thornton plays a disgraced divorced alcoholic lawyer on the comeback. He had been cofounder of a super high end law firm before things went sideways. In Season 1 he is suing his old firm's biggest client. Billy is David, his old firm is goliath. Season one got a lot of Kudos. I thought season two was a little confusing and spread a bit thin, but thornton is a fine actor.
Billy is one of my favorite. I'll give it a shot. Which stream?

He trashed his convertible Stang...he needs a beat down for that.

Billy is one of my favorite. I'll give it a shot. Which stream?
BTW, there's a really useful app called JustWatch, where you plug a show or movie and it breaks down all the apps/services that have it available to stream, rent, or buy, with the prices where applicable.

BTW, there's a really useful app called JustWatch, where you plug a show or movie and it breaks down all the apps/services that have it available to stream, rent, or buy, with the prices where applicable.
In search or drop down menu?

Back