What's for dinner?

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
In this thread I figure we can discuss what we're making for dinner, maybe you'll get some meal ideas, if something sounds delicious ask for the recipe, or if you've got something which is solid gold feel free to just share the recipe, and regardless we can all make each other hungry :toast:

Tonight I'm making Carolina style pulled chicken sliders with pickles and various sauces. I'm accompanying that with a grilled corn, tomato and basil salad. Pretty basic but it should be delicious, and since the slow cooker will be involved I'll have the smell of the chicken cooking to tempt me all day long.

do you grill the corn in the husk or not? I have been for the past two years and like it better this way.

I've done it both ways. Sunday night at the tailgate was the first time I grilled the corn directly on the grate without the husk. I really liked it (and it's less work).

do you grill the corn in the husk or not? I have been for the past two years and like it better this way.

I like grilling in husk. It seems to retain the moisture and not dry the corn as much. This is the best time of year for corn. Yum.

I like grilling in husk. It seems to retain the moisture and not dry the corn as much. This is the best time of year for corn. Yum.

Our local Mennonites pick it daily. Last Saturday we pulled up just as they were coming in from the field with the day's harvest.

Is there a reason we aren't boiling the corn? Kinda love it that way.

Where? Do you mean they're Mennonites?
Mennonites are everywhere. They're a modernized version of the Amish.

I knew they're in Pennsylvania and Kansas mostly.

Their uni's suck...

In Montana, Hutterites are all over the state. They're another branch from the Amish and Mennonites.

I knew they're in Pennsylvania and Kansas mostly.

Their uni's suck...

In Montana, Hutterites are all over the state. They're another branch from the Amish and Mennonites.

Our local clan comes from Pennsylvania. They moved up to this area more than 15 years ago and they've been growing since. They own quite a bit of land in town. They're know for their sheds and furniture (very pricey) and their corn (picked daily between August and mid October).

They're generally friendly, but they keep their kids home schooled and isolated from the general population. The men will work the fields and build the furniture, women will work the store and in the kitchen. They are never open on Sunday.

Our local clan comes from Pennsylvania. They moved up to this area more than 15 years ago and they've been growing since. They own quite a bit of land in town. They're know for their sheds and furniture (very pricey) and their corn (picked daily between August and mid October).

They're generally friendly, but they keep their kids home schooled and isolated from the general population. The men will work the fields and build the furniture, women will work the store and in the kitchen. They are never open on Sunday.

My love, my ex-girlfriends dad is a pastor of non-congregational church here in NH. They have several Mennonite members. From what I've seen they are very decent people with some curious ideas.

I'm glad that my gramps broke away from it. They do in fact have some weird traditions. But, not everything they do is bad. They're known for agriculture mostly.

My love, my ex-girlfriends dad is a pastor of non-congregational church here in NH. They have several Mennonite members. From what I've seen they are very decent people with some curious ideas.

Very surprised about that. They are generally fairly isolated. Our clan has their own church and, while friendly, they really don't care to interact too much outside of business. I have noticed that the younger ones are more outgoing than their parents.

Perhaps there's not enough of them up there to justify their own church. When our clan first moved in, a Mennonite minister would drive up from Pennsylvania every weekend to conduct services. Now that there's many more of them, they have their own building and minister.

Back