What's for dinner?

Yeah me too that’s what Dutch ovens are for.

~Dee~
Something as complex as building an awesome Chili is a hands on and all day process for me. Don't work from a recipe. So never the same chili twice. And always always always delighted with my chili. God I must spend a fortune on spices. And love working with them.

Something as complex as building an awesome Chili is a hands on and all day process for me. Don't work from a recipe. So never the same chili twice. And always always always delighted with my chili. God I must spend a fortune on spices. And love working with them.
Chili is hubby’s dish mine is gumbo and any other all day soup, pot roast short ribs etc. Made my first batch of gumbo Sunday it was rainy and cool.

~Dee~

So today I decided to make my first beef stew. Don’t ask me why I never made it. My mom always used to make it so that’s when I had it. But my mom is dead so it’s time for me to be a big boy and make my own. So I found some sirloin steak that was on sale and I decided to use that instead of the cheap shit. Yes I know I’m a snob. 🤣 anyways it came out freaking awesome. Don’t even ask me the recipe because I did everything by eye. I can tell you what I put in it.

Coated meat with flour, olive oil for frying, garlic, onions, carrots, green beans, golden potatoes, Bayleaf, Salt and pepper, A little bit Italian seasoning, two boxes of beef broth, a red wine that is perfect for deglazing and a little extra flour and water to thicken it up.

863C9199-9A53-4E53-82A2-7CD762982759.jpeg

So today I decided to make my first beef stew. Don’t ask me why I never made it. My mom always used to make it so that’s when I had it. But my mom is dead so it’s time for me to be a big boy and make my own. So I found some sirloin steak that was on sale and I decided to use that instead of the cheap shit. Yes I know I’m a snob. 🤣 anyways it came out freaking awesome. Don’t even ask me the recipe because I did everything by eye. I can tell you what I put in it.

Coated meat with flour, olive oil for frying, garlic, onions, carrots, green beans, golden potatoes, Bayleaf, Salt and pepper, A little bit Italian seasoning, two boxes of beef broth, a red wine that is perfect for deglazing and a little extra flour and water to thicken it up.

View attachment 12388
Looks like it came out well.

We're doing beef stew tomorrow, making 3 pressure cookers worth so it will be another meal this week. Using crappy meat often actually improves a stew - the fat and stringiness that are problems when cooking directly are perfect for stew.

No idea. We're bringing a starter, my jalapenos stuffed with smoked gouda and Mexican chorizo.

We'll see when we get there!

Looks like it came out well.

We're doing beef stew tomorrow, making 3 pressure cookers worth so it will be another meal this week. Using crappy meat often actually improves a stew - the fat and stringiness that are problems when cooking directly are perfect for stew.
Yeah I probably should’ve gone with a cheaper meat, but the sirloin was the same price lol. I just couldn’t pass up the sirloin and it did have quite a bit of fat on the edges which I trimmed about 70% of it. I used a enameled cast-iron pot Looks exactly like the picture. Definitely going to have leftovers. I made a ton. Although I Now weigh a ton…. 😒C9276873-86CF-45F8-8DB3-853E71DB2C97.jpeg

Yeah I probably should’ve gone with a cheaper meat, but the sirloin was the same price lol. I just couldn’t pass up the sirloin and it did have quite a bit of fat on the edges which I trimmed about 70% of it. I used a enameled cast-iron pot Looks exactly like the picture. Definitely going to have leftovers. I made a ton. Although I Now weigh a ton…. 😒View attachment 12389
The pressure cooker - an AllClad that I got as a gift from my employer - was transformative. I was hesitant to use it since I'm a traditionalist, but it's almost impossible to screw up, and it renders all the fat into the juices smoothly. All the veggies are tender without getting that overcooked feel.

I won't say I'm not a little embarrassed to be using it, but it's fabulous for stews.

View attachment 12388
Sounds delicious! But following Flag's lead usually use chuck roast cubed myself.

This is not dinner but I didn't want to start a whole new Dessert thread. I don't know if Crumbl cookies are a big thing in the NE but my wife absolutely loves them. Since your smartphone is always listening I magically had a recipe pop up on my Facebook feed for these cookies and I decided I would give them a whirl since I'm a fan of most things pumpkin. My wife took a bite and the first words out of her mouth were "What the fuck!!" :ROFLMAO: She said they tasted as good or better than Crumbl cookie. I have to admit, they are probably about the best cookie I have ever had. They're a bit of work but well worth it. I'm making two dozen this weekend to give out to people and I'm working on an apple pie version using Fireball whiskey apple pie filling.

Bratwurst, red cabbage and mashed. Suitable for GB, Wisconsin I guess

Fd3ASYnXkAIZYLL

Bratwurst, red cabbage and mashed. Suitable for GB, Wisconsin I guess

Fd3ASYnXkAIZYLL
Speaking of German sausage etc, I've been going to Karl's regularly since the sixties. They recently moved from route 1, saugus to: Karl's Sausage Kitchen · & European Market · One Bourbon Street Peabody, MA 01960 978-854-6650. All freshly made on the premises. Brat's are to die for. I'm a longtime liverwurst lover and there homemade is legendary. Just one of those places that you perceive of as YOUR place and which you are dying to send your friends to.

Cheers

I am looking for a different way to make my chicken thighs for dinner. Still early here.
Thighs (seriously if possible, on the bone, skin on) are good with your favorite spicy dry rub, and with or without barbecue sauce (I'm just dry rub mostly)

I am looking for a different way to make my chicken thighs for dinner. Still early here.

This recipe is really really good and so easy

Back