What's the dumbest thing you've ever spent money on?

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
I probably have something dumber than this, but the first thing that popped into my head was a box and a half of Magic: The Gathering cards in the mid-90s. I was convinced I could make a killing by buying in bulk and selling a complete set or something. I think it ended up being 4 cards short of complete.

Anyway, never bothered selling any. Still have them in a box somewhere, might be worth something, but I shouldn't have spent that money at the time.

A smart watch for my S5, I bought it and barely use it now. When it comes time for riding my bike to exercise, I will use it more then.

Actually the last house I owned was probably the dumbest thing I ever spent money (so much money) on.

And when I bought a motor boat. Just a hole in the water to pour money into.

I actually purchased years ago some plans from one of those "run your car on water" outfits. Fortunately I stopped short of actually destroying my vehicle based on said plans.

Sent by the voices inside my head

Glasses from the optician affiliated with my opthalmologist. I NEVER EVER don't price shop for $$ items, but I derped out for some reason and just filled my scrips there. I still kick myself years later for pissing money away. Lenses I had from an independent office I had for 10+ years with no scratching. These were scratched within 2 years. So they were too expensive AND crappy.

I probably have something dumber than this, but the first thing that popped into my head was a box and a half of Magic: The Gathering cards in the mid-90s. I was convinced I could make a killing by buying in bulk and selling a complete set or something. I think it ended up being 4 cards short of complete.

Anyway, never bothered selling any. Still have them in a box somewhere, might be worth something, but I shouldn't have spent that money at the time.

Let me tell you right now that if you have some Alpha/Beta Mox's (any of the five) or the Black Lotus, you will be cashing in right now.

There are other cards that are extremely valuable which came out in the mid to late 90's, especially from Ice Age, Antiquities, or Arabian Nights.

Seriously, you need to find those cards. Some can be worth $100's or $1000's of dollar depending on condition. For a quick check, look at eBay, or make an account at deckbox.org.

I used to play MTG a lot when I was in high school, and recently started playing here and there last year.

Let me tell you right now that if you have some Alpha/Beta Mox's (any of the five) or the Black Lotus, you will be cashing in right now.

There are other cards that are extremely valuable which came out in the mid to late 90's, especially from Ice Age, Antiquities, or Arabian Nights.

Seriously, you need to find those cards. Some can be worth $100's or $1000's of dollar depending on condition.

I used to play MTG a lot when I was in high school, and recently started playing here and there last year.

We did a big organized yard sale a few years ago. O.Z.O. Jr. had been really into Yugi-O when he was in elementary school but wasn't anymore. He made over $500 selling cards individually that day.

Seriously, you need to find those cards. Some can be worth $100's or $1000's of dollar depending on condition. For a quick check, look at eBay, or make an account at deckbox.org.

Nah, they were from the "Dark" set, which I think was the first set they greatly increased production numbers.

Though I also have a couple boxes of cards that my wife's coworker gave her back then that we never really went through. They were probably a few years later though.

We did a big organized yard sale a few years ago. O.Z.O. Jr. had been really into Yugi-O when he was in elementary school but wasn't anymore. He made over $500 selling cards individually that day.

How many of them did you sell? Were there any cards which were worth quite a lot?

I never played Yugi-O, but have only heard of it.

Nah, they were from the "Dark" set, which I think was the first set they greatly increased production numbers.

Though I also have a couple boxes of cards that my wife's coworker gave her back then that we never really went through. They were probably a few years later though.

Not like I expect you to answer now, but did that set have a crescent moon on the right side near the middle? Was it another icon?

Just saying, maybe you should go through them again. See if you have one called Blood Moon (nonbasic lands are mountains). That card should be worth around $30. Look through the one's your wife has as well. You never know.

See if you have a card from Alliances (flag icon) called "Force of Will". That right there is almost a $100 card. That set came out in 1997. It was also a common card.

I can kick my own ass for getting rid of a lot of my old MTG cards. I knew I had a few of those.

My first wife's wedding ring.

I've also made this regrettable purchase.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

I spent a $100 on a 1992 Phil Plantier rookie sensations card. It was the hottest thing on the planet at the time. Now it's probably worth .25 cents

Not like I expect you to answer now, but did that set have a crescent moon on the right side near the middle? Was it another icon?

Just saying, maybe you should go through them again. See if you have one called Blood Moon (nonbasic lands are mountains). That card should be worth around $30. Look through the one's your wife has as well. You never know.

See if you have a card from Alliances (flag icon) called "Force of Will". That right there is almost a $100 card. That set came out in 1997. It was also a common card.

I can kick my own ass for getting rid of a lot of my old MTG cards. I knew I had a few of those.

Found the binder and attached is a phone pic of Blood Moon, black border.

As I was quickly looking, I did see some with the flag too.

Found the binder and attached is a phone pic of Blood Moon, black border.

As I was quickly looking, I did see some with the flag too.

That is awesome!! Put that thing on eBay and buy yourself and wife a dinner!

The Alliances card "Force of Will", should have a blue border.

3107.jpg

That is awesome!! Put that thing on eBay and buy yourself and wife a dinner!

The Alliances card "Force of Will", should have a blue border.

3107.jpg

Yup, didn't take a pic, but got it with the black border like that and that flag. In a binder, never played.

Yup, didn't take a pic, but got it with the black border like that and that flag. In a binder, never played.

This link here shows completed eBay listings for the Force of Will. Looks to be around $75. You might have multiple copies since it was common.
http://tinyurl.com/jbpyflp

See how sweet that is? Maybe it wasn't the dumbest thing you spent your money on? :)

Back