When/Why did you become a Patriots fan

I was born on Long Island and began life as a Jets fan. (I know, let's never speak of it again)

Moved to Sharon, Mass (about 3 miles from then Shaeffer Stadium) and slowly began to come over to the Pats side.

I guess it was the '85 season when I could truly start calling myself a Pats fan. Since then I've lived in Bills Country, Giants /Jets country, and LA Football country (oh wait...LA doesn't have a football team because they are too dumb to actually support any sport that isn't celebrity-friendly)

I cannot stress enough how amazing New Englanders are about supporting their sports teams. When you walk around a mall in NE, almost everyone is wearing some type of clothing or accessory related to a NE sports team. You just don't get that anywhere else.

Fitty_Six said:
I was born on Long Island and began life as a Jets fan. (I know, let's never speak of it again)

Moved to Sharon, Mass (about 3 miles from then Shaeffer Stadium) and slowly began to come over to the Pats side.

I guess it was the '85 season when I could truly start calling myself a Pats fan. Since then I've lived in Bills Country, Giants /Jets country, and LA Football country (oh wait...LA doesn't have a football team because they are too dumb to actually support any sport that isn't celebrity-friendly)

I cannot stress enough how amazing New Englanders are about supporting their sports teams. When you walk around a mall in NE, almost everyone is wearing some type of clothing or accessory related to a NE sports team. You just don't get that anywhere else.

I was born A pats Fan and Have lived and died with this team for as long as I can remember....I Was Born & Bred in Sharon Ma...so from the time I was able to hitchhike to Schaffer Stadium..I was going to games...I used to mow lawns and shovel driveways...to save enough cash to get a ticket to the game...it was 8 bucks back then lol.now it's $89 a game..I became a season ticket holder in 1980 when it cost $110 bucks a ticket for season tix!! and have been to every home game since that time...I'm on a streak of 275 consecutive home games..knock wood!! I became a mosi's moose in 81 and have been sitting in the north endzone for 25 years now..... and have stuck with them through thick and thin. Ya..I'm a homie and waited a long time for us to be world champs and am proud as hell with my team.... and when trolls bust my chops about our championships...all I do is put up my pinky, ring, and middle fingers and say...3 time world champs baby... my sign that I bring to the game opening night against "The Chokeland Faiders" will be a pic of the 3 SB trophies with a caption above then that reads" Tuck These,Baby!" Never tell me I'm "Lucky" to have season tickest cuz that's bull...I paid my dues and supported this team when times were pretty bad for our team...I would wear my Pats garb and would be heckled by peeps in new england about wearin it.....I was at the stadium with 9000 other peeps at times and have taken halftime naps streched out on those horrible metal seats at the old stadium and always brought my own beer...i had nothing to do with the goal posts coming down after the cinnci game in 85, unless you got me on video that is...ya I'm an "Angey Pats Troll" but so what..it doesn't make me a bad person lol Keep the faith everyone!! Peace!!!!:thumb:

I grew up watching football every sunday from the time I was five years old. The first game I clearly remember watching in it's entirety was Super Bowl X when Pittsburgh beat Dallas when Super Bowls were still played in the early afternoon. I remember the great Patriot players of the talented 76-78 teams like WR's Darryl Stingley and Stanley Morgan Off. Lineman like John Hannah, Leon Grey and Dr. Bill Lenkitas, A Backfield that had a good mix of Andy Johnson, Sam Bam Cunnigham, Don Calhoun and later Chuck Foreman they still have the record for most team rushing yards in a season. And of course QB Steve Grogan was my favorite player growing up. A 5th round pick from Kansas St. went on to play 15 years with the Patriots. My first trip to see the Patriots play was against the San Diego Chargers in 1978. John Smith kicked a late FG to win it 27-24.

For my first post to this message board, what a great topic to reply to.

The first game I ever watched, was the final game of the 2001-02 season. There was so much hype about it on the local news about the Patriots possibly getting a chance to win the Superbowl, I just had to watch. I didn't even watch the whole game...the last 10 minutes of it I think..and they won! Can't beat that. I never really got involved in the sport over the next few years, I'd watch a few minutes of the odd game here and there.

Fast forward to 2005.

I meet my friend Janssen, who is like the number one Patriots fan in New Brunswick. Let's just say there was lots of talk about football, and half the time I was like "huh?" or "what does that mean". Finally last month I went to About.com (how cheesy is that?!) and learned the ins and outs of the game. Now that I actually know how it works to a certain extent, followed by not missing a game so far this season, I'm officially declaring my loylality to the Pats. Who else could I root for!:patriots:

I am new here so decided to start here with my first post.
I have been a Pats fan since 1996 when I attended my first REAL football game at Foxboro with some friends; I got hooked right away. So much fun...tailgating; shopping at the Pro Shop and yelling a " Bruuuu-schi" for my favorite guy Tedy.
The rest is history; my husband and I have spent many days at the stadium with friends and my daughters; it is so much fun; there is nothing like it.
I am jealous b/c my friends are going to Atlanta this weekend:(
& I am not!

Wow, some of your guys' stories are tear inducing.

As you all know, I became a fan this year because my buddy, Logan was drafted by you guys in the first round. After many hours of researching the Pats on the internet and espn-type shows, I am hooked. Not just because of LoLo, but because of what this team is. Even if there weren't and Lombardi's, I would still love this team (I would call it border line obsessed. I know, join the club, right?)
I have always loved sports. I was the only girl in Little Leauge as a child and one of the rarities that was able to make varsity sports as a freshman. Up untill now, I was a die hard baseball fan. But after watching and feeling all of the excitment of this season and what these boys can do, including coaches, I am even more a fanatic of football than baseball.
Did I mention I was the QB on my powder puff team? Doesn't that impress the socks off of you all?

I don't even have cable. I sit my ass in front of my computer in my hard chair for 3 hours on Sundays to keep up on the game. No pain, no gain!

Jheavner said:
I don't even have cable. I sit my ass in front of my computer in my hard chair for 3 hours on Sundays to keep up on the game. No pain, no gain!
it is all good but if I might, could I suggest trying a pillow on the hard chair. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to soften you up, your fine a great addition, just looking to ease your comfort level.

carry on

Well first off I am not a Pats fan sorry. Been a colts fan since the harbaugh/troudau(sp?) era. Some of you may remember both the pats and the colts stinking up the AFC east. I think a few years the only wins either team got were against each other.

But the past is the past and it seems both teams have come along way since then.

While I will never be a pats fan I will tell you the day I not only stopped hating them but the day I realized I respected the patriots.

As many of you know the Colts are in the middle of an undefeated season (OMG they are??? Where is the media in all this???) Anyway, it seems that after every win there is some new accusation of cheating, dirty play, ect. All of it false, just sour grapes.

After about week 11 or so I realized that one of the few teams that was able to stand up after a loss and say "We got beat," was the NE patriots. No whining, no crying, no outrageous accusations of cheating. Just, "we got beat, good game."

I'll try to get to my point if anyone is still reading.

I finally understand what the patriots fans went through the past 4 (well 3...we will just forget 2002 :) ) years, when their team was on top of the NFL. People seem to be more intent on belittling another teams achievements than looking at the shortcomings of their own.

How many times did you hear "OMG the NFL is throwing games for the patriots." Or "OMG the patriots are cheating!!!" During those superbowl runs?

I firmly believe you tell more about a persons charachter when things are NOT going well. Its easy to be a fan/player when things are all smiles and rings.

It's alot harder to show that same level of professionalism when things are not so good.

And that is why I respect the patriots. I don't like you, but I respect you which is all you can ask from another teams fan.

Anyway good luck the rest of the year. And if you don't mind doing me a small favor???

Whoop the [edit] out of the Jaguars. :thumb:

Hey Jaric!! Nice post. Welcome to the planet.

Although I spend more time on that "other" board <wink>I check in here now and then for a brewski ;-)

Fellow Pats fans....This Colts fan has a lot of class. And god I hate that word class which is so overused in Indy but once in awhile it fits :)

He's the only colt fan, who having refereed soccer, understood and stuck up for us on the colts board that hell yes if the refs let you do it you do it .(with regards to the cheating accusations in the first afcc game)

<S>

-JJ

Hah, thanks JJ. I can easily say the same for you.

Yeah I kinda cringe the way the word "class" gets thrown around on our board but I do know why.

It's something our head coach, tony dungy, really believes in.

Now you don't have to think he is a good coach, but I think that you do have to think he is a good human being. Just my opinion.

BTW you guys got a nice board here.

my dad has always liked the patriots so we grew up watching them every game on tv...... they were the under dogs ....... they couldnt win if they paid the refs ........ but we still loved them ....... a cheered as a faithful fan

I became a Patriots fan when I was 8 years old. I will be turning 30 this month. It was 1985 Super Bowl when I started to cheer for them because we were playing the Bears and I hated the Bears being from Minnesota. It was a bad super bowl but stuck with them. Ever since around then, my cousin and I would have a favorite in both conferences... Pats and Vikes, in MLB Twins and Astros...

BradyGirl said:
Yeah, when that idiot Dreith threw that flag I couldn't believe it. I had this outraged feeling of "We wuz robbed!" That's why when Oakland fans boohoo over the Tuck Rule, I say karmic payback, baby. :D

This was the 1st season i can remember being a loyal Patriots fan. Although i would still murder Ben Dreith if i ever got my hands on him, the savory sweet tuck revenge call and subsequent 3 Patriots Superbowl Championships have eased my pain.
30 years plus Patriots fan here:thumb: :patriots:
From Rust to McPherson to Parcells then King BB THIS Patriots fan aint no bandwagoner!

At the start of the season im only 15 but i have already got myself a vast knowlege of the NFL:thumb:

I've always been a Boston sports fan. Very difficult growing up in Southern CT (too many Yankee/Met/Giant/Jet fans.) My earliest Patriot memories are watching Pats/Jets games on Sunday afternoons. I was a big Grogan fan. Couldn't stand Tony Eason. Stanley Morgan was the man. He should be a HOF'er. Better numbers than Lynn Swann (minus those damn rings) The Pats always seemed to take a backseat to the Celts and Sox for me. Even in 1985, I didn't think they had a chance. I was in college and we all whooped it up after the first turnover when Tony Franklin converted the quickest score in SB history (at that point - may have been broken since.) Very long evening after that - as you all know.

Fast forward to modern day. I've got three kids now and my daughter is as big a Pats fan as I am. LOVES that Brady guy. We hang our Patriot flag outside every Sunday. I'm hoping to get her up to a game soon. She's spoiled. She can't understand why they don't win it every year.

welcome patsfan64...I am from southern CT also; I have two daughters and one is a HUGE Pats fan; we also fly our PATS flag proudly every Sunday. gotta get your daughter to a game; there is nothing like hanging out at Gillette!!!

I joined the Pats fans ranks in '85 when Football took off in Britain big time.
I followed the Pats because of their fantastic uniforms (I wish they'd bring Pat Patriot back ) & also because they had the word "England" in their title...! :pat:

I used to write regularly to Coach Mac (Dick Macpherson) & always got a reply- this all helped me stay in love with the team throughout their bad years (of which there were sadly many..!)- Glad times have changed & the balance is being restored...!!!!

It took me 20 years but I finally acheived a boy-hood dream & flew over the "pond" to watch the Saints game last season- one of the many highlights was getting to wear a SB36 championship ring...!!!

This year I'm coming over again for the Bears game in November & I can't wait...!!! :thumb:

Cool, it's it's nice to have a few more Brits among the ranks of these yanks:thumb:(Sorry it rymed:D)

Back