When/Why did you become a Patriots fan

I became a fan when the Patriots hired Parcells and drafted Bledsoe. My dad was a Parcells fan and he told me that the Patriots would start to get better over time. He was right.

Since then, I've just followed the team and organization as a whole and cannot believe the heights they have reached since the days Kraft first took over the team.

who knows?
but i do remember when Plunkett was the best thing that ever happened to our Pats ------ by being traded!!!

but that was when? :confused: ah back in the the over-drinking days nowo:)

And we had the days of Grogan

And remember when pulling and trading Bledsoe was a crazy move?
:pat: and now:patriots!
Enjoy it

I posted this on another thread, but it seems it belongs here. So there.

My dad was an avid Cowboys fan, so when I first was introduced to the sport, I was supposed to be a Cowboys fan. But I never really cared for them even when they were winning championships.

In 1992, I remember he bought me this sports preview magazine guide thingy. That had the preview of the upcoming season and it had info about all the teams. For some reason the logo caught my attention, but I didn't put much to it.

The season ended and that was that. In 1993, my dad bought me another of those guides, and I saw the Patriots had changed their logo. I fell in love with the logo; I thought it was so innovative. But since I was here in Texas and they were awful, I never got to see them play much. I would watch them on the sports reviews and highlights, and would keep an eye out for them.

Then I noticed they had this really tall, and strong armed QB named Drew Bledsoe. Even though he seemed erratic and really prone committing turnovers, I loved how he flicked the ball so effortlessly. Then the year after; the actually broad casted the game against the Vikings where he went apeshit on them and broke passing records. I had found my team.

I have fond memories of how it was to root for the underdog team while I'd get made fun of because to people it was impossible to understand how a kid from Texas liked the Patriots. But the team eventually got better, and now they seem to say the opposite.

I still remember when Bledsoe lead the Pats to the Super Bowl, I was so excited I couldn't sleep. Then the Pack just ran all over us. I was distraught. I actually hated Favre for a while.

Then when I also remember when Bledsoe led the Pats to back to back last play wins. And how the Bills actually refused to go out for the extra point. That was so awesome.

Of course, then the 2000 season where all looked lost, and there was the rise of this lanky kid from Michigan named Tom Brady. It's much easier to root for the Patriots now, but I won't forger the older times, even though there weren't as many as now, there are a few gems to remember. And that's why I follow this team so religiously.

i liked the 49er's for awhile, i've been a patriots fan because of the rings baby! but now since the giants have 3, i dunno, they're the hottest team right now! *hint hint*:4321:

underpressure on 02-08-2008 at 02:41 PM said:
i liked the 49er's for awhile, i've been a patriots fan because of the rings baby! but now since the giants have 3, i dunno, they're the hottest team right now! *hint hint*:4321:

Another one for the kiddie table..................

I became a pats fan when i became in 1989 when i moved up here to Rhode Island.

Just a hunch, but would you also happened to have been a Steelers and Cowboys fan, too? :p

I grew up watching the San Francisco 49ers in a family of Raider fans, and when Steve Young was playing, he was (and remains) my favorite player. After his retirement, I went in search of a new team and kept an eye on the Patriots because Tom Brady was from my favorite school of Michigan.

When the playoffs for that season started, I chose the Pats over the Raiders in the Tuck Rule game and began to follow the Pats from there. I chose the Pats in SB 36 and was not disappointed. Brady's heroics struck a chord with me and I began to follow the Pats more closely. In 2003, I stuck with them full time and have been on board ever since.

From the timeI could understand football I was a Washington Redskins fan. Then Christmas 1992 my mom purchased season tickets fro the Chiefs because the Redskins were comung into town. About two or three weeks later the Patriots came to Arrowhead. Our tickets were upper level Chiefs side. It rained the whole game, the Chiefs won that day but I became a true blue Pats fan that day. I'm still a Redskins fan, but they take a back seat to the Pats every time. GO PATS!!!!!!. It's time to add another trophy and ring.

I was 17 and was grounded for doing something stupid. My Mom use to make Sunday dinner for us. My Dad and two older brothers would always come home on Sunday to watch the games. I was forced to stay home, eat a home cooked meal and watch the pats. I watched Steve Grogan play and watched him and his razzle dazzle and thought that was a blast to watch. The rest is history.

I was 17 and was grounded for doing something stupid. My Mom use to make Sunday dinner for us. My Dad and two older brothers would always come home on Sunday to watch the games. I was forced to stay home, eat a home cooked meal and watch the pats. I watched Steve Grogan play and watched him and his razzle dazzle and thought that was a blast to watch. The rest is history.

wow that there is some severe punishing ROFL homecooked meal and football? i think i'll go be bad:p

Well, my story goes like this: it was tied to 9/11. I am originally from the NJ/NY area and I was sitting in my apt here in Lexington, KY and I saw everything that happened during the 9/11 tragedy and all and about a month after 9/11, Belmont Park hosted the Breeder's Cup. Well, in the big race, the Breeder's Cup Classic, an American horse named Tiznow narrowly beat this other horse who had Arab connections by a nose to win. I can still remember the call, "Tiznow wins it for America!" Anyway, a few months later, I was reading or I heard it on the news that during the regular season or during the playoffs, Coach Bellichick used Tiznow's victory in the Breeder's Cup as a coaching tool. I thought that was pretty cool being a horse racing fan. My interest was piqued by the "Tuck Rule" Game and of course I was very impressed with the team coming on to that Super Bowl Field as a TEAM. Then after they won, Bob Kraft announced how "We are all Patriots." Here was this underdog team pulling off this huge upset right after 9/11 , a team named the Patriots with an all American kid named Tom Brady. I just thought they were such a cool team and , yep, jumped on the so called bandwagon and have never jumped off and have been a die hard fan ever since.

I've been a Pats fan for about 7 years, having watched a few games I didn't realy get into NFL till sitting down and watchin a full game and taking time to understand what was actually going on with all the stops and starts. As I'm from the UK watching Rugby was the norm but after getting to grips with the rules I hav e become an avid fan, unfortunately most games featuring the Patriots are shown starting after midnight so it takes a degree of determination and dedication to stay up and watch..followed by some long lie ins! There is always the re-runs but these are mostly hilights and you dont get a feel for the game as the results always slip out prior to screening.

As to why the Patriots, is there one other team in the NFL with the same ethos.."No I in Team", not just a few Prima Donnas and Superstars but a Team, you cant fault the work ethic or dedication of the team and a quick slice of humble pie after every game keeps the likes of Brady and Moss and the Defensive line honest, a nice change after watching some other so called sportsman and the way they behave.

I've even managed to get my wife and son supporting the Pats, however my wife gets a bit nervous when things get a bit close and the Pats appear to be giving things up...but you gotta have faith!

I must admit I started following the Pats out of spite of my friends. We were all watching a game one day and I have 2 friends who are Chargers fans and to spite them i was cheering for the opposition team, which was the Patriots. Afterwards i went online and did some online research. for some reason we always get Pats games on TV over here so its was good. And the more i watched the more i got hooked. that was probably 3 years ago. so im terms of being a fan im still a beginner. But i love it all the same.

Back