When/Why did you become a Patriots fan

I was a casual fan when I started paying attention during Parcells' years but didn't really appreciate what was going on. I remember being crushed losing to the Bears in 85, I remember being happy when they won in 86, but I didn't really cherish or appreciate it.

I don't remember exactly when I became a Patriots fan. I know it was around the time they went 1-15. It was the throwback uniforms that first got me hooked. I've always been interested in the American Revolution and this team represented that period.
As a youth, I had either a Patriots hat or a t-shirt. As the years gone by everyone knows that I am a dedicated fan.

NE Patriots...gotta love 'em...

I became a NE Patriots fan in spite of myself. I followed soccer for most of my high school years, but on Sundays, watching NE games (or listening to them on the radio if they were blacked out) was a real family event. My Mom would make dinner early so she wouldn't miss a snap, and we would all be sitting in the livingroom, watching our beloved Patriots while they broke our hearts. They may not have had many wins in those days, but they had grit, and I was hooked. A fan since 1972, I am enjoying the Robert Kraft / Bill Belichick / Tom Brady years very much, and in spite of that loss to Indy in 2006, Tyree's lucky circus catch and spygate...these NE Patriots are a joy to follow. GO PATRIOTS!!!

B e l i c h e a t

Not really a Pats fan, but think their a GREAT team.

Great collection of posts in this thread though

Became a Pats fan in the 6th grade(12 years old)in 1977.

I took out a Book from the school library on Jim Plunkett, and fell in love with the logo and colors, perhaps also being inspired by Jim`s story, but I honestly can`t remember that part of it.Was a few years ago you know:)

The colors and name/theme "Patriots" were very close to our local Hockey Team "Rochester Americans".

Allot of my Favorite sports Teams were picked around that same time, Patriots, KC Royals, the Buffalo Sabres a few years earlier as Hockey was my first love, but now the 2 sports are pretty much even.

I have recently ditched the Sabres(wernt really trying to win for a very long time, just trying to make money) as my Favorite and now root for the Blackhawks with the Sabres being second favorite.

So glad I stuck with the Patriots, they have rewarded my loyalty in spades!!

Visited my uncle often who was an NFC guy, but then loved Unitas and Broadway Joe as he called him.

Season ticket holder since 1981. Used to walk to any seats of interest in the stadium and wasted time with the fill ins. Had hoped to at least see Flutie play alot. Hated the decision by Berry to start Tony Eason who had NO respect in the locker room or anywhere else. Loves so many of the special playoff games
in the fog bowl, curtis breaking loose, Manning getting intercepted repeatedly and the SB wins. Lost the first to the Giants due to the strangle on Richard Seymour never called or Manning would have been on his butt versus getting of the pass. Great day with the snowblow good for a few extra hours of suds,
Adam making the kick of a lifetime. And the change from being on the losing end every weekend while those at home had the blackouts. Tuna and Drew was a great turn around. Sad to see Russ Francis and Leon Grey go, and never so sad as watch Daryl Stingley get a cheap hit to cripple him for life.

But few in football have had as much enjoyment as us Pats fans. Bob Kraft is the man.

I'm a relatively recent convert.

I ended up getting into football and the Pats specifically after playing a demo for Madden 06 of all things.

At the time, I didn't know that the Patriots were that successful. I eventually read into the Patriots and although recent success was a plus, knowing that the franchise emphasised being team above all was the major reason that I started following the Pats.

I only really got in to Gridiron last season, I'd have probably got into it sooner if I had been successful in getting a ticket for when the Pats played at Wembley in 09, but alas I didn't.

I'm a relatively recent convert.

I ended up getting into football and the Pats specifically after playing a demo for Madden 06 of all things.

At the time, I didn't know that the Patriots were that successful. I eventually read into the Patriots and although recent success was a plus, knowing that the franchise emphasised being team above all was the major reason that I started following the Pats.

I only really got in to Gridiron last season, I'd have probably got into it sooner if I had been successful in getting a ticket for when the Pats played at Wembley in 09, but alas I didn't.

Hey Ryan...where have you been?

When I was on a trip from NNSY to the Navel shipyard PNSY some time in 1980's, and still like them.
B

My Dad always watched/listened to football, so a fan by default as back then I enjoyed hockey the most. But always continued to follow the Pats and was rewarded when Mr. Kraft bought the team.

Gina

back when

in the early 60s used to visit my uncle and he would have the NFL games on every Sunday and then my other Uncle would have Thanksgiving Day games on. LOVED watching the games. Been a season Ticket holder since 1981. New many of the Patriot players from Maurice Hurst, Ty Law who invited me to his home as a rookie, Dave Meggett, Steve Nelson i used to see a few times a week. Ben Coates around 60 plus times, Drew Bledsoe several times a week, Scott Z, Max Lane, Todd Rucci with that crew. Willie McGinest, Chris Slade, Terry Glenn i would see numerous times while shopping before the Stadium entrance at the market and always kind enough for a chat if he had time. Bruce Armstrong (love eating his and Drews buffalo wings if Drew chatted too long). John Hannah pre game chats after retirement, Andre Tippett around Norwood (great guy). Irvin Fryer I used to see out at dance clubs as a rookie and chat including his first weekend after signing. I also knew and met with Johnny Unitas and talked to him. Big hand shake and such big mechanic hands.

I remember the days when I could walk anywhere in the stadium and have a seat and games to the players strike with the fill ins , reDoug Flutie and fans near me with bags over heads that Pats were so bad. Mini mac, Daryl Stingley, Mosi(so sad about passing for such a patriot guy). First row seats used to be 8 Dollars!

At first I was a Seahawks fan because Martian Lynch and Russel Winston are respectable players who are good for community. Then they win Super Bowl and I'm a fan since 1992. But then this year they lose to the Patriots and then am like you know what I like America more than Seedle so now am fan of Patriots instead

I'm a pretty "new" fan.
I live in Sweden and football isn't really that big over here but years ago I went to San Diego and ended up watching a game at the Qualcomm Stadium. Loved it even if I didn't understand all of it. But that was years ago and now a network here have started airing NFL so now I can watch the games live even if it is in the middle of night here.
So why Patriots and not San Diego wich was my first "Real" game? Well it's a pleasure watching Patriots play and with the greatest QB's of all time why not. Also, the Chargers seasons tends to be.....short. Also I have a friend that is a Broncos fan and it's great to annoy him.:thwak:
I hope and think I will be able to go to a game live soon.

I suppose it started when I was six years old and I was Drew Bledsoe for Halloween. Growing up in Michigan I latched onto the Patriots when I couldn't get into the Lions. Then my favorite college QB ever got drafted by them and the rest is history.

I started seriously and intensely following NFL football back in 1993.

And since I've lived my whole life in New England, I started following Patriots games.

I remember the first game I watched on TV that year. It was on week one of the '93 NFL season. It was Drew Bledsoe's first game as a Patriot and as an NFL quarterback. They got blown out by the Bills.

I was born in 1990...

I legitimately remember watching the Patriots in 1996..the entire season. Vincent Brisby was my favorite player as I wore his number on my peewee team. haha. But yeah man at 6 years old I became a die hard fan. Started collecting football cards..learned every player on the team. Wasnt long, maybe by 11, I knew the entire league..and its been that way ever since. Which is probably why being 32 now..I decided to cover the Patriots on YouTube. It only makes sense at this point.

I remember collecting bottle caps from Coke bottles that had pictures of Boston Patriots players. You could get a large sheet of paper with spots where everyone would go, and if you filled up the entire sheet with everyone on the team, you'd win an official NFL football. This was the mid 1960s. I was probably 10 or 12 years old at the time.

You could only get tonic (as we called it) in returnable glass bottles at that time, and littering was endemic, so there were bottle caps everywhere.

Of course, no one ever got all the bottle caps they needed. But that's how I became familiar with players like Earthquake Hunt and Bob Dee and Ron Burton and Jim Colclough.

Back