• Starbucks

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Cumberland Farms or other convenience store

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • McDonalds (or BK I guess)

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Gourmet Donuts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like Thomas, I ONLY use a French Press for my coffee you heathen!

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
The poll options in this might be a little skewed to New England, but if you regularly buy coffee to go, where do you typically buy from?

Poll forthcoming.

Cumbies and DD.

Usually XL hot first at DD.

Later a large iced at Cumbies. My wallet likes it. My taste buds hate it.

Dunkin, and sometimes I'll get a cup at Krispy Kreme. I hate Starbucks.

When I lived in Mass I got Cumbys Coffee a lot. At the time it was only 99 cents...
We have Kangaroo down here and their coffee sucks...

Back home, it would have been D+D or Cumbies, but down here it is either the cafe' on the campus or the local grocery store.

My normal Monday - Friday is a large black at DD here in Chicago, weekends I'll go to a neighborhood place if I get anything at all.

SSDD

Yeah I do DD as my choice when out, but about 6 months ago, I bought my first french press. There is no better way to make coffee at home, and it is better than anything you can buy out IMO.

Yeah I do DD as my choice when out, but about 6 months ago, I bought my first french press. There is no better way to make coffee at home, and it is better than anything you can buy out IMO.

love love press pot coffee, the trick is you control all the variables, the coffee, the grind, the water temp, and time. once you get it figured out you can consistently make a cup the way you like.

love love press pot coffee, the trick is you control all the variables, the coffee, the grind, the water temp, and time. once you get it figured out you can consistently make a cup the way you like.

That's kind of what made me hesitant.

Thought there might be a learning curve that caused me to give up on the venture and then be out the investment cost of the press.

Could you detail your methods, and how you like your coffee?

rarely get it on the outside, but down here we have Royal Farms (think Cumberland Farms). Good stuff, under $2 for a normal sized (24 oz.) cup.

That's kind of what made me hesitant.

Thought there might be a learning curve that caused me to give up on the venture and then be out the investment cost of the press.

Could you detail your methods, and how you like your coffee?

Tim Horton's is awful, despite what my brethren believe. Also was shocked at DD being well below what I expected when I visited US.

McDonald's in Canada is probably the best 'fast food' coffee.

I make my coffee at home though using a French Press and a travel mug. Much cheaper, much better.

Making coffee in Press is SO easy and doesn't take much work. Most important lesson is not to burn the beans (people who complain about really bitter coffee in a Press have burnt their beans). Simplest way is to boil a pot of water (just a bit more than required for desired cup of coffee). Once it's boiling, remove it from the burner for 30-60 seconds to let it cool down a bit. Then just pour it into the press over the beans and follow the instructions. About the only other 'lesson' is how much coffee you need to use. I find 1-1.5 teaspoons is good for a small cup and 1-1.5 tablespoons for a travel mug. I like my coffee strong and black.

I've used larger coarse grains and smaller fine ones with no issues. Bought my Press on Amazon and also buy my pre-ground coffee there.

Coffee costs me about $15 every 2-3 months now.

French press at home, with either Sumatra Mandheling or Colombian beans that I grind myself. For real coffee connoisseurs, I strongly recommend Monmouth Coffee shop in London. If you like cheap, milky coffee with loads of sugar, don't bother going.

I'm not a fan of Starbucks. I find their drip (filter) coffee sits too long and tastes burned. Out of the places I've tried in the US, Grumpy Coffee in NYC was my fave. Petite Shell on Lex, around 84th, was rather good as well. Recommendations for future trips to Boston are welcome.

Strictly home brew for me. Setup the coffeemaker the night before, it's ready when I wake up. I figure it might add up to 25 cents per pot. Also, coffee is free at work.

I've never understood the idea of waiting in line to pay $3-$5 for a cup of coffee. I figure I save about $1000/year.

But I guess someone has to support the economy.

I'll drink any kind of coffee, anywhere. If I had my druthers, I'd be brewing up Jamaican Blue Mountain or High Mountain, but the price has gotten out of control, and I drink too much coffee to spend upwards of $40 a lb. As a treat, though, I'll buy it a couple of times a year.

I have nothing against Starbucks, but they are generic (and expensive for what they serve). I'll go there as a last resort.

I get my coffee from a local roaster and grind/brew my own at home (no french press yet, but soon...). When I'm out and about, I almost always hit the local coffee shops no matter where I'm at.

Back