• Starbucks

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Cumberland Farms or other convenience store

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • McDonalds (or BK I guess)

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Gourmet Donuts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like Thomas, I ONLY use a French Press for my coffee you heathen!

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
So you are telling us to act like an ass because the clerk at Petco isn't a vet?

Not really any different than most retail experiences.

If you're in the know and have researched almost any topic well, your knowledge will almost always exceed that of a retail employee. As a PC enthusiast, I would never, ever go to Best Buy and expect some random employee would be able to provide proper advice regarding a PC/laptop purchase. Having worked retail, I know most are given just basic training to explain the products and provide a general idea of 'what's better than what'.

I'm guessing it's no different at Petco. Those guys probably have a general idea of which foods to stay away from and perhaps a few that are 'good', but whatever they push is likely based on marketing and information provided by the company (no guarantee that is accurate information). If you're uninformed and don't really care then you'll likely have better results than just guessing (same with my Best Buy example), but any semi-intelligent human could spend 30 minutes researching a buying decision and better understand their choice compared to taking advice from a retail employee.

I give my dog prime rib peas and corn for dinner. Breakfast she gets eggs and bacon. Lunch is lamb and rice.

Ran the whole hi end trials with pet food. Disastrous. Chronic looseness.

On advice from chev put him on Purina One beef and rice small kibble. Haven't had a deviant deuce in 18 months. Regular like a Swiss watch.

But do as you see fit.

Did you check the site? Not meant to sound accusatory, just a question.

They don't pass judgement from some weird criteria to rate them and approve or disapprove of different foods (ie. push one brand over another). Each food page is basically a breakdown of all ingredients, with explanations of what they are and what benefits (if any) they provide for the dog. Then there is also an analysis of the composition (ie. percentage of fat vs crude protein vs carbs). Scores are simply a calculation of the quality of ingredients, which may not be useful by itself but can be used to compare foods.

The site doesn't test dog food but instead presents and explains the information each manufacturer lists on its bags/website. Essentially, it's meant to be a tool to better understand whats in the food and can be used to identify foods that have higher than normal 'filler' ingredients or abnormally low protein content, etc.

I stand by my recommendation. It's a very useful site, especially if you've identified a handful of brands to use and want a more detailed explanation of the makeup of each food.

As the site says though,

That's my point. Exactly. The ingredients list means BEFORE COOKING. What about after it's cooked? That's where food trials come in to prove the true nutrition after cooking, pressurizing and pelletizing. Digestibility is another factor to consider and food trials prove that too. Also fiber is as good for your pets as it is for you.

I'm not trying to be a smartass. Rather, I am trying to educate folks.
I think the site is worthless, btw.

Did you look at the Tufts vet school nutrition site? Everything I said is in there and a lot more. For instance, they don't say Taste of the Wild has no nutritionist but that was said in a conference on nutrition recently that I attended. They also talked about what a poor choice BLUE is...Rolls Royce prices for food that is unproven...formulated to meet AAFCO requirements. BLUE is a food built on marketing hype plain and simple. 1/3 of their budget goes to advertising. :facepalm:

There are plenty of good grocery store foods that food trial their foods. Purina trials all their foods and many others do too. Wellness does if you want expensive food (but it's not necessary).

So you are telling us to act like an ass because the clerk at Petco isn't a vet?

Where did that come from? I don't think that's what I said. More like "be a smart consumer".

There are a few good local coffee places in newport. Empire coffee & ocean breeze they cost more then Starbucks .

I don't go out for coffee - I go to my kitchen, and yes, horror of horrors, I have a Keurig - we got one some years ago and was a good idea since Paul loved strong coffee (hated Starbucks, but did like DD occasionally) and I like flavored coffee.
When I am working (going back again next month) we have a Keurig and a Nespresso (I think I have this right) - bring your own - in the kitchen. They do like to treat us every now and then and usually it is DD, occasionally it is Starbucks depending on who goes out to get it. I prefer the DD, but with enough cream and sugar(lots more than I usually use) I'll drink the Starbucks. And I do brew coffee too so as to have it for iced coffee.

Gina

Just bought 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of Juan Valdez coffee at the shop in the airport here in Bogota.

One bag (500 grams) of a "balanced" variety, one bag (500 grams) of a "strong" variety.

We have a drip coffee machine and a french press at our house - will provide an update after the weekend (assuming I'm able to get back to the US :D).

There are a few good local coffee places in newport. Empire coffee & ocean breeze they cost more then Starbucks .

Always like the Coffee Grinder on Bannister's Wharf & Mokka coffee house.

Just bought 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of Juan Valdez coffee at the shop in the airport here in Bogota.

One bag (500 grams) of a "balanced" variety, one bag (500 grams) of a "strong" variety.

We have a drip coffee machine and a french press at our house - will provide an update after the weekend (assuming I'm able to get back to the US :D).
It was good coffee.

It was good coffee.

Took you a while to get through it, eh?

@chevss454 : we feed our GDoodles Purina Pro Plan sensitive stomach salmon. Do you have any thoughts on this? Seamus is fickle as can be often walking away from any food. Sully will eat the rust off of your bumper. They will both eat this and it doesn't cause skin allergies.

Coffee: Make it at home. LOVE DD, but when I go there I get it "regular". No they don't know what "regular" is here. I don't go often, not due to cost, but due to regular being way to high in calories. It is a treat for me once a month usually if I have a little hang over.

Took you a while to get through it, eh?

It's just a fond memory now - perhaps the best coffee we've ever brewed from beans that someone else has roasted. We're doing our own roasting now, which I've mentioned in another thread.

Coffee: Make it at home. LOVE DD, but when I go there I get it "regular". No they don't know what "regular" is here. I don't go often, not due to cost, but due to regular being way to high in calories. It is a treat for me once a month usually if I have a little hang over.

Ah, DD "regular" - lots of cream and sugar. A melted candy bar in a cup. Good times.

It's just a fond memory now - perhaps the best coffee we've ever brewed from beans that someone else has roasted. We're doing our own roasting now, which I've mentioned in another thread.

Ah, DD "regular" - lots of cream and sugar. A melted candy bar in a cup. Good times.
Yup. That’s why I can’t have it very often and when I do it is almost always a weekend morning driving with loud music event. Alone.

Back