Where will Cam end up?

Why waste $3.5 mil when you could have wasted $11.5 mil!
We wasted the 3.5 because we released Cam. Teddy would be here and be our back up.

Lol. Huard was making a million in 2000 which is equivalent to 11 mil now for a back up.
No it isn't. Not even close. The cap in 2000 was $62.2MM, about a third of what it is today. So a million then is the equivalent of about $3MM today. Put another way, paying someone $1MM in 2000 was about 1.5% of your cap. $11.5MM is what, 7-8% of today's cap? It's what you should be paying about 5 average salaried players.

You're spouting nonsense, which I've observed seems to happen whenever the cap comes into play.

Yeah I thought of adding that caveat. I probably should have said the Patriots have never paid top dollar for someone to BE the backup qb.

The Patriots never paid top dollar for a backup qb. It won't change now.
They also had the luxury of having the most durable Qb to play the game.

Next Sunday will be the first time Bill has ever started a rookie in week one. Call me ultra conservative if you want but spending a bit of money on someone of good quality to back up a rookie in a knee brace would be wise this year me thinks.

And you don't know how durable someone is until there are years to prove it.
Exactly. That is why with a rookie, especially one in a knee brace, it is smart to have a solid back up behind him.

Fyi - Brady has more career starts than Favre.

Exactly. That is why with a rookie, especially one in a knee brace, it is smart to have a solid back up behind him.

My point is the Patriots never overpaid for a backup qb for Brady, before he was proven to be durable.

There aren't many, if any teams, that are in very good shape should their starting qb go down.

My point is the Patriots never overpaid for a backup qb for Brady, before he was proven to be durable.

There aren't many, if any teams, that are in very good shape should their starting qb go down.
I agree. I am just saying Hoyer is the bottom of the barrel. Many teams have at least competent back ups that can fill in and win a few games if called upon. Hoyer is 1-18 in his last 19 starts and looked abysmal last year in his one start before Bill demoted him to third string.

I am hoping that Stidham is back in 6 weeks as if Mac can stay healthy until then that would be ideal IMO. The issue is Stidham can't stay healthy. Hence my angst overall on our back up situation.

If Mac was already a proven player who is durable, I would not care this much but he is a rookie and in a knee brace. I hate to see our season torpedoed because we didn't have anything competent behind Mac should he struggle or go down for an extended period of time.

I agree. I am just saying Hoyer is the bottom of the barrel. Many teams have at least competent back ups that can fill in and win a few games if called upon. Hoyer is 1-18 in his last 19 starts and looked abysmal last year in his one start before Bill demoted him to third string.

I am hoping that Stidham is back in 6 weeks as if Mac can stay healthy until then that would be ideal IMO. The issue is Stidham can't stay healthy. Hence my angst overall on our back up situation.

If Mac was already a proven player who is durable, I would not care this much but he is a rookie and in a knee brace. I hate to see our season torpedoed because we didn't have anything competent behind Mac should he struggle or go down for an extended period of time.
I don't know. Do you think Brady would accept a backup roll?:stirpot:

No he's not. He's a declining GM who needs to reliquish the role.
Well, as of last year FTW ranked him #1, sporting news ranked him #4. This year I saw one FM ranking him at #9. I think the bulk of folks paid to evaluate and write about this sort of thing seem to disagree with you, and I think his track record of success in building consistently strong teams with very different profiles also speaks to the fact that you might be wrong on this one.

BB can find and draft talent better than 90% of than his competition. He does whiff on a few picks though. It happens.
That is no even remotely true the last 6-7 years.

No he's not. He's a declining GM who needs to reliquish the role.
GM Bill Belichick 'in decline' has been a hot take for as long as Brady's been 'in decline.

'Belichick the GM is KILLING Belichick the Head Coach' has been a meme since like 2009.

Back