Where would you go if you could time travel?

I understand and the reactions are certainly worthy of thought. I am more interested, however in the causes of such tragedies as 9/11 so as to stop them from recurring. The reactions do fall in line with my understanding that ideas move a man and the world.

Good thought.

And on a poignant and characteristically humorous end, Douglas Adams lays out the end of all worlds with his singular wit in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. :)

View attachment 6198
And that is why I would like to go for starters to 1915 before WW1 and definitely WWII aka Hitler

And that is why I would like to go for starters to 1915 before WW1 and definitely WWII aka Hitler

I think I clearly understand the nature of both the causes of WW1 and the rise of Hitler from the ashes of Weimar Germany and they are ideological at base. But yes, it would be fascinating to witness all of what went down leading to such horrid actions.

I am less fascinated now as it is in evidence all around us currently, but that is a topic for another time and place.

I think I clearly understand the nature of both the causes of WW1 and the rise of Hitler from the ashes of Weimar Germany and they are ideological at base. But yes, it would be fascinating to witness all of what went down leading to such horrid actions.

I am less fascinated now as it is in evidence all around us currently, but that is a topic for another time and place.
Yes, I agree to some point and I say to some point since I don't know what you know versus what I know.

History is so fascinating. UT needs to make this more than just one trip into the future or past.

See, I am more fascinated but that is irrelevent to the comment.

I would love to see Curie for starters and well the list is long. LOLOL

Anyhoo.

I wouldn't mind popping back in time to The Assembly Room in Philadelphia's Independence Hall, where the Second Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence. Just to hear the discussion and the debate. Were they ecstatic, pragmatic, elated? What was the feeling, the atmosphere like?

1024px-Independence_Hall_Assembly_Room.jpg
As an Englishman, I'd like to infiltrate the meeting and say, "you know what? We hardy Americans should prove how tough we are by letting the Brits have all the really fertile bits. We'll keep the desert and they can have the rest".
I have always wondered what the conversation between Obama and Pakistan was like when we told them we were invading their country to take out Bin Laden. And don't ef with us on this.
Didn't they simply go in without asking? From an operational point of view, that would have made most sense.

My sense from what I've read/heard is that the military technology of WW1 was much better (worse) than the various militaries understood at the time. Nobody could have wanted a war that would lead to 40 million deaths (??).

By 1916, if not earlier, it was clear to all parties how bad things were. However, surrendering at that point would have been political and literal suicide for leaders. Quite insane.

Of course, WW2 can be partly attributed to the hell of WW1. It's such a terrible part of our history.

My sense from what I've read/heard is that the military technology of WW1 was much better (worse) than the various militaries understood at the time. Nobody could have wanted a war that would lead to 40 million deaths (??).

By 1916, if not earlier, it was clear to all parties how bad things were. However, surrendering at that point would have been political and literal suicide for leaders. Quite insane.

Of course, WW2 can be partly attributed to the hell of WW1. It's such a terrible part of our history.

Yes, indeed. But the technology that had jumped our understanding at the time was backed by completely misguided priciples.

And on the moment of the signing of the Declaration, I will just say this. Brothers, you asked for it. But even to that point, it benefited Europe in a huge way as time marched on.

Love ya bro and your epic wit.

If I only had one trip I'd do what a few of you have said and go into the far future and see what the ultimate fate of humanity is.

But, if I could go on multiple trips I'd go back and watch historical events that interest me. I'm a huge news nerd and while this might seem morbid I'd go back to see huge news events in the past. Things like go to Omaha Beach and watch the landings there on D-Day, go to Hitler's bunker and watch his final days (although I'd have to learn German obviously) Go back to New York 20 years ago and witness 9/11 live. I'm really weird in that I'm fascinated by extreme situations and disasters. Not because I enjoy seeing people die, but because I'm drawn to how people react in extreme situations like that.

Yeah, I know. I'm a weirdo.
Think I've seen you hanging around 2 or 3 trainwrecks.

Cheers

Initially I would probably go back in time only a few minutes until I felt confident that I could get back. I might only go back further in very small increments. Suppose you go back to look at dinosaurs and can't get back? In any case I am not sure what the sensation of reliving the previous two minutes would be like exactly: would I have agency or would I just be reliving exactly what I had thought and done before? Would I even be aware that I had gone back two minutes? There must be science fiction works that have pursued this topic, but I don't generally read science fiction.

As for going forward, I would have a similar concern. How can I be sure I could get back?
Hit the HOME button... :coffee:

Nothing too creative. Some back to the future nonsense with stock market and sports betting information.

Alright, I have a real one. I would go back in time a year or so back. I passed on a drill press head for a restoration i have here. It had a raise/lower assembly in the head as well as a power feed. It was a little far and a little too much money. Is would go back in time, make the drive and pay the price.

Backward? 1983 to catch myself coming out of high school and tell myself, “buy Apple stock with every penny you can find”

Forward? I think 500 years is a nice round number to see if we ever got the flying car thing figured out.

I thought about going forward five years in advance but I was afraid that my Time capsule what put me on a planet That just finished having a nuclear war and then I died from radiation sickness. So I would rather just go back in time maybe a few weeks in advance but not too much.☕

I assume a Time Machine would be a default Smart©™Device -- all knowing of all events

so if I punched in a request to "take me to meet the very first one and only at the time dumbass in existence"

I could meet him/her and personally end (before they got "busy") the procreation of the masses

of dipshits they would have spawned that I have the misfortune to wade thru on a daily basis today :)

Back