Who makes the best pizza?

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a new thread type for us. You can post a question and allow voting on answers.

Please reply and post some answers.

Last edited:
Ginos East in Chicago, best deep dish I ever had.

ginos-east-deep-dish-pizza-chicago.jpg

Went to Chicago 2 years ago for hockey tourney. Off the plane car rental. Bulk of the team went downtown for the day.

Everyone was looking forward to trying the famous Chicago deep dish.

Don’t recall any walking away impressed.
We have family in Elmhurst Illinois which is just a short Midwestern 5 1/2 hour drive away (might as well be down the street) and we head out there two or three times a year. Whether it be Gino’s or pizzeria duo or one of the other deep dish pizza houses, we always get it one of the nights we're in town and enjoy it.

But if I lived there, I’m not sure I would ever get it.

We were back home a couple of years ago for my 50th birthday party with several Michiganders and everyone left town blown away by pizzeria Regina.

Last edited:
Best Pizzas? Made my own Pizzas from scratch a few times, damn tasty like.

Restaurant? Dante's here in Edinburgh, family run restaurant and their Inferno Pizzas are just the absolute best

I like most pizza...I'd eat some right now actually.
I'm having a slice of pizza an employee ordered right now. It's a delicious Taco Pizza from...Domino's. I'd never have said that about a Domino's Pizza 10 years.
Their pizzas have gotten a lot better than what I remember.

I'm having a slice of pizza an employee ordered right now. It's a delicious Taco Pizza from...Domino's. I'd never have said that about a Domino's Pizza 10 years.

We have a huge Dominos Pizza base here in Michigan as this is the place were they started. you are correct. The pizza there has really improved. During the lockdowns they had $5.99 medium 2 topping special that became common around the house...

My favorite places are in Italy; if you haven’t been, you don’t know what you’re missing. I remember once going to a tiny little pizza shop in modern Pompeii; the oven itself was three hundred years old. The crust was amazing; the herbs that they put on their pizza marinara were bursting with flavor....
My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Almost impossible to find anything comparable around here . A lot of places mentioned are very good, but none, to me, come close to the true pros in Italy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed about Domino's. I feel awkward walking in there for takeout and even worse when I order delivery. My wife is gluten free and she loves their gf pizzas so I'm pretty much stuck getting Domino's whenever we order. I've not been disappointed the last few times.

Let's now talk about.....

Calzones......Yaay or Naay??

Calzones can be great, but IMHO, they are far more dependent on the "crust" than Pizza, since it surrounds the whole damn thing.

If the dough is heavy, it's a boat anchor sitting in your stomach.

If it's light, they are divine.

My favorite places are in Italy; if you haven’t been, you don’t know what you’re missing. I remember once going to a tiny little pizza shop in modern Pompeii; the oven itself was three hundred years old. The crust was amazing; the herbs that they put on their pizza marinara were bursting with flavor....
My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Almost impossible to find anything comparable around here . A lot of places mentioned are very good, but none, to me, come close to the true pros in Italy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I remember being struck by how even little stands and gas stations in Italy (otherwise fairly forgettable places) had personal pizzas that were absolutely delicious.

Caserta’s in Providence is definitely my favorite local option. Though I do live near a Pizzeria Regina and I go there WAY more than I’m proud of (including last night).

I’m a deep dish guy though and Sicilia’s in Providence is the only place I’m aware of that does deep dish anywhere near me. If anyone has a Massachusetts recommendation, please let me know! Old Chicago, Giordano’s and the original Uno (NOT the national chain) are my top deep dish Chicago style places.

Calzones can be great, but IMHO, they are far more dependent on the "crust" than Pizza, since it surrounds the whole damn thing.

If the dough is heavy, it's a boat anchor sitting in your stomach.

If it's light, they are divine.
I've had a lot of hit and misses with Calzones. They're obviously very difficult to get right as you say.

Let's now talk about.....

Calzones......Yaay or Naay??

I love calzones but there's 2 things. The first as OPT mentioned is the crust has to be right.

The other is that at least in New England there are 2 different types. The pizza style and another that is a long 6 inch wide deli type thing with stuff in it like steak and cheese or sausage and pepper with no sauce.

ItalianCalzoneREC15[1].jpg

I love calzones but there's 2 things. The first as OPT mentioned is the crust has to be right.

The other is that at least in New England there are 2 different types. The pizza style and another that is a long 6 inch wide deli type thing with stuff in it like steak and cheese or sausage and pepper with no sauce.

View attachment 217
Now I'm hungry...

Back