Who thinks this Saints players suspensions will stand ?

NFL-Know

NFL Knowledge Is Power
Reaction score
This http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/05/four_players_su.html is the biggest joke of player suspensions that Roger Goodell has ever put forth. It is so hard to justify the levy of player suspensions that were totally controlled by the Saint coaches sanctioning this "boutiful" plenty.

The PA attorneys much be lickin their chops awaiting to pounce on the NFL to resind these suspensions or at minimum SIGNIFICANTLY reduce them. :fire:

Any comments about this........:jedi:

This http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/05/four_players_su.html is the biggest joke of player suspensions that Roger Goodell has ever put forth. It is so hard to justify the levy of player suspensions that were totally controlled by the Saint coaches sanctioning this "boutiful" plenty.

The PA attorneys much be lickin their chops awaiting to pounce on the NFL to resind these suspensions or at minimum SIGNIFICANTLY reduce them. :fire:

The NFL has plenty of good lawyers on their side. I'm sure they were consulted prior to the decision. I doubt this ever gets to a civil court, and if it does I doubt the NFL will lose.

Goodell let BR off the hook, and coddled Vick, so who knows?.

When Spygate surfaced in 07 Goodell levied a rather hefty penalty which didn't really fit the crime committed, as such Goodell knew that he had to impose incredibly heavy sanctions on the Saints, you set a level and you must stick to it. None of these penalties will be reduced on appeal.

These are extreme, what he should have done is have each player involved give 80% of every game moneys of there suspensions to the Make a Wish foundation and let these guys still play for there 20%. IMO

I think the suspensions are unwarranted unless these guys actually hurt someone deliberately on the field. And even then, in game rules and post game reviews should have taken care of those crimes. While the idea of bounties and aiming for injury susceptible areas is nasty, the coaches are to blame for using this motivation tactic. We want to crush, kill and destroy, but in figurative terms. I would be pissed if this happened to the Pats players. This smells of a league coverup for something else. Goodell has got to go. I hope the players win their appeals.

Not a Goodell fan at all, but to be fair, I heard today that when Goodell took over there had been 80 player arrests that year, and last year it was down to 16.

So he IS having an effect in the player discipline area.

Here is some update on this http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ints-bounties-puts-nflpa-in-awkward-situation

I think the suspensions were justified. Maybe a little on the high side in regards to duration, but nonetheless they were deserved.

The Saints knew the NFL was investigating a bounty program. If the coaches and management knew, you damn well know the players knew. Instead of letting it go, everyone involved denied it, stonewalled the nfl and continued the bounty program.

You reap what you sew. If the Saints, players and coaches alike, stopped when they were told to, nothing would have ever come out and nobody would be facing the firing line. Yet, thats not what happened.

Based on that, the punishments meted out were definately warranted for the players and coaches in the big easy.

I think the suspensions are unwarranted unless these guys actually hurt someone deliberately on the field. And even then, in game rules and post game reviews should have taken care of those crimes. While the idea of bounties and aiming for injury susceptible areas is nasty, the coaches are to blame for using this motivation tactic. We want to crush, kill and destroy, but in figurative terms. I would be pissed if this happened to the Pats players. This smells of a league coverup for something else. Goodell has got to go. I hope the players win their appeals.
This
Posted via Mobile Device

No qualms with the suspensions, so long as there's evidence of intent to injure. I think it's foolish to suspend only if someone got hurt. Intending to injure someone is bad regardless of the outcome.

No qualms with the suspensions, so long as there's evidence of intent to injure. I think it's foolish to suspend only if someone got hurt. Intending to injure someone is bad regardless of the outcome.

Intending to injure someone for monetary gain is even worse, that's what the whole bounty program boils down to in effect.

Intending to injure someone for monetary gain is even worse, that's what the whole bounty program boils down to in effect.

The whole (unwritten) premise of the NFL is that players are paid to level crushing hits on other players. We all stand up and cheer when this happens. Everyone is getting on some high-horse moral ground feel good about themselves thing. I call BS. This is Roman Gladiators fighting for survival. Admit it. Otherwise we'd all be watching ***, I mean flag, football.

Illegal hits are one thing. Screwed up motivation tactics are something else. I still think these punishments of the players is wrong.

The NFLPA has a tightrope to walk; if they only support the Saints' players, they're ignoring the players who were hurt because of the bounty system, so they can't just back the Saints' players.

That, of course, depends on whether there's evidence that there was intent to injure.

I'm speechless. Maybe the attorney can jump in here.

Montana D'Angelo?
Posted via Mobile Device

Vilma got the worst of it. His season is over without pay.

The whole (unwritten) premise of the NFL is that players are paid to level crushing hits on other players. We all stand up and cheer when this happens. Everyone is getting on some high-horse moral ground feel good about themselves thing. I call BS. This is Roman Gladiators fighting for survival. Admit it. Otherwise we'd all be watching ***, I mean flag, football.

Illegal hits are one thing. Screwed up motivation tactics are something else. I still think these punishments of the players is wrong.

Leveling crushing hits is fine. There's a huge difference between playing hard and executing great legal hits and taking the field with the intent to injure someone.

How many ex NFL players have said things about what goes on at the bottom of the pile. Grab a leg and give it an extra twist. Poke, pinch, twist, you name it. I think you are splitting nits. All football players love the hit that knocks the other guy woozy. I am totally on board with punishing players for deliberately taking out a knee. I guess my question then is how many players did these suspended guys illegally hurt and why weren't they penalized at the time with a flag and fine. If they didn't hurt anyone, then the bounty motivation was just a ploy to fire guys up.

I fear that any hit this year that isn't picture perfect textbook will be flagged, fined and suspended. You think defenses sucked last year, just wait. I may have to start watching rugby.

How many ex NFL players have said things about what goes on at the bottom of the pile. Grab a leg and give it an extra twist. Poke, pinch, twist, you name it. I think you are splitting nits. All football players love the hit that knocks the other guy woozy. I am totally on board with punishing players for deliberately taking out a knee. I guess my question then is how many players did these suspended guys illegally hurt and why weren't they penalized at the time with a flag and fine. If they didn't hurt anyone, then the bounty motivation was just a ploy to fire guys up.

I fear that any hit this year that isn't picture perfect textbook will be flagged, fined and suspended. You think defenses sucked last year, just wait. I may have to start watching rugby.

The bottom of the pile is part of the game. I've been there, albeit not on such a grand scale. There's a huge difference between grabbing a guy's nuts and squeezing to get the ball in the heat of the moment and stepping on the field targeting a guy for injury. There absolutely, positively, 100% is. No doubt.

Now, the intent of the Saints players may still be up in the air, that I don't know. If there's ambiguity, I err on the side of reducing the suspensions. If there isn't, the suspensions stand. The issue isn't who was hurt, the issue is taking the field trying to injure.

Anthony Hargrove apparently admitted that this was going on. Jonathan Vilma, OTOH, has vehemently denied it, even in the face of evidence that he was throwing boatloads of money down. He was given the worst of the suspensions because he was a captain and a leader in the locker room and a force behind the whole bounty thing. He had a chance to come clean and didn't, in fact wouldn't even speak with investigators. I'm sure that played a factor in his lengthy suspension.

The game is violent enough. When you're throwing money on a table and saying this goes to anyone who takes out Kurt Warner or Brett Favre or TOM BRADY, you don't belong on the field. The GM knew about it, the HC knew about it, the players knew about it. All were warned, and a 3-yr investigation ensued. This is the result. These players thought they were bigger than the NFL. They aren't.

Back