Wildcard Game. Traveling back to Buffalo

HipKat

Buffalo to The Bone!!
Reaction score
I wanted The Chargers. A west coast team, not a division rival, traveling to a cold-weather stadium. But, the story plays out better if it's this particular division rivalry. Here are the advantages as I see them.

Coaching - Pats. This is a no-brainer.McD is a good coach but he's not the GOAT.
QB - Bills. Sorry, but Mac is a mediocre QB. Only in NE, does anyone think otherwise. Allen brings the intangibles. His arm, his legs and his ability to sacrifice himself.
Offense - Even. NE has the ability to break big runs, Buffalo can hit big passes and as Allen goes, the offense goes with him. Both teams are inconsistent. For the Bills, that means play-calling. Daboll has not gotten past calling ridiculous plays at ridiculous times.
Defense - Even. These are two top-tier defenses and both will refuse to give in to the other team.
Other - Pats. The Bills have a bad habit of getting in their own head and I think NE will bring more of a "been there" attitude to the first playoff game and will work to take the Bills fans out of the game.

It's going to be a tough, close game. If Buffalo can get to Mac as consistently as they have been getting to QB's the last few weeks and shut down the run as they have done in the latter part of the season, Bills win.
If NE can keep Allen from using his legs and can force him to make errant throws that lead to INT's like he's done more often in the last few weeks and break those big runs, NE wins.

It's a pick 'em game that will have a very close line, I'm sure.

No question that Pats fans would agree that as of now, Allen is better. But there is a caveat on Mac that he's a rookie. Allen was woeful in his rookie season.

Mac has shown enough to suggest he can be very good but he's a rookie and has a lot to learn facing NFL calibre defenses.

I don't expect the Patriots to win this. It would be nice if they did, but I am not expecting it.

Still, I consider this season very much a success win or lose.
unfortunately I don't either. nothing I've seen in the last month other then Jags game makes me think it'll happen. You never know, and I'll be watch and rooting, but this season was a nice turnaround
now Mac needs to lift weights, Pats need to beef up both lines, and BSF needs to get back into that Girlie pic thread.... :coffee:

HK - Mac is looking mediocre right now, but give it time. he needs to adjust to how the NFL has adjusted to him. Remember that Allen was thought of as a bust the first 2 seasons, and now he's the poster child for a struggling young QB needing time (not that that is a bad thing, teams give up too quickly on QB's)

The way the defense has played lately my expectations are that the Bills will drive up and down the field. The question is if the offense can keep up and do so without any miscues. Also, Allen is bound to throw some interceptable balls, but will the defense make a play?

I feel that will dictate how the game will go. It will either be a mess like the second game or a tight and dominating game like the first. But for that to happen Pats will have to be out for blood, which hasn't happened consistently these past few weeks.

How many INTs have our defense let go the past few weeks? Seems to have been a few.

I don't expect the Patriots to win this. It would be nice if they did, but I am not expecting it.

Still, I consider this season very much a success win or lose.
Same here, a little painful, but the reality is that we are missing some pieces to really compete. Overall there's still a lot to be happy about looking at the future of this team. That said I'm not ruling out the possibility of playing over our heads and knocking thos d bags out of the playoffs.

Inconsistency killed this team this year, but somehow they managed to make the playoffs. No high expectations but wouldn't be surprised if they pull off an upset or two.

I wanted The Chargers. A west coast team, not a division rival, traveling to a cold-weather stadium. But, the story plays out better if it's this particular division rivalry. Here are the advantages as I see them.

Coaching - Pats. This is a no-brainer.McD is a good coach but he's not the GOAT.
QB - Bills. Sorry, but Mac is a mediocre QB. Only in NE, does anyone think otherwise. Allen brings the intangibles. His arm, his legs and his ability to sacrifice himself.
Offense - Even. NE has the ability to break big runs, Buffalo can hit big passes and as Allen goes, the offense goes with him. Both teams are inconsistent. For the Bills, that means play-calling. Daboll has not gotten past calling ridiculous plays at ridiculous times.
Defense - Even. These are two top-tier defenses and both will refuse to give in to the other team.
Other - Pats. The Bills have a bad habit of getting in their own head and I think NE will bring more of a "been there" attitude to the first playoff game and will work to take the Bills fans out of the game.

It's going to be a tough, close game. If Buffalo can get to Mac as consistently as they have been getting to QB's the last few weeks and shut down the run as they have done in the latter part of the season, Bills win.
If NE can keep Allen from using his legs and can force him to make errant throws that lead to INT's like he's done more often in the last few weeks and break those big runs, NE wins.

It's a pick 'em game that will have a very close line, I'm sure.
Bills by 4.5

That's not particularly close. That's also probably about right. It will drop when all the Patriots money comes in, but it shouldn't.

Edit: How many games did Josh Allen win his rookie year again?

HK - Mac is looking mediocre right now, but give it time. he needs to adjust to how the NFL has adjusted to him. Remember that Allen was thought of as a bust the first 2 seasons, and now he's the poster child for a struggling young QB needing time (not that that is a bad thing, teams give up too quickly on QB's)
I should have worded it that way and said that right now he is a mediocre quarterback, not that he's destined to remain mediocre

Post over on the range made me laugh;

JoeFergusson : Thanks, You still need a good QB, Macaroni Jones ain't it.

Nice sneering nickname. :rofl:

Post over on the range made me laugh;

JoeFergusson : Thanks, You still need a good QB, Macaroni Jones ain't it.

Nice sneering nickname. :rofl:
They'd better not let him go in there and beat them a second time. That's all I'm gonna say.

If this game were at Gillette I wouldn't give the Pats a chance but playing in Buffalo they at least have a shot but I ain't holding my breath after that performance this weekend against the Doll-fins.

several good points made in other posts that I'll comment on in one ramble....
Pats haven't come up with a timely pic lately when they've had the chance. they will have to hold on to any of those this game - or come up with a fumble recovery - while NOT making any of their own.
I also expect Bills to march up and down the field, but can we hold them to FG's in the red zone?
Can Josh come up with some unique plays to get opposing D's from crowding the line.
lets all hope they have some tricks up their sleeve they chose not to reveal in last game once they had playoff spot secured (I know, Pats Home optimism)

Pats are some players and experience away from being a real threat.... but would be sweet to knock off the Bills in their place.

If this game were at Gillette I wouldn't give the Pats a chance but playing in Buffalo they at least have a shot but I ain't holding my breath after that performance this weekend against the Doll-fins.
Point. Don't think it matters much. But people seem to always bring up "elevated motivation". I trust that BB will B way up for this one

I thought you were smarter than this, HipKat.

1. Mac is a rookie.
2. If you think that everyone outside of NE thinks Mac is a medicore QB you must get all your news and analysis from 2BillsDrive.
3. John has the physicals: arm, legs and strength. His intangibles, trying to do too much and his willingness to sacrifice, are not what you want in a QB. You notice Mac step aside and not try to make the tackle on the INT? I agree that Josh would have sacrificed himself to make the tackle, but that is NO what you want from your franchise QB. One six-point play is not worth losing him for the playoffs. Yes, stand in the pocket and take the hit to complete a pass. That's his job. No, do not tackle a runner. That his not a QBs job. Without Allen you slip back to where you were.

Mac did make a tackle early in the year.... I'm sure Josh/BB showed him what happened to Mayfield.

Back