Wilfork, Seymour and Bruschi Among The 2022 HOF Nominees

I'm sure just about every modern day player has rubbed a little "flaxseed oil" on a boo boo at least one time in their career, but most important part of making that decision: Don't get caught

Rodney has two strikes against him:
  1. Many of his peers believe he was a dirty player
  2. He got caught using HGH (it doesn't help that this was right around the time the Barry Bonds/BALCO scandal was heating up)
I hate that because he was awesome and I truly believe it's less common for a player with any longevity to have not used a substance at least one time, but the world is laughably hypocritical. The NFL's policy is a joke and more guys are busted for taking Sudafed or Claritin-D than anything for which these rules are truly intended to police out of the game. But Rodney got pinched by the Feds and it was open-and-shut at that point.

I still think he gets in, but he's going to have to endure years of being poked in the balls with a letter opener before it happens.

My memory must be shot but what has Seymour done that makes him a shoe in for the HOF? He was a great player for us but I wouldn't say he was one of the outstanding defensive lineman that the NFL has seen. IMO if he gets in then it further proves that the HOF is almost as meaningless as the Pro Bowl. :shrug-n:
He played a 3-4DE who commanded double teams. We also don't win the first SB without him playing a 3-4 NT. Couldn't have been a more versatile 3-4 player across the line than that in that era.

He was the preeminent 3-4 DE. Name another in the 2000s that was as great. I can't do it. Marcellus Wiley? haha There were good, solid and effective ones but they weren't commanding a double on ever snap and producing. I will say the 2003 Seymour/Washington Wall wasn't going to be run on. It was literally a wall if someone wanted to run to the strong side. They had the run game defended by the end of the 1st qtr and then it was about getting a lead, knowing the opponent would start passing. and BB had the trap set.

There were some good ones, but I can't remember one who teams gameplanned around. When you play a 3-4 DL position your stats drop which is part of the reason why most NFL teams don't run it. You get abused and the NT takes on most of the doubles without much fanfare. Those guys allow the LBs to flourish. Once BB drafted Wilfork, teams couldn't just double Seymour. He also hurt his leg in 2006, so he did go down a tick after that but he was still a beast. He had the perfect 3-4 DE body, too. 6'6, 310 lbs, long arms and toro. It's what you want.

I look at Seymour as a 3-4 DE who had an impact like a Charles Haley at 3-4 OLB. People forgot how great Haley was to the 9ers and Cowboys title teams just like how people forget about Seymour.

Once 2009 rolled around he wanted what cuckoo bird Al Davis would give him (12 mil per) and he wasn't commanding double teams, BB wisely moved on and collected that 1st rd pick. I remember watching the Raiders in 2012 and seeing Tommy Kelly outplay him and thinking how good it would be to get that guy in there. Kelly's injury in 2013 was terrible along with VInce's and Mayo's. The middle of the D just destroyed in 2 weeks.

Akiem Hicks is the closest 3-4 DE I've seen in here that comes close and Lawrence Guy certainly is a good player now, one of the best 3-4 DEs in football the last 3 years. Jarvis Green was pretty good at DE in the 3-4 on that weakside, too. He wasn't a protoypical 3-4 DE either. He was more of a 4-3 DT, but he could do both well.

Last edited:
I'm sure just about every modern day player has rubbed a little "flaxseed oil" on a boo boo at least one time in their career, but most important part of making that decision: Don't get caught

2. He got caught using HGH (it doesn't help that this was right around the time the Barry Bonds/BALCO scandal was heating up)
I hate that because he was awesome and I truly believe it's less common for a player with any longevity to have not used a substance at least one time, but the world is laughably hypocritical. The NFL's policy is a joke and more guys are busted for taking Sudafed or Claritin-D than anything for which these rules are truly intended to police out of the game. But Rodney got pinched by the Feds and it was open-and-shut at that point.

I still think he gets in, but he's going to have to endure years of being poked in the balls with a letter opener before it happens.
Every guy in the league used HGH before testing began in 2014. It's not like he denied it. That's HOW a guy can come back in a year after a blown out ACL or an achilles and act like nothing happened. He was cheapshotted in a bountygate situation by Bobby Wade and Goodell sat there and did nothing. I still remember Bruschi jawing at Jeff Fisher and their sideline after happened.

Peyton Manning shouldn't be in the HOF then.

I get your general point, but those people are disingenuous.

Lastly, Rodney certainly played through the whistle and was chippy at times, but there were tons of Safeties who played really violently in the 1990s. Andre Waters, Steve Atwater, Alvin Walton, Chuck Cecil, Mark Carrier, Donovan Darius, etc. That was sort of the era. It wasn't just him. Again, slighlty disingenuous, even though I get your point.

I think it has a lot more to do with jealousy towards a dynasty being formed and him being a big part of that. The rest of the statements are excuses made by super jealous people.

Even in the SB alone where NE played Philly. Harrison outplayed Dawkins in that game. It just makes no sense to see each's resume were people try to move the goalposts because of jealousy of where a player played.

There's plenty of teams I don't like, but I an recognize a great player over a 10 year period.

You know who is overrated? Darelle Revis. 3 great years, and then hit a wall with injuries and holdouts, was pretty good in 2014 for us, and then he kinda sucked again unwilling to tackle, etc. Are 3 great years and 1 ring enough?

Which, by the way, probably shouldn't be very surprising. Belichick didn't generally build around stars and A-listers. He built his roster for depth, to survive a season of attrition and to make sure that he could go to matchups deep in the depth chart to give him an edge. He wanted matchup problems and flexibility. On offense, it didn't matter if it was that his WR1 was better than your CB1 or his WR4 was head and shoulders better than your 4th best cover player...even at something specific. It's very expensive to get the very best WR1s, but getting 4 guys who are at the WR2 or 3 level isn't nearly as expensive. On defense, he didn't need a player that was dominant at all aspects of his position. He sought out players without clear weaknesses that could be exploited on one hand, and players who did one thing extremely well on the other hand. The former was to make sure he wasn't able to easy be exploited. The latter was to give him the opportunity to exploit the opposition.
Yep.

Of all the brilliance of BB as a GM and Head Coach, it's a great underrated element of his work. It makes it very tough for NE to be gameplanned against because you could watch so much film and never really see patterns develop with Pats teams unless some of the weaker ones like in 2009 or maybe 2019 (on offense). It's very simple and it takes work to coach the players up, but it's genius, too.

I can tell what certain teams will do every week in this league. Pittsburgh is a good example. It's why NE has always owned them.

Yep.

Of all the brilliance of BB as a GM and Head Coach, it's a great underrated element of his work. It makes it very tough for NE to be gameplanned against because you could watch so much film and never really see patterns develop with Pats teams unless some of the weaker ones like in 2009 or maybe 2019 (on offense). It's very simple and it takes work to coach the players up, but it's genius, too.

I can tell what certain teams will do every week in this league. Pittsburgh is a good example. It's why NE has always owned them.
Jonas Grey (or whatever his name was) likes this.

Flax isn't actually all that good for you. It lowers your testosterone levels... :coffee:

Every guy in the league used HGH before testing began in 2014. It's not like he denied it. That's HOW a guy can come back in a year after a blown out ACL or an achilles and act like nothing happened. He was cheapshotted in a bountygate situation by Bobby Wade and Goodell sat there and did nothing. I still remember Bruschi jawing at Jeff Fisher and their sideline after happened.

Peyton Manning shouldn't be in the HOF then.

I get your general point, but those people are disingenuous.

Lastly, Rodney certainly played through the whistle and was chippy at times, but there were tons of Safeties who played really violently in the 1990s. Andre Waters, Steve Atwater, Alvin Walton, Chuck Cecil, Mark Carrier, Donovan Darius, etc. That was sort of the era. It wasn't just him. Again, slighlty disingenuous, even though I get your point.

I think it has a lot more to do with jealousy towards a dynasty being formed and him being a big part of that. The rest of the statements are excuses made by super jealous people.

Even in the SB alone where NE played Philly. Harrison outplayed Dawkins in that game. It just makes no sense to see each's resume were people try to move the goalposts because of jealousy of where a player played.

There's plenty of teams I don't like, but I an recognize a great player over a 10 year period.

You know who is overrated? Darelle Revis. 3 great years, and then hit a wall with injuries and holdouts, was pretty good in 2014 for us, and then he kinda sucked again unwilling to tackle, etc. Are 3 great years and 1 ring enough?
You and I are in agreement; the hypocrisy is laughable. They can split hairs all they want because Rodney's package arrived addressed to him while Manning's package arrived addressed to his wife. We all know who the true recipient was.

And the S position by nature is filled with a laundry list of guys many have proclaimed to be "dirty."

Flax isn't actually all that good for you. It lowers your testosterone levels... :coffee:

Well then... that explains my luscious tits :coffee:

You and I are in agreement; the hypocrisy is laughable. They can split hairs all they want because Rodney's package arrived addressed to him while Manning's package arrived addressed to his wife. We all know who the true recipient was.

And the S position by nature is filled with a laundry list of guys many have proclaimed to be "dirty."
Yeah, I wasn't trying to confront your comments, more to just talk out why it's bullsh*t.

love them all...well not seymour...😄..but i want rodney in there before anyone else.
The fact that Rodney isn't in, and Willie McGinest isn't in, tells me all I need to know about the HoF committee, and how they feel about Patriots getting in.
Hell, they're still inducting waterboys in from the 70s Steelers.

The fact that Rodney isn't in, and Willie McGinest isn't in, tells me all I need to know about the HoF committee, and how they feel about Patriots getting in.
Hell, they're still inducting waterboys in from the 70s Steelers.

The Steelers aren't even subtle about it. When Franco Harris was inducted all those years ago he said in his speech, "they're building a Steelers win in the Hall of Fame". The committee will be dragged kicking and screaming before inducting any patriot like Rodney, Willie Mac etc.

Back