Wilfork, Seymour and Bruschi Among The 2022 HOF Nominees

Seymour is getting in eventually IMO.

Wilfork and Teddy I think are going to have a tough time.

I love Teddy, but no.

Wilfork was the best player at his position for a good number of years and should get in, but since sacks are the only stat that matters for d-linemen he probably won't.

Seymour probably has a chance but suffers from the same problem Wilfork has, he did his job.

Wilfork was the best player at his position for a good number of years and should get in, but since sacks are the only stat that matters for d-linemen he probably won't.
It also doesn't help that his position is often overlooked by the Hall.

I'm pulling for Willie McGinest. He played well for so long and was important during those formative years as a player and a leader.
I loved Troy Brown, too, but I don't see it for him.

They're Patriots. No one gets in.
And it's a shame, because Wilfork was as good a defensive player as anyone else in the league for about 5 years there.
It's rare you see a guy able to change the game from the defensive tackle position.

And it's a shame, because Wilfork was as good a defensive player as anyone else in the league for about 5 years there.
It's rare you see a guy able to change the game from the defensive tackle position.

I think he has a good shot actually for the reasons you bring up. It may take a few years.

I think he has a good shot actually for the reasons you bring up. It may take a few years.
Also he always called it 'University of Miami', never 'Da U'.
You wouldn't think that would matter, but considering how many are in the Hall at this point...

I am genuinely surprised Seymour is not already in.
McGinest will have to sweat it out but I do think he's got the next best chance to get in; his regular season #'s are solid and his postseason stats are historic.
I do not consider Bruschi a legitimate HOF candidate and I am on the fence with Wilfork. In the end, I don't think he ever gets in.

Seymour and Wilfork are locks. I've never seen a better 3-4 NT in my lifetime. Ngata is the 2nd best I've seen. Ted Washington was also outstanding, but not one was better than Vince in his prime.

You have to know where Seymour was and where Wilfork was at all times. They changed games.

Bruschi won't get in, but there is a case. Played in 5 SBs, was one of the great postseason LBs of his era and has stats that rival or are better than Nick Buonoconti's.

Love Tedy but I don't think so. Willie and Vince should make it but it could take a few years.

McGinest will have to sweat it out but I do think he's got the next best chance to get in; his regular season #'s are solid and his postseason stats are historic.
I do not consider Bruschi a legitimate HOF candidate and I am on the fence with Wilfork. In the end, I don't think he ever gets in.
There is an anti-Patriots bias with these due to the dynasty and the subsequent jealousy blocks these guys. It's disgusting watching these other players who have media jobs like Warner, Terrell Davis and guys like that who are barely borderline, get in with ease.

How Brian Dawkins, Lynch or Polamalu are in and Rodney Harrison is not, simply makes no sense. None of those players were superior to Harrison. Played in 4 SBs, is the only Safety in history to have at least 30 sacks and 30 INTs and has more rings than all 3.

It's just disgusting.

Wait until Edelman comes up, or Slater or a nomination like Scarnecchia (greatest OL coach in history), the latter who SHOULD be the first non-head coach to get in with his resume, but won't. Why? Jealousy.

Years from now people will ask in Canton how a team can form 2 dynasties and so few players were great (when they were).

Last edited:
Patriots Parity Punishment (TM)

Seymour and Wilfork are locks. I've never seen a better 3-4 NT in my lifetime. Ngata is the 2nd best I've seen. Ted Washington was also outstanding, but not one was better than Vince in his prime.

You have to know where Seymour was and where Wilfork was at all times. They changed games.

Bruschi won't get in, but there is a case. Played in 5 SBs, was one of the great postseason LBs of his era and has stats that rival or are better than Nick Buonoconti's.
:smilies-11117:

Seymour should be the lock of the group.
Rodney deserves it for sure. Wilfork was as dominant as anyone at his position, should get in maybe not this year. Mangold and Saturday are pretty solid choices too.

I se Whines Hard is on the list, maybe we can get one last Whine if he doesn't make the cut.

Wilfork should definitely be in, as one of the best players of all time at his position - which is an impact position. But I expect it will be a struggle for him, because it's not easily measurable. It's not a position that racks up stats, and in the common fan's mind isn't easily distinguished from other DL roles which do rack up stats. It's like trying to get a dominant interior OL or RT into the HOF - an uphill battle. Out of all of them, I'd say Wilfork changed any given game the most. He forced offenses to pay special attention to him and adjust what they could do, and broadened the range of what defenses could do because of his dominance and flexibility. He made the DL on either side of him (including Seymour, IMO) better, and the LBs behind him much better.

Rodney should be in over Polamalu and Lynch; I'd put him about on par with Dawkins when considering their level of play over their entire career, though I'd say Rodney had two peaks - the first was the more typical peak where the end of his physical peak coincided with the development of his high football IQ and experience. The second was at the tail end of his career in New England, where while his physical skills had started to decline, his football IQ and overall impact exploded because of the education under Belichick and the perfect way he was deployed to suit his skills and abilities.

I like Seymour, though I've always thought that Patriots fans probably overrated him a touch. He was definitely one of the best DTs of his era; not sure how he stacks up vs. those who are already in or under consideration. Personally I have very high standards for the HOF, less about longevity than about dominance. Was there any year where we could say that Seymour was the best DT or (3-4) DE in the NFL? Maybe. I don't think so. If you take away the impact of Wilfork playing next to him, did he regularly force offenses - particularly those that had a high quality OL opposite him - to adjust because of him? I could be wrong, but I don't think so. The biggest problem for opposing offenses was that they so often already had a 2nd OLman helping with Wilfork that they had to rely on other means of helping with Seymour, which put them in a bind.

McGinest would be borderline except that he was so clutch when it counted, that probably pushes him over the edge.

I don't think anyone else is clearly in.

Seymour should be the lock of the group.
Rodney deserves it for sure. Wilfork was as dominant as anyone at his position, should get in maybe not this year. Mangold and Saturday are pretty solid choices too.

I se Whines Hard is on the list, maybe we can get one last Whine if he doesn't make the cut.

My memory must be shot but what has Seymour done that makes him a shoe in for the HOF? He was a great player for us but I wouldn't say he was one of the outstanding defensive lineman that the NFL has seen. IMO if he gets in then it further proves that the HOF is almost as meaningless as the Pro Bowl. :shrug-n:

I don't think anyone else is clearly in.
Which, by the way, probably shouldn't be very surprising. Belichick didn't generally build around stars and A-listers. He built his roster for depth, to survive a season of attrition and to make sure that he could go to matchups deep in the depth chart to give him an edge. He wanted matchup problems and flexibility. On offense, it didn't matter if it was that his WR1 was better than your CB1 or his WR4 was head and shoulders better than your 4th best cover player...even at something specific. It's very expensive to get the very best WR1s, but getting 4 guys who are at the WR2 or 3 level isn't nearly as expensive. On defense, he didn't need a player that was dominant at all aspects of his position. He sought out players without clear weaknesses that could be exploited on one hand, and players who did one thing extremely well on the other hand. The former was to make sure he wasn't able to easy be exploited. The latter was to give him the opportunity to exploit the opposition.

Back