Will Tom Brady Retire as a Patriot?

vertigho

Reaction score
Pretty straightforward question: When Tom Brady makes the decision to retire from the NFL, will he formally rejoin the Patriots as part of the retirement process?

2-3+ years ago, I would've thought such a question is absurd, but in light of recent events, I wouldn't be shocked to see Brady make the decision to retire as a Buccaneer (or whichever team he's on at that point).

For a little context on what spurred this specific question: According to Curran's recent article, Tom Brady Sr. has donated/given-away nearly all of his Patriots' memorabilia; that, along with Sr's generally vindictive tone re: the Patriots, which I think is a least a partial proxy for Jr's thoughts ... I began to wonder if the younger Brady might not ultimately retire a Patriot.

I wonder if he made a gentleman's agreement with Kraft after he left for Tampa Bay, and if that commitment may result in him rejoining the Patriots before formally retiring. At any rate, I hope the situation cools-off and that Brady remains close with the Patriots organization and Belichick following his retirement. We shall see.

Edit - here's the link: 'Damn Right': Tom Brady's Father Says QB Feels Vindicated By Post-Patriots Success

“Damn right,” Brady Sr. said with a satisfied look. “Damn rights. [Bill] Belichick wanted him out the door, and last year he threw 56 touchdowns. I think that’s a pretty good year.”

In a follow-up question, Brady Sr. was then asked if he believes his son feels vindicated as well.

“Damn rights,” he said with the same face. “Damn rights.”
In the interview in Curran’s podcast, Brady Sr. said he doesn’t have too much Patriots memorabilia in his house anymore, with most of it having been donated.
“Very nostalgic,” he said. “That was our home for 20 years, and, you know, the fans embraced Tommy, and the city embraced Tommy, and the team embraced Tommy for a while. And so, when he comes home, it’s gonna be a real treat that he spent 20 years making his mark in Boston.

--

"the team embraced Tommy for a while"

As an aside, it stings to see all these barbs being thrown. Obviously I still wish Brady was a Patriot, but to see the bitter, vindictive tone over a year removed from the situation, is ... really unfortunate. Wish Belichick had made more of an effort to keep Brady, and wish Brady and co. were more considerate and mindful of what the Patriots did for him, and how Brady's experience in New England enabled him to find success in Tampa Bay.

Last edited:
“Damn right,” Brady Sr. said with a satisfied look. “Damn rights. [Bill] Belichick wanted him out the door, and last year he threw 56 touchdowns. I think that’s a pretty good year.”

In a follow-up question, Brady Sr. was then asked if he believes his son feels vindicated as well.

“Damn rights,” he said with the same face. “Damn rights.”

I also think 56 touchdowns would be a pretty good year. Unfortunately, no QB in NFL history has ever thrown 56 TDs in a season. Brady actually had 40 TDs last year, which was still a great year.

I am sick of hearing from Brady Sr. I wish he would just shut the fuck up and enjoy the rest of his son's career.

Age (there it is with you, again) has nothing to do with it. Anyone who has ever coached Little League, Pop Warner and right on up from there knows that helicopter parents hovering over their kids is a common concern. It's telling that both Brady and Gronkowski, despite being absolute HOF locks, have fathers who publicly complained about the hard coaching their children received in NE and it shouldn't have been surprising that their sons have both admitted that it was a factor in them wanting to leave for a new team.

Tom's dad said a lot during that interview.
He said for the first time that it was BB who wanted to move on from Tom.
His tone - he was obviously not happy BB didn't want his son back but at the same time he was sticking his tongue out at BB throughout the interview.

[From the perspective of Tom Brady Sr. it was blatantly clear: Bill Belichick wanted the New England Patriots to move on from Tom Brady.]

But Brady Sr. also said this.

“My feeling is that Tommy is extraordinarily appreciative of everything that happened during his New England career, and he’s more than happy than that he’s moved on, because it was pretty obvious that the Patriot regime felt that it was time for him to move on,” Brady Sr. said during the podcast. “And frankly it may well have been the perfect (time) for Belichick to move on from him. On the other hand, I think the Tampa Bay Bucs are pretty happy that the decision was made in Foxboro that they (couldn’t) afford him or didn’t want to keep him when his last contract came up.”

NESN speaks about it here.

But time heals all. After a few years have gone by perspectives change. We remember the good and forget the bad. Old frictions fade. That's how our brains are programmed.

What his dumb father again seems to not realise is that Brady would not have thrown 40 TDs last season nor won the SB if he has stayed with the Patriots. He walked into a Bucs team that was loaded with Talent and he got them going in a winning direction. Tom would have done fuck all with the Patriots in 2020. The team is in the middle of a complete rebuild. Bill and Kraft had a duty to move forward and get the next QB in place and Tom wanted out as well, to try something different and he's done that. Both sides should be content with where they are.

Last edited:
Tom's dad said a lot during that interview.
He said for the first time that it was BB who wanted to move on from Tom.
His tone - he was obviously not happy BB didn't want his son back but at the same time he was sticking his tongue out at BB throughout the interview.

[From the perspective of Tom Brady Sr. it was blatantly clear: Bill Belichick wanted the New England Patriots to move on from Tom Brady.]

But Brady Sr. also said this.

“My feeling is that Tommy is extraordinarily appreciative of everything that happened during his New England career, and he’s more than happy than that he’s moved on, because it was pretty obvious that the Patriot regime felt that it was time for him to move on,” Brady Sr. said during the podcast. “And frankly it may well have been the perfect (time) for Belichick to move on from him. On the other hand, I think the Tampa Bay Bucs are pretty happy that the decision was made in Foxboro that they (couldn’t) afford him or didn’t want to keep him when his last contract came up.”

NESN speaks about it here.

But time heals all. After a few years have gone by perspectives change. We remember the good and forget the bad. Old frictions fade. That's how our brains are programmed.

Given how competitive Brady is, I expected the frictions won't fully fade until Brady retires, (somewhat) comes out of his hyper-competitive state of mind, and becomes more reflective. That's probably when you'll really see him come around and express a lot of appreciation for Belichick/the Patriots because he'll be in a place to be able to reflect and evaluate the impact his time there had on his career ... I'd guess around the time he's 52-55'ish.

So long as he's playing, he's going to have that competitive edge/chip, until the day he hangs 'em up.

Brady Sr. acting like a scorned teenager with an agenda is burning bridges that took 20 years to build.

E_4jcslVgAAYTK5

Pretty stupid of him, it accomplishes nothing. But if his father feels like this, there is a very good chance his son does as well. They are very close.

Pro athletes by their nature are egotistical and selfish. They have to be to make it to the top, that's not a criticism, just a fact, it's how they survive in pro sports. You have to have complete and utter confidence in yourself. So when successful, you're very slow to credit anyone else for your success, you're hardwired to believe that you're responsible and you alone.

So I will posit a theory there that Tom is getting more bitter the longer he's been away from the team as he may well think the way it is now with the Bucs and Arians is the way it always should have been with Bill. He's getting the praise and the love and he's thinking why couldn't it have been like that with Bill? He likely believes it didn't have to be that way with Bill. He didn't have to be so tough, so harsh etc. He won't or can't accept that it was Bill's way that helped make him the player he was and set the teams up that helped him get that success.

It's a sad situation if that's the case and I hope it isn't that way, I really do because I'd love Tom to come back and retire as a Patriot. He is a legend in New England and the best that ever was.

Maybe, as suggested above, when he leaves the game and has time to think, he'll come to different conclusions. I always think of Ronnie Lott when he talked about Bill Walsh. He said they never loved Bill, there were times they hated him but they knew, every week he would put them in the best possible position to win games. From the practice, the roster put together the film research and the coaching on the pitch.

Last edited:
Emotions are tricky things and not logical. Time and distance can help, though. As mentioned here, once Tom is through playing (?) 😁 he may be more reflective.

Pretty straightforward question: When Tom Brady makes the decision to retire from the NFL, will he formally rejoin the Patriots as part of the retirement process?

2-3+ years ago, I would've thought such a question is absurd, but in light of recent events, I wouldn't be shocked to see Brady make the decision to retire as a Buccaneer (or whichever team he's on at that point).

For a little context on what spurred this specific question: According to Curran's recent article, Tom Brady Sr. has donated/given-away nearly all of his Patriots' memorabilia; that, along with Sr's generally vindictive tone re: the Patriots, which I think is a least a partial proxy for Jr's thoughts ... I began to wonder if the younger Brady might not ultimately retire a Patriot.

I wonder if he made a gentleman's agreement with Kraft after he left for Tampa Bay, and if that commitment may result in him rejoining the Patriots before formally retiring. At any rate, I hope the situation cools-off and that Brady remains close with the Patriots organization and Belichick following his retirement. We shall see.

Edit - here's the link: 'Damn Right': Tom Brady's Father Says QB Feels Vindicated By Post-Patriots Success

--

"the team embraced Tommy for a while"

As an aside, it stings to see all these barbs being thrown. Obviously I still wish Brady was a Patriot, but to see the bitter, vindictive tone over a year removed from the situation, is ... really unfortunate. Wish Belichick had made more of an effort to keep Brady, and wish Brady and co. were more considerate and mindful of what the Patriots did for him, and how Brady's experience in New England enabled him to find success in Tampa Bay.
I don't understand your question. Football players do not go into the HoF associated with a team like baseball.

In terms of Brady's associating with the Pats after retirement, from all indications his relationship with Kraft is in tact and that is all that matters as eventually Bill is going to move on or retire. Brady will be inducted in the Pats HoF. I don't see him giving the cold shoulder to the Pats or the Boston area. In other words, I don't think he ends up like Peyton loving in Colorado and only associating with the Broncos. That being said, I would imagine he will live in Florida or some other warm weather area.

BTW, Gronk just donated money this year to build a playground in Boston and I would imagine he feels worse about the Pats than Brady.

I don't understand your question. Football players do not go into the HoF associated with a team like baseball.

In terms of Brady's associating with the Pats after retirement, from all indications his relationship with Kraft is in tact and that is all that matters as eventually Bill is going to move on or retire. Brady will be inducted in the Pats HoF. I don't see him giving the cold shoulder to the Pats or the Boston area. In other words, I don't think he ends up like Peyton loving in Colorado and only associating with the Broncos. That being said, I would imagine he will live in Florida or some other warm weather area.

BTW, Gronk just donated money this year to build a playground in Boston and I would imagine he feels worse about the Pats than Brady.

Obtuse? They often sign a one day contract to file their retirement papers from the team they most Identify with. Pretty clear preference statement.

Obtuse? They often sign a one day contract to file their retirement papers from the team they most Identify with. Pretty clear preference statement.
Sure. That is retirement though not the HoF which is what I thought the poster was asking but upon reading it again, I did misread it. And does anyone really care if Brady signs a one day contract with the Pats? LOL I mean I actually really wanted him to retire a Patriot. That is kind of the whole point. Seeing him in another uniform stinks.

Last edited:
Sure. That is retirement though not the HoF which is what I thought the poster was asking but upon reading it again, I did misread it. And does anyone really care if Brady signs a one day contract with the Pats? LOL
Pretty straightforward question: "When Tom Brady makes the decision to retire from the NFL, will he formally rejoin the Patriots as part of the retirement process?"

So you read the above and thought Vertigho was talking about the HOF? 1632325317400.png
There are all kinds of remedial reading courses out there, fom free to stoopid expensive. Can't say I'm optimistic, but maybe there's something that might help you some. So it makes sense that your exit strategy from your own ignorance is to laugh out loud at the actual Q. Or simply put, you are saying I thought hall of fame cause I thought you were smart and just assumed you were too smart to ask such a stoopid question and boy are you stoopid to care if Tom files his tetirement papers as a Patriot.

I think it's obvious you deserve high grades for this level of obfuscation.

Cheers

Last edited:
Brady Sr. acting like a scorned teenager with an agenda is burning bridges that took 20 years to build.

E_4jcslVgAAYTK5
This is kind of silly. Vindicated from what exactly? He did leave as a FA. LOL.

The only thing I will say and this is really the most important in terms of Brady's personal legacy. That win in Tampa did more for his personal legacy than any other win. Never has a great player in any team sport had so much of his success credited to his coach as Tom has. By winning in Tampa with Arians who is a bit of a clown and beating Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes was pretty much the cherry on top for Tom to separate himself from Bill and the Patriot Way. So I don't see that so much as vindication as validation of Tom's greatness. But "validation" just does not have the same bang I suppose. LOL

Pretty straightforward question: "When Tom Brady makes the decision to retire from the NFL, will he formally rejoin the Patriots as part of the retirement process?"

So you read the above and thought Vertigho was talking about the HOF? View attachment 6701
There are all kinds of remedial reading courses out there, fom free to stoopid expensive. Can't say I'm optimistic, but maybe there's something that might help you some. So it makes sense that your exit strategy from your own ignorance is to laugh out loud at the actual Q. Or simply put, you are saying I thought hall of fame cause I thought you were smart and just assumed you were too smart to ask such a stoopid question and boy are you stoopid to care if Tom files his tetirement papers as a Patriot.

I think it's obvious you deserve high grades for this level of obfuscation.

Cheers
Good heavens. I said I misread it. Why so condescending and resorting to name calling? I assume you were above that sort of thing? I misread it because I have never seen someone ask if Brady will sign a one day deal to retire a Patriot. Like who cares? The whole point of him leaving and what is upsetting is that he did not get to retire a Patriot. None of us wanted to see him in another uniform. He just won a SB in Tampa and has a chance to repeat. Why on earth would he sign a one day contract with us at the end of his career when he wanted an actual extension to actually finish his career a Patriot?

YES you did. You said you misread. But wondering, given what there was to read, just how tf did you manage that? :rofl:
I just said. I assumed it was about the HoF because I have never seen anyone care if a player signs a one day contract. As I said, Brady wanted to end his career as a Patriot and finish here but that didn't happen. Given he just won a SB in Tampa and has a chance at repeating, I don't know why he would sign a one day deal to retire a Patriot. I mean things didn't end well here.

Back