Will Tom Brady Retire as a Patriot?

Pretty straightforward question: When Tom Brady makes the decision to retire from the NFL, will he formally rejoin the Patriots as part of the retirement process?

2-3+ years ago, I would've thought such a question is absurd, but in light of recent events, I wouldn't be shocked to see Brady make the decision to retire as a Buccaneer (or whichever team he's on at that point).

For a little context on what spurred this specific question: According to Curran's recent article, Tom Brady Sr. has donated/given-away nearly all of his Patriots' memorabilia; that, along with Sr's generally vindictive tone re: the Patriots, which I think is a least a partial proxy for Jr's thoughts ... I began to wonder if the younger Brady might not ultimately retire a Patriot.

I wonder if he made a gentleman's agreement with Kraft after he left for Tampa Bay, and if that commitment may result in him rejoining the Patriots before formally retiring. At any rate, I hope the situation cools-off and that Brady remains close with the Patriots organization and Belichick following his retirement. We shall see.

Edit - here's the link: 'Damn Right': Tom Brady's Father Says QB Feels Vindicated By Post-Patriots Success

--

"the team embraced Tommy for a while"

As an aside, it stings to see all these barbs being thrown. Obviously I still wish Brady was a Patriot, but to see the bitter, vindictive tone over a year removed from the situation, is ... really unfortunate. Wish Belichick had made more of an effort to keep Brady, and wish Brady and co. were more considerate and mindful of what the Patriots did for him, and how Brady's experience in New England enabled him to find success in Tampa Bay.
Eh...whateva. :shrug-n:

Who knows, would TB want to retire as a Patriot today, probably not. A fair bit of snark has been coming from him and his Dad. TB could easily retire as a Buc to stick a knife in Pat's connection. I think he retires as a Buc because there's not enough time for his wounds to heal.

Was thinking today that Brady will never get the love that the Manning brothers have received post retirement. Peyton is adored in two cities, Eli is the hero of NY having been the dragon slayer, twice. Brady knows that not every New England fan appreciates him leaving.

As for BB wanting him gone, the "official" word from Focboro was that the Pat's were surprised he left. Brady was unhappy all of 2019 and had poor comportment. Brady chose to leave. There was no injury excuse. I can see BB wanting to restart the QB position because BB saw the end of his own tenure so he could leave the team in good shape when he stepped down. BB made similar statements durring HOF week in rewards to Bill Cowher and Jimmy Johnson.

Who knows, would TB want to retire as a Patriot today, probably not. A fair bit of snark has been coming from him and his Dad. TB could easily retire as a Buc to stick a knife in Pat's connection. I think he retires as a Buc because there's not enough time for his wounds to heal.

Was thinking today that Brady will never get the love that the Manning brothers have received post retirement. Peyton is adored in two cities, Eli is the hero of NY having been the dragon slayer, twice. Brady knows that not every New England fan appreciates him leaving.

As for BB wanting him gone, the "official" word from Focboro was that the Pat's were surprised he left. Brady was unhappy all of 2019 and had poor comportment. Brady chose to leave. There was no injury excuse. I can see BB wanting to restart the QB position because BB saw the end of his own tenure so he could leave the team in good shape when he stepped down. BB made similar statements durring HOF week in rewards to Bill Cowher and Jimmy Johnson.
Peyton never talks about the Colts. Refers to the Broncos as "we." He lives in Colorado. The Colts are basically dead to him given how Irsay treated him on the way out and fired Polian too.

It is sad but it happens. Teams make business decisions that involve people on a personal level.

It's hard to say what will happen with Brady. I don't get the sense at all that Pats fans are mad at him for leaving. They know he had a better op in Tampa as we rebuild. I do think in time he is back here in some capacity because his relationship with Kraft is in tact and that is key. Whatever went down when he left, it's clear he blames none of it on Kraft so that bodes well for him returning in some capacity after he retires.

We're enlightened by a snake oil salesman

This is interesting. It looks like Brady's team is making the rounds a week prior to next week to get his side of things out. I wonder if this is to preempt things that are said in the Wickersham book or if they just wanted to get out in front of the Patriots knowing Bill will not want to discuss the Tampa game until next week.

Alex provides some bombs in this - Brady had the MCL going back to week 10 of 2018. That means he won 2 SBs on it.

Second, he is spot on with Bill's inability to evolve. He just couldn't treat Brady like the player he had become in his 30s and 40s. I am also glad he called out Bill for treating Cam differently. We all saw that too.

I am also glad he distanced himself and Brady from his father's comments. I do think this interview is much more how Brady feels as he spends every day with Alex and credits him the most for his sustained longevity playing at a championship level.

We're enlightened by a snake oil salesman

Stunned that the guy selling literal concussion water wasn't thought if as a guru by the coaching staff. Tried to get Brady to pimp that stuff for a hot minute too.

Pretty straightforward question: When Tom Brady makes the decision to retire from the NFL, will he formally rejoin the Patriots as part of the retirement process?

2-3+ years ago, I would've thought such a question is absurd, but in light of recent events, I wouldn't be shocked to see Brady make the decision to retire as a Buccaneer (or whichever team he's on at that point).

For a little context on what spurred this specific question: According to Curran's recent article, Tom Brady Sr. has donated/given-away nearly all of his Patriots' memorabilia; that, along with Sr's generally vindictive tone re: the Patriots, which I think is a least a partial proxy for Jr's thoughts ... I began to wonder if the younger Brady might not ultimately retire a Patriot.

I wonder if he made a gentleman's agreement with Kraft after he left for Tampa Bay, and if that commitment may result in him rejoining the Patriots before formally retiring. At any rate, I hope the situation cools-off and that Brady remains close with the Patriots organization and Belichick following his retirement. We shall see.

Edit - here's the link: 'Damn Right': Tom Brady's Father Says QB Feels Vindicated By Post-Patriots Success

--

"the team embraced Tommy for a while"

As an aside, it stings to see all these barbs being thrown. Obviously I still wish Brady was a Patriot, but to see the bitter, vindictive tone over a year removed from the situation, is ... really unfortunate. Wish Belichick had made more of an effort to keep Brady, and wish Brady and co. were more considerate and mindful of what the Patriots did for him, and how Brady's experience in New England enabled him to find success in Tampa Bay.
I mean, he'll sign a one-day contract and be inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame on the same day.
Other than that, does it really matter?

I appreciate """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Doctor""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" Concussion Water's opinion, really I do. But perhaps he's projecting his own experiences here.

My take was TB wanted to be treated different than the rest of the players and BB doesn't play that.

We can argue for 100 years about whether Brady "deserved' special treatment, but that's what I think happened.

20 years with the same boss doing the same thing, I can see how it could get old, but the long-standing philosophy is "no one is bigger than the team" right or wrong.

His best friend and business partner said it.
True. He didn't want to have to get work done by his trainer from the luxury box. Lol

Honestly, the whole thing is like a long term relationship that went sour on multiple levels.

It just looks bad for Bill in hindsight because Brady won the SB and is lighting things up this season.

It just looks bad for Bill in hindsight because Brady won the SB and is lighting things up this season.
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Back