Willie Mcginest A Football Life

patsRmyboys

Fun in the Florida sun
Reaction score
Damn, I forgot what a fucking bad ass he was. His tackling in the open field was crazy good. Is there anyone as good as he was playing now?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I hear that. Maybe it's a statement about how much football has changed since Willie played, but he was simply crushing QBs. Just blasting into them.

I haven't seen the entire thing yet, but I loved the story about how Willie tried to impart some knowledge on Ferric Collons, who was a pretty good (and really big) two-way end we got from Green Bay for a draft choice (going on memory here) and Collons, instead of taking the advice, threw a punch at him.

I forget the exact quote, but Willie simply said something like "then he had to deal with the consequences of that", which made me wonder what kind of damage a pissed-off Willie Mac could inflict in a fight. There was a reason why people respected that man and one of which was that he could whip any guy in the room. And a lot of other rooms.

I believe Collons got cut, somewhat mysteriously, just after that incident and it never made sense to me then. We were hurting for DEs at the time and the guy was a pretty good player, but.....I think he wore out his welcome.

I love inside shit like that.

BB & Brady already quoted no one messed with Willie Mac .

Willie is probably my 2nd fav player of the recent era. He was the locker room sheriff, played with attitude & was/still is a gentleman off the field. Willie had as much to do with our early 2000's success as anyone; he was the soul of that D we wish we had today. He's a credit to the Patriots and to the NFL. I enjoyed every minute of his episode of "A Football Life".
As BB pointed out in the show, McGinest epitomized everything the Patriots stood for: “high performance, high character, mental and physical toughness, consistency, teamwork, dependability. He transcended every aspect of the team and coaches.”

edit: I loved the story how Jerry Jones wanted to move up to take Willie with the 5th pick - Willie thinking he'd be a Cowboy - only to have the Pats grab him with the 4th pick - and it actually showed Jerrah's extreme disappointment in the Cowboys' draft room.

A total legend. And he still looks like he could play no doubt.

He is the living symbol of the Patriots.

Great scene of him on the sidelines telling a teammate to shit up and listen when McGinest and the coach were trying to tell him what he did wrong on a previous play. "Stop making excuses, make a play".

And he must have really gone off on the team after that 7-6 Steeler loss in the playoffs. Some of them were laughing in the lockerroom and that must have been a red rag to a bull.

I'm watching it on NFL Gamepass, that Sling commercial is f**king hilarious with Nick Offerman ROFL

I have that saved and going to watch as soon as I get some time. Love Willie Mac.

I forget the exact quote, but Willie simply said something like "then he had to deal with the consequences of that"

That was great, he said " he took a swing at me and then he had to deal with the repercussions" I watched that part like 10 times. He was definitely a bad man. Not buying into poodle Pete and his ra ra ra bullshit either.

6 foot 5, 270lbs, brought up in gang infested Long Beach....yeah, that confrontation would have been over very quickly.

I was at his induction to the Patriot HOF on the Gillette plaza and Bob Kraft had some nice words for McGinest. He said: "Right after we drafted Willie, I saw him in the locker room with no shirt on and I thought that he looked like a Greek God".

And a woman in the crowd yells out "HE STILL DOES!!!!!"

Everybody cracked up, including Willie.

I was at his induction to the Patriot HOF on the Gillette plaza and Bob Kraft had some nice words for McGinest. He said: "Right after we drafted Willie, I saw him in the locker room with no shirt on and I thought that he looked like a Greek God".

Love the way he looked after TFB as well.

No question that Willie was and is excellent :jerkit: material for the ladies.

Back