Women and Men - Equally Creative?

A group of my friends went through a phase a while back where we would get together, drink and play board games.

There is one game we tried called Taboo. The idea is to get your team to guess a secret word, but you are given a list
of words that you can't use.

We split up into men vs. women with 4 per team. And we got killed. Every. Single. tiiiiiime.

It drove me nuts, because I'm pretty competitive. I didn't mind losing once in a while, but these were total wipeouts.

For example, let's say the word was "breakfast" and the list of taboo words included, meal, morning, eating, pancakes, eggs, bacon etc. etc.

The male clue-giver would sit there unable to come up with anything while the timer clicked away and finally ran out.

If that same clue was given to the women, the cluegiver would say "oh......it's that thing you do......you know" and the whole team would instantly say "BREAKFAST?

I learned something from those sessions. Women tend to have a superior verbal ability and a mysterious ability to virtually read each other's minds.

A group of my friends went through a phase a while back where we would get together, drink and play board games.

There is one game we tried called Taboo. The idea is to get your team to guess a secret word, but you are given a list

We split up into men vs. women with 4 per team. And we got killed. Every. Single. tiiiiiime.

It drove me nuts, because I'm pretty competitive. I didn't mind losing once in a while, but these were total wipeouts.

For example, let's say the word was "breakfast" and the list of taboo words included, meal, morning, eating, pancakes, eggs, bacon etc. etc.

The male clue-giver would sit there unable to come up with anything while the timer clicked away and finally ran out.

If that same clue was given to the women, the cluegiver would say "oh......it's that thing you do......you know" and the whole team would instantly say "BREAKFAST?

I learned something from those sessions. Women tend to have a superior verbal ability and a mysterious ability to virtually read each other's minds.
It's a gift. 🙂

Excellent post, Hawg, and this gets right to what the thread is about.

What exactly is creativity? It's probably more than just one thing, but a part of it is to rearrange concepts into new and useful/entertaining ideas and then communicating those ideas to the wider world.

Muse and I had an offline discussion about synthesis - combining a bunch of previously existing ideas into something new. The example I used with Muse was Tim Berners-Lee and his creation of the world-wide web. Synthesis is one aspect of creativity, and a very important one.

I think some kind of synthesis is going on in Taboo - combining some existing words, leaving out others, and then using the result to give a clue to someone else.

It's not high creativity that results in something new in the world, but it is an example of that faculty.

Excellent post, Hawg, and this gets right to what the thread is about.

What exactly is creativity? It's probably more than just one thing, but a part of it is to rearrange concepts into new and useful/entertaining ideas and then communicating those ideas to the wider world.

Muse and I had an offline discussion about synthesis - combining a bunch of previously existing ideas into something new. The example I used with Muse was Tim Berners-Lee and his creation of the world-wide web. Synthesis is one aspect of creativity, and a very important one.

I think some kind of synthesis is going on in Taboo - combining some existing words, leaving out others, and then using the result to give a clue to someone else.

It's not high creativity that results in something new in the world, but it is an example of that faculty.

Thanks. To take it in a slightly different, but hopefully related, direction there was a fascinating book I read, Sapiens -- a brief history of humankind by Yuval Harari that got into something that has stuck with me ever since. He wrote about how human language was hugely influenced by, of all things, gossip. That layers of complexity and verbal nuance were developed to allow, say, the lower classes, to figure out what the nobles were up to because much of what we say isn't really directly important for survival or whatever. Not necessary. That's the Cliff Notes version going by memory, but he made a very convincing argument and struck me as one very smart dude.

This is not to say that I think women are gossipy fluff brains in any way, but rather that Females, as traditional "inferiors" over much of human history have used their ability to communicate
as a sort of "Coconut Telegraph" to support each other, spread knowledge to their peers and use it in beneficial ways and some vestiges of that long tradition probably still exist in the present.

Men (arguably) traditionally tended to use physical violence or the potential threat thereof to gain and maintain power and women tended to use information to get what they could because nature made them different and they had to find a different way to survive/thrive.

So, perhaps that, depending on how much stock you put in Harari's theory, is an example of female creativity and also might be why they completely dominate at Taboo. ;)

What about the bright shining stars?
What about the trannies?
What about the cyborgs?
What about the other 70 or so other types?

Who is better at making sammiches? I'm pretty amazing at the creativity of them. Yet, women tend to get all of the credit though...

There have been only a handful of female musicians that I've liked over the course of my life, it's something I personally prefer men to do. Chick bands always came off as somewhat cheesy to me
Depends...Drain STH was very good. L7 wasn't bad. Bangles. Jack Off Jill. If you're talking about all female's in a band.

Last edited:

I used to kick ass at Taboo back in the day.

Women always wanted me on their team.

What heck does that speak to? :sulk:

Lol.

Actually I kinda do. I have a pretty well integrated anima and animus.

Depends...Drain STH was very good. L7 wasn't bad. Bangles. Jack Off Jill. If you're talking about all female's in a band.

Drain was awesome.

Saw them 10 times when they were opening at clubs for Type O Negative on tour around New England.

Met them at the bar of one the clubs on their 2nd day in the US, first show.

Struck up a conversation with the bassit Anna and have good been friends with her, the lead singer Maria and drummer and singer Martina Axen ever since the late late 90s.

Had dinner with them and Peter Steele a number of times before shows and hung out after.

The lead singer Maria met Tony Iommi on Ozzfest and they're married happily to this day. I get great info and stories about Tony.

And Martina Axen to this day is THE one that got away cuz I didn't step up.

One thing I do know is that women are great at creatively creating problems and then telling men they have the solution to them.

There was a book that was popular a few decades back called "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" which I never read and I once heard the author, who
struck me as an odd dude, talking about his theories on some talk show.

One of those was that when a woman presents a man with a problem, the guy just tries to fix whatever it is to solve and eliminate
the issue, figuring that is what he is supposed to do, but women often just want him to ask how they are feeling about the situation and show he
cares about those feelings and then later on he can figure out how to be a hero.

I was skeptical and thought "bullshit!" at first, but over time the more I thought about it and observed the more I believed he was right. That taught me something important
that I had been completely unaware of. I do know that saying "how does that make you feel?" is never the wrong thing to ask a female. Women need to express their
feelings a ton more than guys and learning to listen to her answer with interest is a smart way to handle things. At least in my snowglobe it has been.

There was a book that was popular a few decades back called "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" which I never read and I once heard the author, who

One of those was that when a woman presents a man with a problem, the guy just tries to fix whatever it is to solve and eliminate
the issue, figuring that is what he is supposed to do, but women often just want him to ask how they are feeling about the situation and show he
cares about those feelings and then later on he can figure out how to be a hero.

I was skeptical and thought "bullshit!" at first, but over time the more I thought about it and observed the more I believed he was right. That taught me something important
that I had been completely unaware of. I do know that saying "how does that make you feel?" is never the wrong thing to ask a female. Women need to express their
feelings a ton more than guys and learning to listen to her answer with interest is a smart way to handle things. At least in my snowglobe it has been.

I read it and I may have seen the same interview.

A lifetime of experience and much frustration immediately coming up solutions has taught me that is the truth, almost always. There are a few women who are outliers, but not many.

View: https://youtu.be/-4EDhdAHrOg

?

This is illustrated pretty humorously in the movie White Men Can't Jump.

View: https://youtu.be/JKc334KBxzY

Most of my life I've been surrounded by women, kinda cuz of the unified anima/animus thing in me I referenced previously.

This is spot on in hilarious fashion.

One of my best friends for over 30 years is a beautiful, intelligent, spirt of singular complexity. I talk to her everyday, and we hang out often.

A lot of women I've known over the years, no matter how hard they try not to be transparent, are to me in this issue of the nail, and more.

This beautiful, brilliant, singularly complex fully free spirit, a free spirit who is very much as I am, and is the only one who sees me fully, and loves me for all of it, confounds me by her motivations.

She does have a similar motivation to protecting the nail, and very much does hurt herself by rejecting the fact that the nail exists.

Self protection I understand, but the what is behind the motivation to denying the nail exist is what confounds me.

My dearest of friends in India, who is friends with her too, through me, says to me, "Women are not to be understood, they are to be loved".

I tend to internally bristle at that. Love is not without reason, and neither are women by some deterministic nature.

Mysterious? Fine, I love that, but I'm finding it hard to believe that women by nature are irrational beings.

I love this women, as she says in all the right ways.

And I love a challenge, especially a challenge as I seek to understand.

Back