Women and Men - Equally Creative?

This is illustrated pretty humorously in the movie White Men Can't Jump.

View: https://youtu.be/JKc334KBxzY

If there is a God and the Garden of Eden apple thing is true, this scene right here brilliantly illustrates the hell God reigned down on humanity for the epic level sin of gaining knowledge of good and evil.

😂

This is a true and recurring story.

"JL, you are everything a woman could want, why are other men such half ass shits? Why are you single? That makes no sense."

JL:

"Wanna go out?"

Full stop. 🛑

"No, that would ruin everything, you're the best friend ever, I don't want to ruin that".

Then they run off with some half ass shit they were just bitching about and always come back to me to bitch about how much of a shit he is and wish he was more like me.

😂

This thread has taken a wonderfully interesting turn.

If there is a God and the Garden of Eden apple thing is true, this scene right here brilliantly illustrates the hell God reigned down on humanity for the epic level sin of gaining knowledge of good and evil.

😂
Please do not inject any more religion-based posts into the thread. I do not want it to be moved to the P&R forum.

Please do not inject any more religion-based posts into the thread. I do not want it to be moved to the P&R forum.

Seriously bro?

It was a joke.

I know it's a crappy middle of the holiday week Wednesday, but it was a joke.

Lighten up Francis.

:)

Depends...Drain STH was very good. L7 wasn't bad. Bangles. Jack Off Jill. If you're talking about all female's in a band.

Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads was an excellent bassist and I thought Chrissie Hynde from The Pretenders was as powerful a songwriter/vocalist fronting a band as most any guy.

I agree with nearly all of the points that have been made in this thread, except that it's really hard to tease out what part of someone's personality is genetics and what part is upbringing/societal expectations. When I majored in Psych. in college in the 80's (and listened to Talking Heads & The Pretenders (saw them in a great show at the Orpheum)), they told us that the big debate in the field was between people who believed in personalities being based in "nature" vs. those who thought they were based in "nurture". I think the thinking since then has leaned more toward nature, but that's partially because it's easier to just prescribe someone a pill and it's more profitable.

Everyone knows the emotional/nurturing vs. problem solving dynamic between men and women and a big part of that has to be biology. But, in terms of creativity and careers, as other people said, there's a lot of factors that influence people and society's expectations of women and men play a big part. I bet if you look at the biographies of Madame Curie and some of the women that broke the mold, you'd see things in their background that helped steer them that way, that it wasn't just genetics.

There's a lot more male nurses now than there used to be, and more female lawyers and doctors and Hollywood screenwriters.

Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads was an excellent bassist and I thought Chrissie Hynde from The Pretenders was as powerful a songwriter/vocalist fronting a band as most any guy.

Tina Weymouth was ranked 29th in a RollingStone poll on the top 50 bassists.

“Had there been no Tina Weymouth in Talking Heads,” said the band's drummer and Weymouth's husband of the past 40 years, Chris Frantz, “we would be just another band.”

The Talking Heads are arguably the most creative band of the 80s, and Tina Weymouth was a huge part of that as a songwriter and performer.

I just did a search on the number of Talking Heads songs I've posted in the Nostalgic Music thread - it's four. I'm a little disappointed in myself, I thought it would be more.

Edit: I'm up to five songs now. :banana:

Last edited:
(joke referencing another thread)
I just went through that RollingStone list, and it's missing a couple of notable bass players (naturally all such lists are opinions, and to make room for my omissions means someone else's favorites would be tossed out).

Among the men, Jerry Scheff - long-time bass player for Elvis Presley. Click here for an example of how influential Jerry was.

And among the women, Tal Wilkenfeld. I just posted a clip of her playing alongside Jeff Beck in the Nostalgic Music Thread.

Last edited:
Continuing on with the discussion of bass players, here's a short interview with Herbie Flowers that illustrates how performers can bring creativity into their profession.

Back