Worst Coach to win a Super Bowl?

WisColtFan7

Oh, you didn't know?
Reaction score
I've been rattling this around in my head all week, basically because I think Mike McCarthy could be one of the worst Head Coaches to win a Super Bowl, but who are some of the worst in your opinion? I won't be adding a poll to this because I have a sneaking suspicion of where the results might end up (rhyming with Stony Mungy)

Here's my personal top 5:

1) Barry Switzer
2) Mike Ditka
3) Bill Cowher (all that talent and just 1 win?)
4) Brian Billick (see Cowher)
5) George Seifert (road coattails of Walsh, Montana, Young)

Dungy and Holmgren are definitely right there as well, but they at least in my book aren't quite as bad as the top 5. What say you PP?

Switzer without a doubt. Nobody else is close.

I could give you Dung-heep on that list (one appearance and Gruden winning in Tampa with a team that he built)...but Holmgren won 3 conference championships...not going there. If anything, brettfavre sank him a bunch of times. If he'd had a real QB I'm convinced he would have won more.

...I think Gruden belongs on this list as well. WWWAAAYYY overrated as a coach.

Just curious, what makes McCarthy a bad coach in your view? He actually coached a hell of a game against the Patriots right up until the last 45 seconds of the game or so. The onside kick was a nice call and the Packers' game plan clearly stymied the Patriots' offense pretty well. They also almost beat us with their backup QB.

:shrug:

I'd have to say Switzer though. With that Cowboys team pretty much any coach out there would have had success.

I'll go with John Gruden.

What's wrong with McCarthy?

I'll go with John Gruden.

What's wrong with McCarthy?

Having seen enough Packer games, there seems to be at least 2-3 WTF moments in every game that make you wonder how the hell he was promoted.

Also, I completely forgot about one coach that was gone 2 years after winning a SB, which rockets him up the depth chart all the way to #2. So here is now the revised list:

1) Switzer
2) Don McCaffrey (won SB V with Baltimore)
3) Ditka
4) Cowher
5) Billick

after this season, I'd consider putting Mike Shanahan on this list.

after this season, I'd consider putting Mike Shanahan on this list.

if you're going to say this then you nothing about the mess he's trying to clean up with the 'Skins. Oldest team in the league with a patchwork offensive line, no real play makers on either side of the ball (outside of Orakpo on D), no speed on either side of the ball, an old, washed up QB. Give him a couple years to try to straighten it out here before you put him on that list. Anybody can get lucky and win one. He won back-to-back.

if you're going to say this then you nothing about the mess he's trying to clean up with the 'Skins. Oldest team in the league with a patchwork offensive line, no real play makers on either side of the ball (outside of Orakpo on D), no speed on either side of the ball, an old, washed up QB. Give him a couple years to try to straighten it out here before you put him on that list. Anybody can get lucky and win one. He won back-to-back.

But what if you factor in the Jake Plummer years in Denver with this past year as well?

Having seen enough Packer games, there seems to be at least 2-3 WTF moments in every game that make you wonder how the hell he was promoted.

Also, I completely forgot about one coach that was gone 2 years after winning a SB, which rockets him up the depth chart all the way to #2. So here is now the revised list:

1) Switzer
2) Don McCaffrey (won SB V with Baltimore)
3) Ditka
4) Cowher
5) Billick
I only watch a few Packer games a year, but I see his positives outweighing his negatives. He won COY I think his 1st or 2nd year too.
edit: nope, runner up for COY in 2007, behind BB

Cowher was a good coach. I don't think he's one of the worst on grounds that he only won one. People were wondering when he'd finally win...like Marty Shottenheimer cept Marty never did.

That was on the back of Elway and Terrell Davis. He has done absolutely nothing since those SBs. 1 playoff win - the Champ Bailey game. That's all.

And I have no idea wtf he was doing playing rex grossman this season.

It's not just the play on the field, but the bizarreness that took place off the field.

Like benching McNabb because Rex Grossman knows the 2 min offense better?

The way the Albert Haynesworth mess was handled?

I am not willing to put Shanny on the list just yet, even after this season. I considered Holmgren, because if Desmond Howard doesn't show up that day, Favre would still be chasing a ring. Cowher to me was a very good motivator, but as an X and O guy, well, he better thank his lucky stars he got Dick LeBeau. One more name for your consideration: Dick Vermeil. Nice guy, universally loved, fantastic analyst, but if you look at his entire body of work in the NFL? Meh, not so much.

In my lifetime, hands-down it's Switzer.

But I'll throw another name out there to perpetuate the discussion: Dick Vermeil.

ROFL

Mm hmm, right. Are they going to give him bionic limbs and let him play on your O-Line? Cuz that's the only way that's happening for you all next year.

The winner for this one has to be Switzer tho, for real.

Switzer is the winner...by a landslide.

He took Jimmy Johnson's team and ran with it while Jerry Jones stole the limelight. Jones' patsy.

Switzer won a few years after Jimmy Johnson. 33 different players.
Not saying Switzer shouldn't be on the list, but I don't think much of Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys. Like the Yankees with their payroll.

Back