Worst Coaching Decision - Pete Carroll or Dan Quinn?

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
I have been reading some articles and fan boards lately that have debated who coached a worse Super Bowl - Pete Carroll in 2014 or Dan Quinn last year. I think this is actually a hard decision. My guy instinct is to say Carroll because of his call at the one yard line to throw a slant pass to his third best receiver. But Quinn only called 4 running plays the entire second half despite being up 25.

I think I would have to go with Quinn for overall coaching during the course of the entire game and Petey for the worst single play call I have ever seen with a chip on the line.

Quinn.

I still do not think that Carroll's call was the incorrect one. Easy to second guess in hindsight, but the players make the plays.

Quinn without a doubt. Carrol's call had worked 100% of the time that year. The Patriots were not able to defend it once in practice. Lynch was already stopped at the goal line there and historically wasn't good on the goal line. Quinn had the game won and pissed down his leg.

Definitely Quinn, the 2nd half coaching was awful. There is no way a Pete Carol coached team would have lost up 28-3. Also throwing the ball on 2nd and goal is not unheard of. I actually think Pete gets more shit than he deserves for that. The Patriots threw on 1st and goal on the 2 in OT and could have had a pick themselves.

With Freeman and Coleman there is no excuse for not running the ball on every freaking play in the second half. Keep your D off the field even if they don't score, lots of clock gone and a rested D to battle Brady and Co.

Now if the Falcons had done that and lost, you would still hear griping.

Definitely Quinn, the 2nd half coaching was awful. There is no way a Pete Carol coached team would have lost up 28-3. Also throwing the ball on 2nd and goal is not unheard of. I actually think Pete gets more shit than he deserves for that. The Patriots threw on 1st and goal on the 2 in OT and could have had a pick themselves.

I do think it is important though to point out that Seahawks had never blown a 10 point lead in the fourth quarter with the LoB and Brady absolutely torched them that quarter to put the Pats ahead with two minutes to go. That being said, Quinn was the DC for the Hawks so ... lol.

Quinn.

I still maintain that the Seattle play call was correct. They had run that all season and Lynch was not very effective in short yardage situations.

Quinn.

I still do not think that Carroll's call was the incorrect one. Easy to second guess in hindsight, but the players make the plays.

Pats were in a jumbo package with 9 in the box. Beastmode's conversion rate on short yardage like that was less than 50% on the year. It was the right call. If Butler is as much as a half second later than he was to the ball it's a DPI and a 1st down. TOTALLY the right call.

Pats were in a jumbo package with 9 in the box. Beastmode's conversion rate on short yardage like that was less than 50% on the year. It was the right call. If Butler is as much as a half second later than he was to the ball it's a DPI and a 1st down. TOTALLY the right call.

Lynch was killing us though all game and almost scored from the six yard line if not for the Herculean effort from Hightower.

I have no issue with a pass there but why go with a play that is bang/bang with your third best receiver? I mean Browner recognized it as soon as the receivers lined up and told Butler what to do. IMO you have to blame coaching 100 percent there as the Pats were prepared and ready for the play. That is a major fail by Petey.

Lynch was killing us though all game and almost scored from the six yard line if not for the Herculean effort from Hightower.

I have no issue with a pass there but why go with a play that is bang/bang with your third best receiver? I mean Browner recognized it as soon as the receivers lined up and told Butler what to do. IMO you have to blame coaching 100 percent there as the Pats were prepared and ready for the play. That is a major fail by Petey.

true...but he didn't gakk a 25 point lead. Even a team with a shitty defense like Atlanta shouldn't blow that one.

And yet, Lynch was stopped on 3rd and 1 earlier in the game. I believe at the time, his season long conversion rate in short yardage situations was about 50%.
BTW, Seattle had no way to know the Pats were prepared for that play. And even still, it took a remarkable effort by both Browner and Butler to make the play.
Meanwhile, Atlanta had 3 chances to do no harm and had negative plays on each of them. Unlike Seattle, they were in game management mode and they failed miserably.

And yet, Lynch was stopped on 3rd and 1 earlier in the game. I believe at the time, his season long conversion rate in short yardage situations was about 50%.
BTW, Seattle had no way to know the Pats were prepared for that play. And even still, it took a remarkable effort by both Browner and Butler to make the play.
Meanwhile, Atlanta had 3 chances to do no harm and had negative plays on each of them. Unlike Seattle, they were in game management mode and they failed miserably.

That is fine. Don't run Lynch. But pick a better pass play. A slant to your third best receiver is a horrific call. And one that the Pats were ready for so that is on Petey.

I agree though. Atlanta was the worse coaching job all around.

That is fine. Don't run Lynch. But pick a better pass play. A slant to your third best receiver is a horrific call. And one that the Pats were ready for so that is on Petey.

I agree though. Atlanta was the worse coaching job all around.

But you have to consider the match ups.

Your third best receiver is facing our third best DB.

What is the relative drop in skill for the 3rd ranked player?

If you try to throw to someone else, you're facing Revis or Browner. How do those defenders match up against the other receivers?

Just to illustrate my point let's assume that each player is graded on a 0 to 1 scale, with 1 being the absolute best.

Assume that the three receivers for Seattle are 0.9, 0.8 and 0.7.

Now assume that the DB's for the Pats are 0.9, 0.8, and 0.5.

Which is the best match up?

if you divide the WR by the DB you get 1, 1 and 1.4.

The 1.4 match up is the best option.

Now I'm not suggesting that the players involved have the rankings they do, simply making up some numbers to illustrate the point.

Remember that before that play, Butler was essentially an unknown where as Revis and Butler has pedigree. So they would rank Revis and Browner much higher than Butler.

I can see a lot of coaches thinking they had the advantage in that match up.

Why this thread does not have a poll posing the question baffles me, but I am certain that if you had asked in a poll virtually everybody would say Quinn's coaching in the Super Bowl was worse than Pete Carroll's.

Pete's split-second decision to pass in that situation was defeated by excellent coaching and an amazing play by Butler. I don't think it was a bad call - if they had run Lynch and he had fumbled, whatever.

Quinn on the other hand...

But you have to consider the match ups.

Your third best receiver is facing our third best DB.

What is the relative drop in skill for the 3rd ranked player?

If you try to throw to someone else, you're facing Revis or Browner. How do those defenders match up against the other receivers?

Just to illustrate my point let's assume that each player is graded on a 0 to 1 scale, with 1 being the absolute best.

Assume that the three receivers for Seattle are 0.9, 0.8 and 0.7.

Now assume that the DB's for the Pats are 0.9, 0.8, and 0.5.

Which is the best match up?

if you divide the WR by the DB you get 1, 1 and 1.4.

The 1.4 match up is the best option.

Now I'm not suggesting that the players involved have the rankings they do, simply making up some numbers to illustrate the point.

Remember that before that play, Butler was essentially an unknown where as Revis and Butler has pedigree. So they would rank Revis and Browner much higher than Butler.

I can see a lot of coaches thinking they had the advantage in that match up.

Which is why a run with the best RB in the game from the 1 was the best call. :coffee:

Petey was behind and had to score a TD to win in the waning seconds. His play call was perfect for our defensive alignment. An int there was the furthest thing from his mind on that simple pitch and catch. Little did he know the Pats had practiced against it.

Atlanta was winning and had an opportunity to seal the victory with an easy FG for their kicker. All Atlanta had to do is what every high school coach knows - run the ball 3 straight times right up the middle and then kick the 32 yard FG to guarantee (almost) victory. Quinn/Shanahan had to make multiple mistakes to screw this up but the pass play on 2nd down was the most egregious. That play call required a 5 step drop. It was inexcusable and begged for the sack that made the FG a lot tougher. The 3rd down play was a similar crap call --> holding for 10 yards. 2 very bad calls in a row and the Patriots D made them pay. For me this is easy.
Quinn/Shanahan gets my vote and it's not close.

Back