Would The Pats Be Better Off Trading Brady And Keeping Cassel?

NFL FAN 73

Reaction score
Cassel is younger and he did play well last season. Brady is coming off a major knee injury and is 32. Your opinions?

Cassel is younger and he did play well last season. Brady is coming off a major knee injury and is 32. Your opinions?

That would be kind of like winning the Lottery prize of $1,000,000 and then trading your million dollar check for a new lottery ticket where the grand prize drawing (that hasn't been held yet) is $10,000.

Of course, the upside is that you've got a shot to win that $10,000.

I wouldn't ban or even criticize this guy for suggesting this. It's a legitimate question. There will be times next year when Brady gets sacked or doesn't make a play with his legs that we'll ALL say "Cassel would have made a play there."

That said, for reasons that have been discussed before, and primarily because Tom Brady is one of the greatest QBs who ever played in the NFL, it would be insane to get rid of a still young Tom Brady. So the answer is no, they should keep Tom.

But make no mistake, the Pats are taking risks, either way. One of the reasons why Tom is so great is "glidability" -- the ability to avoid sacks and move around the pocket and release the ball at the last possible moment with accuracy. With his knee injured and now "re-done," that ability might be less, and that might impact him adversely. It might, not it will. And that creates some risk that Tom wont be the guy he was.

AND MC showed that he has crazy upside. Right now, the only guys who I rank ahead or equal with him are Tom, Brees, Manning, Rivers and Big Ben. No one else.

And a trade of Tom would net more than a trade of Matt.

So I think it's a fair question. It's already been discussed at length. And the answer is no. But the question is fair.

I wouldn't ban or even criticize this guy for suggesting this. It's a legitimate question. There will be times next year when Brady gets sacked or doesn't make a play with his legs that we'll ALL say "Cassel would have made a play there."

So I think it's a fair question. It's already been discussed at length. And the answer is no. But the question is fair.
no do not ban him....yet

I think this guy is a posting time bomb waiting to unleash Patriot hate

as for the topic:

but would trading Tom bring in that much more? I mean IF you can get 2 - 1st round picks for Matt, how much more would Tom bring in? maybe a higher pick in the draft but BB seems to like the 15-20 pick.

it will never happen, well never say never, and only a fantasy for some other Owner hoping to land arguably one of the Greatest QB's ever.....it is a fun topic to play around with, kind of like asking how long I would last with a naked Selma Hayek awaiting for me....both these topics are over before they really start :blink:

Well, it probably is a fair question - if asked in Ernest. But I'm always suspicious of January joiners and 6 time posters whose question (even if in ernest) is annoying on its face.

Strange thing - the Usernamme, NFL FAN 73 apparently won't search because the name components are too frequently used. So I can't find his/her other 5 posts to help inform us if we've got another happy little troll or a mensch. So time will tell.

Cheers, BostonTim

Who's "we", paleface?

Well, it probably is a fair question - if asked in Ernest. But I'm always suspicious of January joiners and 6 time posters whose question (even if in ernest) is annoying on its face.

Strange thing - the Usernamme, NFL FAN 73 apparently won't search because the name components are too frequently used. So I can't find his/her other 5 posts to help inform us if we've got another happy little troll or a mensch. So time will tell.

Cheers, BostonTim
Click on his name and then on find other posts. Seems to be seriously negative towards the Patriots.

Its a no win situation
Its a win win situation
In BB We Trust

Listen, nobody's been as big a supporter of Cassel than me.

But I don't think he's gonna be droppin' 50 on the NFL anytime soon or winning multiple SB's.

Let's just enjoy our bevy of picks and agree to part ways now.

If Cassel is worth more than Brady, the Steelers should jump on it because Ben is just one concussion away from being Jim from Taxi.

I would trade Cassel for two firsts, two thirds, and one night with Jessica Alba (12 pack of Trojans and a Dental Dam included).

Click on his name and then on find other posts. Seems to be seriously negative towards the Patriots.
Thanks. So, Roethlisbugger is Better than Brady AND Manning. Stillers are the team of the Decade. The Pats cheated their way to three superbowls. And the Pats should trade Brady. And this pissy little troll won't declare himself. He just sniffs around asking "valid" questions, and hoping he can take out the stranger :jerkit: and get happy over the responses.

I don't really believe in Assclownig (once I know who the idiots are I can play wth them - or not- on my own terms). but this guy is a solid candidate for those who do. You can only wear pink leotards and pretend your toe-dancing for so long.

Cheers, BostonTim

That said, for reasons that have been discussed before, and primarily because Tom Brady is one of the greatest QBs who ever played in the NFL, it would be insane to get rid of a still young Tom Brady. So the answer is no, they should keep Tom.

But make no mistake, the Pats are taking risks, either way. One of the reasons why Tom is so great is "glidability" -- the ability to avoid sacks and move around the pocket and release the ball at the last possible moment with accuracy. With his knee injured and now "re-done," that ability might be less, and that might impact him adversely. It might, not it will. And that creates some risk that Tom wont be the guy he was.

AND MC showed that he has crazy upside. Right now, the only guys who I rank ahead or equal with him are Tom, Brees, Manning, Rivers and Big Ben. No one else.

Every question is fair, here is the issue. How many points would brady have got if he played this year that were not got because cassel was in? The same can be asked both ways, the difference is, brady is 14-3 in the playoffs has 3 superbowl rings and came off a mvp season. Now what that says is that brady has done it, he has proven he can do pretty much all there is to do. Cassel has not, cassel has proven that he is a pretty good Qb in the right circumstance that has become better than he was. Nobody knows what cassel will become, he looks great, he has done well, but thats all we know, we can guess, we can argue, but thats it. What we do know, is what brady is and the only question is his knee, which I feel a lot better about being hurt on brady than if it was cassel that was hurt, because brady has excelled and done all that without running around, without breaking down the field on runs. People can guess what would be better, but I am pretty sure the pats know which is the best way to go, so I will go with that.

Back