Wow, Ugliness in Detroit

bighit26 said:
It'll be surprising to see what happens when the Player's Union gets involved. We haven't heard the last of this and hopefully they knock Stern off his dictator's perch!

All I can say is I hope the league does not back off one bit. It's about time these guys realize 1)It's a privledge, not their right to be making that kind of money playing pro-sports, 2) they're expected to keep their cool no matter what, 3)they're supposed to be role-models.

I'm also hoping to hear some criminal charges on the part of some of the fans as well. They also have no right to pull stunts like that (even if they are from Detroit).

Players Assoc not surprisingly just announced that it will appeal the suspensions. Man I hope they get shot down. Like I said earlier, make these guys work as trash collectors or at McDonald's for a season to remind them how privledged they really are.

Bighit26, as for the bit about being a rapper vs record producer or whatnot, the point remains he, like many other players brought that rapper/gansta/homey mentality on to the court with them, and what we've seen is the result. This ain't street ball down in the projects. If they wanna play like that, they can take there respective arses back to the projects and play street ball. If they wanna make the money, then they need to play like the NBA is meant to be played.

As I don't keep up much with the NBA, I just did some poking around into Artest's history. Let's see suspended 7 times in 3 years, benched this year, grabbed a tv camera and threw it to the ground.

I was happy to see his suspension is without pay. But personally, I'd say he's had enough chances. I'd like to see an example made and ban him from the league. You've had enough chances to act like a professional, and you've continually screwed up. You are the weakest link...goodbye.

25 games for O'Neil is total Bull #^@*. All he did was punch a fan who was on the court, and try to go after someone who threw a CHAIR at him.

You are kidding right? He took a round house swing at the guy so hard that he actually fell down after he hit him.

The good news for Pacer fans is that at least now you can contend for a very high draft pick.

kirjtc2 said:
If you've ever been to Detroit, you'll figure it out pretty quickly. :)

JPK

I'm not looking to carry this part of the discussion any further, but most of the fans around the Pacers bench & the ones throwing the beer were white.

You are kidding right? He took a round house swing at the guy so hard that he actually fell down after he hit him.

You do realize he walked on the courts, toward the players correct?

kirjtc2 said:
Huh?

Detroit, as a city, is very dreary, industrial, and lower-class; a lot like Buffalo. Nothing racial was intended.

JPK

Sorry about that. Detroit's like 85% black, so my interpretation wasn't that far out of left field. With the level of politeness around here and the way people drive, I guess someone could make generalizations about us, but I couldn't envision that scene at a Celtics game, even if it was against Laimbeer and the bad boy Pistons.

I think it's great that those millionaire idiots got suspended.... should've been a ban instead of a suspension. The moronic fans should be thrown in the slammer too.

Matter of fact, it's a crying shame that the NHL is on strike/lockout and not the NBA. :thumb:

Mark_Henderson said:
Sorry about that. Detroit's like 85% black, so my interpretation wasn't that far out of left field.

Actually - here are the correct figures for Detroit, taken from CensusScope.

I can't vouch for their validity, but imagine they are pretty close.

The biggest travesty about this whole thing is that the Pacers will end up with a Lottery pick...just what the rest of the league needs.

Flagg Wanderer said:
The biggest travesty about this whole thing is that the Pacers will end up with a Lottery pick...just what the rest of the league needs.

My God!!!!! I hadn't even thought about that. :eek: The Pacers are going to lose, not because they suck, but because their best players are on the bench for a month or so. But these guys will still be around next year and now the Pacers get to add one of the best coming into the league next year. That is so wrong and so unfair. Just add the best to a team that's already one of the best. :banghead: And mean while the Bulls are 0-8 and just plain suck, and will continue to suck, and the best just get better. :crying:

BionicPatriot said:
You do realize he walked on the courts, toward the players correct?

That actually does bring up an interesting point. When the fan actually goes onto the playing surface, is he fair game to be hit by the players?

When Matt Chatham flattened the Super Bowl streaker, I don't remember any of us questioning whether or not Chatham should have hit the guy. I seriously doubt that Chatham was acting in self defense, and let's face it, he could have seriously injured him.

So, once the fan crosses the line and enters the playing surface, do the players have the right to beat the crap out of him? After that incident in Chicago a few years ago where the father-and-son skinhead team attacked the first base coach, I think they do.

dropKickMurphy said:
That actually does bring up an interesting point. When the fan actually goes onto the playing surface, is he fair game to be hit by the players?

When Matt Chatham flattened the Super Bowl streaker, I don't remember any of us questioning whether or not Chatham should have hit the guy. I seriously doubt that Chatham was acting in self defense, and let's face it, he could have seriously injured him.

So, once the fan crosses the line and enters the playing surface, do the players have the right to beat the crap out of him? After that incident in Chicago a few years ago where the father-and-son skinhead team attacked the first base coach, I think they do.

I've said that already in this thread. IMO, a fan who enters the field of play is fair game. In the case of the idiot in Detroit, he walked up to Artest and threatened him with a fighting posture. Artest was in his right to defend himself. I'm not sure the same applies to the sucker punch that was delivered by his teammate after the guy was already down.

As bad as the violent athlete/fan angles on this story have been, the legal angles might end up even worse.

The dude that walked onto the court was interviewed and asked what he was doing on the court and replied vaguely that his friend was already on the court (Oh, inspiration-- thy name is beer) and so he had to be there too.

Then he made sure and mention that the guy who set the match to the fuse, the guy that has been suspended 12 times, the guy who wanted to walk away from his team to promote a CD, the guy who broke a cameraman's camera in Madison Sq. Garden for no apparent reason, the guy who despite being a multimillionaire is a walking, breathing embodiment of this nation's angry black athlete punched him right in his fukken eye.

I think I saw the reflection of dollar signs in his pupils as he tried hard to sound like an aggrieved victim.

I hope he gets a week in jail, zero dollars from anyone and has to do community service swabbing out public toilets for about 120 hours for his idiocy. Actually, I would HOPE for worse, but this would be a start.

dropKickMurphy said:

Absolutely. I was thinking about the same thing (the Chicago stabbing). You go onto the field of play, all bets are off. In addition to getting their asses whupped for them, they should be permanently barred from attending any future sporting events in said arena.

After settling down a little bit I still don't think that laying on the scoring table was any excuse for a fan to throw a beer at him. Artest should not have gone into the crowd and deserved to be suspended. I think Stephen Jackson's suspension should have been more severe than Artest's as he just ran unprovoked into the crowd and threw haymakers. O'Neil should have not been suspended at all, and was totally justified in "suckerpunching" that fool all the way back to 8 mile.

The problem still remains that although Stern says changes will be made, the lack of security was very apparent and unexcusable. It's not often that fans throw stuff at baseball players, but when the sore Yankee fans did just that the entire field was covered in riot police within a minute. As a professional sports league the NBA should have had an emergency plan in case for this instance. Though no doubt the worst fight between fans and players in an NBA game it's not the first. 1995.... Vernon Maxwell went into the crowd after a heckler, and as recently as last year Antoine Walker had to be restrained from going into the stands after a fan. David Stern should have seen this coming and at least had some sort of back-up plan.

I agree with most of your post, bighit. I think Artest's punishment is too severe (he never actually punched anyone while in the seats), Jacksons about right. However, O'Neil jumped a defenseless drunk (not the same guy Artest decked-this guy seemed to be trying to get between Artest and the fan he hit). It was not self defense by O'Neil, but retaliation (for nothing but being on the court), and he ran from 20 feet away where neither he nor any Pacer was in danger. I really think he will be broguht up on charges.

That said, the security presence was abominable. There are 12 Pacers to control, and maybe 10 fans (non-team personnel) on the floor. That should not be that difficult.

The NBA: Where Gangsters and Thugs are thoroughly respected

I HATE THIS GAME!

Re: The NBA: Where Gangsters and Thugs are thoroughly respected

pookie said:
I HATE THIS GAME!

Perhaps if you're going to post that picture, you should also have a picture of a couple seconds earlier as the fan on the ground ran up to Artest, on the court, with his fists raised.

That guy on the floor deserved exactly what he got.

Hey, isn't that what all you BoSox fans said to justify Pedro knocking a 72 year old man to the ground???? That Zimmer was running at Pedro with his hands raised, so Pedro had every right to defend himself... From a 72 year old man?? The fan on the court looked a little more spry than Zimmer, so I'd say Artest was definitely justified in hitting the guy, who was attacking him.

Re: Re: The NBA: Where Gangsters and Thugs are thoroughly respected

mgoblue101415 said:
Perhaps if you're going to post that picture, you should also have a picture of a couple seconds earlier as the fan on the ground ran up to Artest, on the court, with his fists raised.

That guy on the floor deserved exactly what he got.

Hey, isn't that what all you BoSox fans said to justify Pedro knocking a 72 year old man to the ground???? That Zimmer was running at Pedro with his hands raised, so Pedro had every right to defend himself... From a 72 year old man?? The fan on the court looked a little more spry than Zimmer, so I'd say Artest was definitely justified in hitting the guy, who was attacking him.

Pedro shoulda gave old Zim a shot in the chops while he was at it.

I don't really care who deserved what. The NBA is a joke. But I really admire the cameraman in that shot.

Back