Wow, Ugliness in Detroit

I just saw the tape of that incident. That makes the Bruins going into the stands seem tame by comparison.

WOW!!!

After seeing the entire incident replayed, I've got to say that it's the worst thing I've ever seen in American sports. Truly disgraceful for all parties involved.

Alot of people are going to be waiting to see how the NBA reacts to this. I believe the legitimacy of the league is at stake here. For those who love the NBA (BTW, I'm not one of them) this is a very sad day.

patsRmyboys said:
That guy who got clocked by Artest just hit the lottery...He's gonna get PAID!

There's gonna be ALOT of lawsuits out of this. It may take years to sort them all out.

How is it Artests fault? I cant stand the guy, but when he fouled Ben, it was not even that bad for christ sake. Ben shoved him, and Artest immediately chilled out. Then a fan chucks friggin drinks at him. I understand an athlete needs to chill out, but we as fans need to as well. I am sorry, but player or not, you throw **** at someone and your gonna pay for it. I think the whole situation got way out of control and became ridiculous. But the fans were a joke, I would be pissed if my team was losing by 15 or 16, whatever it was.

But to throw all that **** at players, it's a joke. Hell, there were even Detroit fans trying to call the players on when they ran to the court. The fans were the main ones at fault here IMO. The brawl would have eventually cooled down, and **** never got THAT bad untill somebody chucked crap at Artest.

As fans it is our job to be passionate, but people need to know limits. Just total unclass from those fans, what a friggin joke.

Artest is just plain crazy. I have watched this a dozen times this morning, and the situation was done until "the rapper" laid down on the scorer's table just to rub it in. Then he jumps the guy who didn't even throw the bottle! Then staying on the court daring guys to come out at him.
Don't get me wrong, its gotta suck getting hit with a plastic bottle (at least a little), but if its me, I say to myself, I got more money than 95% of these fans, I goota take care of myself so I'll just take a nice stroll away from this situation.
Wallace overeacted-he needs a 3-5 game vacation.
Artest went bonkers, maybe 10 games for going into the crowd.
Jermaine O'Neal may end up in court-that sucker punch was heinous and could have killed the guy. He may do a short stint in the pokey for that.

BionicPatriot said:
How is it Artests fault? I cant stand the guy, but when he fouled Ben, it was not even that bad for christ sake. Ben shoved him, and Artest immediately chilled out. Then a fan chucks friggin drinks at him. I understand an athlete needs to chill out, but we as fans need to as well. I am sorry, but player or not, you throw **** at someone and your gonna pay for it. I think the whole situation got way out of control and became ridiculous. But the fans were a joke, I would be pissed if my team was losing by 15 or 16, whatever it was.

But to throw all that **** at players, it's a joke. Hell, there were even Detroit fans trying to call the players on when they ran to the court. The fans were the main ones at fault here IMO. The brawl would have eventually cooled down, and **** never got THAT bad untill somebody chucked crap at Artest.

As fans it is our job to be passionate, but people need to know limits. Just total unclass from those fans, what a friggin joke.

It's very simple, IMO.

A player NEVER goes into the stands. Identify who threw the stuff and let security take care of it. Artest should have gotten up and gone to midcourt. He didn't even know if he was going after the correct person. If he had done that, things would have cooled down.

Now, when a fan goes onto the court, that's a different story. The idiot who walked onto the court and confronted Artest got everything he deserved.

The bottom line is that the players have to do everything they can to diffuse the situation. The Detroit fans were ugly and hopefully some of them will face charges.

There's alot of blame to go around. Fans and players have to understand the boundaries. Players don't go into the stands and fans don't go onto the field of play.

Look....the fan is an idiot. There's no defending what he did.

But as a pro athlete, you just don't go after fans and throw punches. You just can't do it. It's bad for your sport and if it ends up in court you know you are going to lose big money.

This is what happens when adults give children millions and millions of dollars for playing a game. They think they're bigger than the game. If this league didn't exist, how many of these guys would play down at the local YMCA for love of the game? I'd venture less than half.

I haven't been a fan of the NBA for a long time. It's pretty pathetic to see what money does to some people.

I'm not absolving fans - there are some equally shitty fans out there, but if a player comes into the stands swinging at everything that moves, suspension will be unneccary because I'm going to put him on the DL.

Phobia said:
This is what happens when adults give children millions and millions of dollars for playing a game. They think they're bigger than the game. If this league didn't exist, how many of these guys would play down at the local YMCA for love of the game? I'd venture less than half.

I haven't been a fan of the NBA for a long time. It's pretty pathetic to see what money does to some people.

I'm not absolving fans - there are some equally shitty fans out there, but if a player comes into the stands swinging at everything that moves, suspension will be unneccary because I'm going to put him on the DL.

True, but this is also what happens when you try to stage any type of event in Detroit. I can't wait for the Superbowl, there will be all kinds of great stuff to do there. The Marines should use Motown as a training ground for Fallujah.

patsRmyboys said:
That guy who got clocked by Artest just hit the lottery...He's gonna get PAID!

This sort of priority is, like the inciden itself, a reflection of a "society gone bad". I thought that I could expect more from you!

bideau said:
After seeing the entire incident replayed, I've got to say that it's the worst thing I've ever seen in American sports. Truly disgraceful for all parties involved.

I agree with Bideau entirely, though I've got a blank tape in the VCR in case I catch it again. At least it has entertainment value. If they compiled a video of greatest sports melees (and the Bruins beating that Rangers fan with his own shoe does pale by comparison), it would be a best seller.

The fan(s) are idiots, but I think there's a quantum difference between being a rowdy neanderthal patron, and a performer being paid 10's of thousands of dollars to provide the entertainment that night. If some punk kids were taunting you in the parking lot or in the hallway at work, you'd need to be professional and call security. If it was a playground on a Saturday and you wanted to kick their ass, that would be different.

My question is. Where the hell was the security in that place?

If security was there to immediately apprehend the fan for throwing the drink, then maybe Artest doesn't have to go into the crowd and take care of it by himself.

Detroit proved to the national audience that they are nothing but a bunch of sore losers. That goes for the fans and players.

bideau said:
It's very simple, IMO.

A player NEVER goes into the stands. Identify who threw the stuff and let security take care of it. Artest should have gotten up and gone to midcourt. He didn't even know if he was going after the correct person. If he had done that, things would have cooled down.

Now, when a fan goes onto the court, that's a different story. The idiot who walked onto the court and confronted Artest got everything he deserved.

The bottom line is that the players have to do everything they can to diffuse the situation. The Detroit fans were ugly and hopefully some of them will face charges.

There's alot of blame to go around. Fans and players have to understand the boundaries. Players don't go into the stands and fans don't go onto the field of play.

Well, first off, I think security was asleep or something because untill that place was France in world war II, the security was horrendous. Artest did nothing to rub it in anyones face, the fan threw something at the player and he paid for it. I understand they are athletes, I understand they need self control. But Artest was sitting on the table doing nothing, and poof, out of nowhere a drink falls on him.

I think if fans want to do stupid ****, let them pay. And they didnt just swing at any fans either. I saw the guy in the blue shirt (another fan) tried to restrain Artest. Now, nothing wrong with that I thought. Suddenly, while having Artest in a head lock, he is punching him in the side of his face. Again I say, the fans were the main goats here.

If security was there to immediately apprehend the fan for throwing the drink, then maybe Artest doesn't have to go into the crowd and take care of it by himself.

Exactly. The security didnt do ****, and the one guy who did restrain Artest began punching him as well. The fans went WAAAAAY out of control.

BionicPatriot said:
Well, first off, I think security was asleep or something because untill that place was France in world war II, the security was horrendous. Artest did nothing to rub it in anyones face, the fan threw something at the player and he paid for it. I understand they are athletes, I understand they need self control. But Artest was sitting on the table doing nothing, and poof, out of nowhere a drink falls on him.

I think if fans want to do stupid ****, let them pay. And they didnt just swing at any fans either. I saw the guy in the blue shirt (another fan) tried to restrain Artest. Now, nothing wrong with that I thought. Suddenly, while having Artest in a head lock, he is punching him in the side of his face. Again I say, the fans were the main goats here.

Artest was NOT in any danger! He alone escalated the situation! Sounds like you are condoning "going into the stands" if hit by a cup of beer!

If a guy ran up to him wiht a knife all bets would be off, as they say!

BionicPatriot said:
But Artest was sitting on the table doing nothing, and poof, out of nowhere a drink falls on him.

I think if fans want to do stupid ****, let them pay.

Artest is supposed to just walk away. Security and the legal system need to make the fan pay. If security can't handle their role in that, then they need to be immediately fired and people need to be trained who can.

Mark_Henderson said:
Artest is supposed to just walk away. Security and the legal system need to make the fan pay. If security can't handle their role in that, then they need to be immediately fired and people need to be trained who can.

Yes, walk away unless it's an immediate danger to him! No brainer!

HOF said:
Artest was NOT in any danger! He alone escalated the situation! Sounds like you are condoning "going into the stands" if hit by a cup of beer!

If a guy ran up to him wiht a knife all bets would be off, as they say!

Alright, let me and you meet up and let me chuck a beer right at you. You wanna shake hands afterwards?

Back