Your Moment of Zen

And I thought I was being radical pouring gasoline in the yellowjacket nest.

So, a few years back a friend went to a Charity Auction and had the winning bid on a week's stay at a nice house in Waterville, Ireland which is way out on
the Ring of Kerry. She invited my wife and I to go along with some other folks. The house came with free golf at the Waterville Golf Links right down the street
and that is a well-known, classic course located on a gorgeous stretch of the Atlantic, so I was excited to see what it was like. .

Every morning a buddy and I would get up before the sun rose and walk down the road using headlamps to tee off as soon as it was light enough to see. We
would get some golf in before the girls got up to start the day. Often, we had to dive into a ditch to avoid the course's employees tearing down the narrow, dark road
at high speed.

Golf courses are generally beautiful places, but this was on a whole 'nother level.......we played it in fog, mist, wind, sideways rain, rainbows and beautiful sunshine all
in the same day. I've been trying to think of a zen thing to post in this thread and I remembered a photo I took with my phone that gives a vague approximation of
what the place looked like once the sun broke through and lit the landscape up to it's full glory. It was heaven.

Yep. This is my kind of zen.

waterville (2).jpg

So, a few years back a friend went to a Charity Auction and had the winning bid on a week's stay at a nice house in Waterville, Ireland which is way out on
the Ring of Kerry. She invited my wife and I to go along with some other folks. The house came with free golf at the Waterville Golf Links right down the street
and that is a well-known, classic course located on a gorgeous stretch of the Atlantic, so I was excited to see what it was like. .

Every morning a buddy and I would get up before the sun rose and walk down the road using headlamps to tee off as soon as it was light enough to see. We
would get some golf in before the girls got up to start the day. Often, we had to dive into a ditch to avoid the course's employees tearing down the narrow, dark road
at high speed.

Golf courses are generally beautiful places, but this was on a whole 'nother level.......we played it in fog, mist, wind, sideways rain, rainbows and beautiful sunshine all
in the same day. I've been trying to think of a zen thing to post in this thread and I remembered a photo I took with my phone that gives a vague approximation of
what the place looked like once the sun broke through and lit the landscape up to it's full glory. It was heaven.

View attachment 10875
Ireland is an astoundingly beautiful place so it stands to reason that the Golf Courses might be beautiful themselves. Didn't go to Ireland to golf and didn't get t see many course. But Lori and I played first thing in the morning on a FRi & Sat on what to us was a simply gorgeous Kilarney Golf and Fishing Club on the shores of the upper Lake. A genuine high moment of our two weeks there in late May and early June of '82,. This was about 60K from killarney golf courses ireland - Google Search though we Dingle but not the Ring.

Cheers BostonTim

Last edited:

at high speed.

View attachment 10875

Nice!

OK as far as my own personal bit of Zen, it would likely have to be a red rainbow I saw driving into work one morning.

A coworker who drove the same commute snapped a photo of it.

2015-09-22 05.31.09.jpg

It's only red for the same reason you see red sky at sundown. That's the only frequency light that makes it through the atmosphere.

Back