The 2024 Draft

The Athletic had discussions with many NFL FO execs who responded anonymously to questions about each team's draft.
About the Patriots, they had these comments, some interesting and some just plain dumb:

The Patriots’ decision to stay in the third slot to draft Drake Maye is fascinating amid reports New England could have traded down with the Giants (for a package including the sixth pick and a 2025 first-rounder) or Vikings (for a package including the 11th and 23rd picks and a 2025 first).

If it’s true that the Giants and Vikings were that eager to land Maye, and that the Patriots were determined to select him anyway, then the consensus feeling on Maye as a top-flight prospect might be strong with the Patriots. No duh.

“They seemed happy as hell with Maye, so that was their guy and you just stay and take him,” an exec said. This is the right answer.

There’s still plenty to discuss.

“New England had an opportunity to pick up an extra first (in 2025) and pick up additional draft capital and ride this season out with a version of Jacoby Brissett, Joe Milton and Bailey Zappe, and they chose not to do it in exchange for the third quarterback of the group,” another exec said. “The Giants’ offer looked strong. I don’t know why they didn’t pull the trigger on that.”

Would you rather have Maye or another building-block player, plus the Giants’ first-round pick next year? What about J.J. McCarthy or Michael Penix Jr. at No. 6, plus a first-rounder next year?

“If Drake Maye goes to Washington at 2, New England is taking Jayden Daniels — point being, New England was taking whoever was left,” a third exec said. “No different than Houston last year after Carolina selected. It worked out for Houston. It very well could work out for New England. I just think the team New England has around its QB more closely resembles Carolina than Houston.”

The Patriots plan to play Brissett in the short term.

“When (owner Robert) Kraft needs to sell tickets, how does that work?” the third exec added.

Last year, the Panthers had Andy Dalton but couldn’t resist playing Bryce Young.

However it unfolds, projecting quarterback success remains the first wonder of the NFL world.

I hate this guy's take and I'm glad he's not my GM! Nevertheless, the Pats did also draft Joe Milton which should have satisfied this loser.
“Historically speaking, you have to operate under the assumption that you are wrong,” another exec said. “At some point, you have to pick, but you are better off collecting more and especially future assets than just taking a quarterback early because you have never been in position to do it. You are taking the third quarterback out of six, and we know half are going to fail. Which one did I just get?”

The Bills caught all kinds of criticism for trading with the Chiefs to let the Chiefs get a get they really wanted at the bottom of the 1st, Xavier Worthy. The consensus was
why the hell are the Bills helping their #1 rival? I agree. That was a stupid move by Bills GM Brandon Beane. Worthy gives the Chiefs the speed on O that has been missing since Tyreek Hill was traded away. Reid knows how to use those small fast WRs.

bacf9b50-070a-11ef-bbfb-ecb46311c83e

6. New England Patriots

The Patriots' class is all about Drake Maye, but two receiver picks are important as well. Ja'Lynn Polk in the second round and Javon Baker in the fourth round both made sense. The Patriots have struggled for years to draft receivers, but this is a new era. They need at least one, and hopefully both, to hit.

Joe Milton says his meeting with Alex Van Pelt and T.C. McCartney prior to the draft, gave him the idea the Patriots might draft him.“The quarterback coach and the offensive coordinator was like, ‘… we love your life story, we love the way that you fought through adversity, we just love the way that you compete everyday on the field. You’re talented, you can throw the ball a country mile’ — they actually said that. ‘Your arm’s just gifted, you got some things that people can’t coach.’ So it gave me a little heads up.”

Joe Milton says his meeting with Alex Van Pelt and T.C. McCartney prior to the draft, gave him the idea the Patriots might draft him.“The quarterback coach and the offensive coordinator was like, ‘… we love your life story, we love the way that you fought through adversity, we just love the way that you compete everyday on the field. You’re talented, you can throw the ball a country mile’ — they actually said that. ‘Your arm’s just gifted, you got some things that people can’t coach.’ So it gave me a little heads up.”
Well at least they see that much.

Also in the post above this one. The Falcons will win that division this year, and all the people shitting on their draft will suddenly go silent.

I know not all of us in here are fantasy football fans but I had a Dynasty Draft over the weekend. (You draft only the rookies and they join your established team)

5 rounds in a 12 team league. I had 13 picks (gutted my team) and did OK.

I got Drake Maye at 1.07 (seventh pick in the first) It's a Superflex league so I can play two QB's if I want. McCarthy went 1.06. Lol

Xavier Worthy at 1.09

Brian Thomas at 2.03

Blake Corum at 2.07

MarShawn Lloyd at 2.09

Ben Sinnott at 2.11

Javon Baker at 3.04

Ray Davis at 4.04

Jacob Cowing at 4.07

Audric Estine at 4.08

Joe Milton at 4.09

and some scrubs in the fifth.

I know some of you dive deep into the draft and I want to thank you for giving me scouting reports and articles about some of these guys.

I think I did OK.

I know not all of us in here are fantasy football fans but I had a Dynasty Draft over the weekend. (You draft only the rookies and they join your established team)

5 rounds in a 12 team league. I had 13 picks (gutted my team) and did OK.

I got Drake Maye at 1.07 (seventh pick in the first) It's a Superflex league so I can play two QB's if I want. McCarthy went 1.06. Lol

Xavier Worthy at 1.09

Brian Thomas at 2.03

Blake Corum at 2.07

MarShawn Lloyd at 2.09

Ben Sinnott at 2.11

Javon Baker at 3.04

Ray Davis at 4.04

Jacob Cowing at 4.07

Audric Estine at 4.08

Joe Milton at 4.09

and some scrubs in the fifth.

I know some of you dive deep into the draft and I want to thank you for giving me scouting reports and articles about some of these guys.

I think I did OK.

Seems to me you did pretty well but I hope neither of your QBs play this year.

Very happy with Baker who can play flanker or X.
I'll pretend we drafted Baker in Polk's position and Polk in Baker's position. In that order this is a good WR draft, imo.
Mike Renner had Baker rated above Polk. Thinks they’re both good.
was surprised how late Baker went.

Mike Renner had Baker rated above Polk. Thinks they’re both good.
was surprised how late Baker went.

I had Baker ranked (way) above Polk, too. Most people had Baker slotted for the mid 2nd to mid 3rd. 4th was a steal.
Baker is one of the more polished route runners in this draft. Great releases, stacks well, very good hard breaks, soft sure hands 90% of the time and great YAC. If he ran the 40 0.12 sec faster he'd have been thought of in the same tier as MHJ. That speed really doesn't matter to Baker because he gains separation by running a great route, start to finish.

The only receivers in college football to have more 20+ yard receptions than Javon Baker last season? First-rounders Rome Odunze and Malik Nabers.

Here's my report on him in the WRs of the '24 draft thread.

15. Javon Baker, Bama/Central Fla., 6'1", 202. Grade 85.2. Starting immediately with large role and learning on the go. Baker is on the cusp of the Rotational Starter Tier: Executes at a starter level in a role playing to their strengths. WR2 with WR1 upside.
Comp. Jeremy Maclin, Malcolm Mitchell+ NFL
Comp. Brenden Rice, this draft. So many similarities from body type, good coaching/great route running and good hands, good YAC and more, to negatives such as clapping at balls, less than ideal speed and below avg overall athleticism for an NFL WR1 (Rice scored 7.92 RAS and Baker scored 7.93 RAS). There is a lot to like about both players and they are already well developed enough that the Patriots don't have to develop them, which is a good thing imo,...but they will never be a true WR1.

Baker is a natural flanker with some split-end abilities at the catch point. He’s skilled route runner with refined footwork against man-to-man coverage, nuanced manipulation techniques to bait defenders in the wrong direction before his breaks, and the snap with his breaks to generate an extra step of separation. Baker wins a lot of targets away from his frame because he positions his frame effectively and has the concentration to earn the ball against tight coverage and collisions. He’ll win more when he corrects a flaw with his attack where he widens his
hands just enough at the last moment and it forces him to clap at balls unnecessarily, similar to Brenden Rice. Also similar to Brenden Rice, because Baker is a good but not great athlete by starter standards for the position, there’s a very low margin of error that will define success and failure with his game. (Rice scored 7.92 RAS and Baker scored 7.93 RAS.). If these issues that nag him at UCF carry over to the NFL, it could magnify the difference between what Baker is and what he could become despite promising moments on the field.

I won't go on about Baker since he's so similar to Brendan Rice I wrote about above. I'll just say I'd like either of these guys in a Patriots' uni (early middle rounds) because even if they aren't true WR1 prospects because of limited athleticism, they are both already highly nuanced route runners & skilled enough to be terrific WR2 complements to a true WR1. (They are already well developed as receivers)

No injuries noted.

Seems to me you did pretty well but I hope neither of your QBs play this year.
I had Jaheim Bell queued up at one point and he got sniped one pick before mine.

And that RB from SF Guerendo also queued up but he went 2 picks before I could take him.

Super surprised that McCarthy went before Maye. But I'm guessing with McCarthy probably starting this year and Maye probably not, it seemed like a good gamble.

Back