Are you happy with the Drake Maye pick?

Excited for what? Who will Maye throw to? Who will protect him?
My hope is that he sits until after Thanksgiving, and then gets a few games as the starter near the end of the season.
With only one pick in the first round it was never going to be possible to address QB, WR 1, and a starting LT in one draft. We got a great player at the most important of those positions, guys who are gonna be good depth at the others. Despite looking like he’s running in mud Polk has a great attitude, can block, and can make plays in the middle of the field. WR1 or LT can be addressed next year. They have to be. This turnaround is too big for one offseason.
There is plenty of cap space to keep this defense together. It’s good it wasn’t wasted on a guy like Ridley.
I’m hoping they draft an RB to develop this year behind Gibson and Stevenson. Or maybe a CB, or interior Oline prospects.

I would absolutely love to hear Eliot Wolf speak candidly about his experience with the Krafts this off season as defacto GM.
We know he wanted Ridley and was told "no". Most of us agreed with that but how many other FAs did he want to pursue but was told "no"?
I'd like to know how much meddling he is encountering from ownership regarding the draft. The 2nd and 3rd picks are underwhelming for me.
Wolf or Krafts?

It would have probably taken 28 to 30 mill per year to get Ridley. He isn’t worth that.
QB has been THE problem since Brady left. Maye is worth where he was drafted. We should all be very excited.
I don’t get this, this forum loved Mac and it was obvious he was average at best from the time he was drafted. Plus bad leadership. All of this was obvious. I’d get called a hater and shredded for stating it.
Likewise it’s obvious Maye has great leadership and a chance to be a truly great QB, and this forum seems totally down on him. On the Maye pick alone this draft has been knocked out if the park. He’s gonna be the Patriots QB for the next 12 years.

Bingo. People want to bitch just for bitching sake imo. They could have drafted Wiliams number 1 overall and they would still complain. I have zero idea what this is going to look like, and until all the camps start we have zero clue. Zero. They might have hit 3 homeruns so far in the first year of a multi year rebuild. They might have swung and missed. I for one like the draft profiles of all their picks so far. I really do. Tough, hard nosed no nonsense quality players who give 100 percent effort each snap that they need to help build a new foundation.

Until training camp and into the season, anyone bitching about these players needs to simmer down in my opinion because it doesn't mean anything. What happens on the field is what matters.

It would have probably taken 28 to 30 mill per year to get Ridley. He isn’t worth that.
QB has been THE problem since Brady left. Maye is worth where he was drafted. We should all be very excited.
I don’t get this, this forum loved Mac and it was obvious he was average at best from the time he was drafted. Plus bad leadership. All of this was obvious. I’d get called a hater and shredded for stating it.
Likewise it’s obvious Maye has great leadership and a chance to be a truly great QB, and this forum seems totally down on him. On the Maye pick alone this draft has been knocked out if the park. He’s gonna be the Patriots QB for the next 12 years.
It took 22. The Patriots offered 21 and not a penny more (according to them, my guess is that it was less than that).

Bingo. People want to bitch just for bitching sake imo. They could have drafted Wiliams number 1 overall and they would still complain. I have zero idea what this is going to look like, and until all the camps start we have zero clue. Zero. They might have hit 3 homeruns so far in the first year of a multi year rebuild. They might have swung and missed. I for one like the draft profiles of all their picks so far. I really do. Tough, hard nosed no nonsense quality players who give 100 percent effort each snap that they need to help build a new foundation.

Until training camp and into the season, anyone bitching about these players needs to simmer down in my opinion because it doesn't mean anything. What happens on the field is what matters.
Maye is a fine, safe pick at 3. Outside of that, you've left objectively better players on the board and reached for 2 guys, while leaving the best player in the draft on the board to start with. That's where the frustration comes in, and it doesn't look like a draft controlled by a GM, but rather by an ownership. Is Eliot Wolf, without interference, taking the 13th best Tackle in the third round? Is he taking the 'good egg' WR in the 2nd when there's first round, legitimate first round, mind you, not 'Could have gone #31', talent at other positions on the board?

I'm not bitching about the players. I haven't seen the players in action in this system yet, that we don't know what it will look like. I'm bitching, right now, about the talent evaluators, the draft process, and what appears, really strongly, to be some big-time meddling by the ownership, in order to score PR points with the media, instead of adding talent to a football team that desperately needs it.

Maye is a fine, safe pick at 3. Outside of that, you've left objectively better players on the board and reached for 2 guys, while leaving the best player in the draft on the board to start with. That's where the frustration comes in, and it doesn't look like a draft controlled by a GM, but rather by an ownership. Is Eliot Wolf, without interference, taking the 13th best Tackle in the third round? Is he taking the 'good egg' WR in the 2nd when there's first round, legitimate first round, mind you, not 'Could have gone #31', talent at other positions on the board?

I'm not bitching about the players. I haven't seen the players in action in this system yet, that we don't know what it will look like. I'm bitching, right now, about the talent evaluators, the draft process, and what appears, really strongly, to be some big-time meddling by the ownership, in order to score PR points with the media, instead of adding talent to a football team that desperately needs it.

Just read a pretty good read from Bedard about Packers receivers that got roasted because they didn't take a higher rated WR. Those 2 receivers? Jordy Nelson and James Jones both who fit the Polk profile almost to a T.

These aren't Kraft Co. picks. These are Wolf picks. Yeah I get it, the Krafts seems to be fingers deep but this doesn't seem to be that to me. Maye is there, you take him. WR seem to be in the Packer mold.

Just read a pretty good read from Bedard about Packers receivers that got roasted because they didn't take a higher rated WR. Those 2 receivers? Jordy Nelson and James Jones both who fit the Polk profile almost to a T.

These aren't Kraft Co. picks. These are Wolf picks. Yeah I get it, the Krafts seems to be fingers deep but this doesn't seem to be that to me. Maye is there, you take him. WR seem to be in the Packer mold.

I posted earlier that Polk is from the same mold as Davante Adams, too. I see the trend. Of course, they had Rodgers throwing to them in GB.

Bear in mind, you are way, way higher on Drake Maye than I am.

Also the thing with drafting Nelson, and James Jones (I guess? He's more JAG-y that you remember), is that they had Rodgers already in place. The Patriots do not have that.

And Wolf's been Director of Scouting, in his current position, since 2022. Was Thornton a Wolf pick? How about Juju? Jalen Reagor? Some of the berth we're being ask to give, and some of the things we're being asked to memory-hole is pretty incredible.

Bear in mind, you are way, way higher on Drake Maye than I am.

Also the thing with drafting Nelson, and James Jones (I guess? He's more JAG-y that you remember), is that they had Rodgers already in place. The Patriots do not have that.

And Wolf's been Director of Scouting, in his current position, since 2022. Was Thornton a Wolf pick? How about Juju? Jalen Reagor? Some of the berth we're being ask to give, and some of the things we're being asked to memory-hole is pretty incredible.

As has been reported, BB made the final say on who they drafted. This will be a big draft to find out right?

As has been reported, BB made the final say on who they drafted. This will be a big draft to find out right?
So you're in the camp that Bill Belichick made every single decision without input from anyone else working there, and mind you, you don't seem to be alone in thinking that.

Yes, we're going to find out a lot about big, mean, stupid, Belichick intentionally ruining the team, in pretty short order.

So you're in the camp that Bill Belichick made every single decision without input from anyone else working there, and mind you, you don't seem to be alone in thinking that.

Yes, we're going to find out a lot about big, mean, stupid, Belichick intentionally ruining the team, in pretty short order.
Well look at Harry, not like he didn't know connections. How many picks were due to Bill have "inside" info from friends? Do I think he overruled his scouts when he had a conviction about a player? Absolutely.

IMO he was that way for a long, long time. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. It got worse as time went on. All those Rutgers players wasn't because they scouts told him to draft them.

You may find this somewhat encouraging

GMAz9zDW0AAjvwu

Bryce Young that high was always idiotic, IMHO. Never thought he was that impressive at Alabama.
He was impressive due to a great OL and DL. I think their QB now Jalen Milroe I am impressed with and feel he is doing better than Bryce already. But the last season was his first time at the helm so we will see soon.

#RollTide
#Bama
#SabanForLife

This household was not impressed with Tua. He, to us, seemed too cocky.

Last edited:
Let’s be clear. The behaviour of the Krafts has killed any optimism of a solid rebuild.

As others have said, they did nothing in FA and now the draft has been very very, meh.

I mean Mayo went into FA excited and determined to get good players. He thought he had a big bag of cash and was set on using it and said so to the world. And then the got the call from upstairs and was likely severely wrapped on the knuckles, told to get his hands out of the Krafts pockets and had to cringingly backtrack to the media on his comments and we ended up with nobody of note in FA.

Mayo is fucked imho. He has a shitstorm above him with ownership. Jonathan Kraft is meddling and will meddle, the press are even saying it now and Mayo also has to deal with this silly Robyn Glazer woman, a run of the mill, grey executive used to the vagaries of cardboard manufacturing and shipping, now essentially Mayo’s boss. It’s ridiculous.

We had massive needs across the board and have not filled any of them. It’s too early to say if Maye is the guy and in many ways how can he be of the team have given him nothing to work with?

It’s a good thing Brissett is a tough fucker because he is going to spend the year getting absolutely battered from pillar to post by D lines across the league.
Nailed it.

Well, if you sit the QB, then you can attack the team building next offseason as well. So that gives you 2 offseason, FA and draft to get the team locked and ready for Maye. They will have a pretty high pick next year as well. The 2025 NFL season is where the Pats are looking to.

Edit to add for clarification. Do you mean that if you sit the QB you would rather select someone lower? IE Penix or what not?
i honestly doubt we will be anywhere near rebuilt in 2 years. The the average retirement age among NFL defensive players 27.7 years old. Our average age among defensive players is 27….

our top 10 defenders

1.Pepper 28
2 Tavai 27
3. Dugger. 28
4. Austin 22
5. Gonzalez 21
6. Mapu. 24
7. Bryant 26 (gone)
8. Phillips. 32 (released)
9. Speed 25 (waived)
10. Jennings 26

The defense will need some serious work as well.

~Dee~

i honestly doubt we will be anywhere near rebuilt in 2 years. The the average retirement age among NFL defensive players 27.7 years old. Our average age among defensive players is 27….

our top 10 defenders

1.Pepper 28
2 Tavai 27
3. Dugger. 28
4. Austin 22
5. Gonzalez 21
6. Mapu. 24
7. Bryant 26 (gone)
8. Phillips. 32 (released)
9. Speed 25 (waived)
10. Jennings 26

The defense will need some serious work as well.

~Dee~
You did leave out Judon, who will be 32 in August.

He wasn’t rated in the top ten NE Defensive players last year… I was actually shocked myself

~Dee~
Well he missed most of the year, which is why, but yeah, he's in the same mix.

Back