Patriots sign DeVante Parker to 3 yr extension - $33M

Agreed. I'm not a Parker fan, but he is a steady producer.

He definitely showed glimpses of what he can do and started to have a rapport with Mac. I suspect this potential with Mac is a big reason for BoB likely the one who pushed for this. It's a really good sign imho. They clearly like what they see and I'm sure Mac is delighted.

This has been in the works for over 6 weeks and it's a smart move imo. He wanted to be here and, as Tommy said, Parker's contract, when it finally comes out, won't be the same numbers his agent put out there. $19M of that contract will be incentives, roster bonuses, production bonuses and bonuses for NFL honors received - iow, he'll have to earn that money on the field.
This is nothing new to Parker. His last contract with the Dolphins included a $500K bonus for every game he played.
This new contract will add multiple incentives, both LTBE and NLTBE, to that same recipe to enable the Pats to keep his salary cap numbers as low as possible. His base salary will be less than 1/2 of $11M/year. Plus, when players bet on themselves with contracts like these the player normally performs better. This is a great contract for the Patriots no matter how you look at it.

Why would BB want him back? Under trying circumstances last year Parker averaged 17.4 yds/catch and had a catch rate of 66%.
Both are career highs for a guy who has a 1200 yd year under his belt. To me it's simple...increase his targets.
He was grossly underutilized last year with only 47 targets (and many of those early targets were wasted on GO routes).

Stay with me here.
In only 47 targets, Parker had 537 yds (and only 1 blown route!).
Now extrapolate those numbers to Justin Jefferson's 184 targets, or Tyreek Hill's 170 targets or Stephon Diggs' 154 targets.
I've done the math... he'd have been the #1 ranked WR last year with over 2000 yds.
That's why BB wants him back.

Last edited:
This has been in the works for over 6 weeks and it's a smart move imo. He wanted to be here and, as Tommy said, Parker's contract, when it finally comes out, won't be the same numbers his agent put out there. $19M of that contract will be incentives, roster bonuses, production bonuses and bonuses for NFL honors received - iow, he'll have to earn that money on the field.
This is nothing new to Parker. His last contract with the Dolphins included a $500K bonus for every game he played.
This new contract will add multiple incentives, both LTBE and NLTBE, to that same recipe to enable the Pats to keep his salary cap numbers as low as possible. His base salary will be less than 1/2 of $11M/year. Plus, when players bet on themselves with contracts like these the player normally performs better. This is a great contract for the Patriots no matter how you look at it.

Why would BB want him back? Under trying circumstances last year Parker averaged 17.4 yds/catch and had a catch rate of 66%.
Both are career highs for a guy who has a 1200 yd year under his belt. To me it's simple...increase his targets.
He was grossly underutilized last year with only 47 targets (and many of those early targets were wasted on GO routes).

Stay with me here.
In only 47 targets, Parker had 537 yds (and only 1 blown route!).
Now extrapolate those numbers to Justin Jefferson's 184 targets, or Tyreek Hill's 170 targets or Stephon Diggs' 154 targets.
I've done the math... he'd have been the #1 ranked WR last year with over 2000 yds.
That's why BB wants him back.

Top analysis right there chevss.

Also, Kendrick Bourne is going to have to earn a spot in camp.

He'll have to study his routes for sure.

Here's a sample of the incentives that I'm expecting to see in Parker's contract.
These are the incentives in Michael Thomas's contract for the Saints.
FzFMn-gXsAEb21i

Creates 4m in cap space, and is only 14m guaranteed. Some day, reporters will report on actual numbers and not bullshit ones.

Edit: If anything, this makes a Hopkins signing more likely.
From your keyboard...

Agreed. I'm not a Parker fan, but he is a steady producer.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but I'll bite...He's been an inconsistent producer his entire career, even when he's healthy, which is rare. The guy completely disappears for games at a time. I don't see any of that changing now that he's on the wrong side of 30. Not saying the contract is bad, the good games he has can be phenomenal at times and win you those games, just be prepared for him only catching 1 or 2 passes total over the next couple of games after one of those

Back