So Who is Teaching News Groups for Dummies This Semester?

G

I am registered for the class. I have never really understood the concept. Don't people have better things to do with their time than to sit around posting messages to people they have never met about arcane subjects? I mean geez...

On a serious note: We now have a portal to some newsgroup. Everything we post on that forum goes to the newsgroup forum as well. Aside from drumming up new members, a noble cause, what else can we use it for? What is the name of the newsgroup? How do you view the "external" feed? And anything else I might want an answer to if I knew the question?

One thing that occurs to me is that if a troll were to get a hold of that forum, he could spam away for quite some time before being noticed. Would anyone notice? Would anyone care? Is there someone out there reading that newsgroup that wouldn't want to see about a million "Patsies S---"? Has anyone else thought of this? Please phrase the answer in the form of a question.

NoRespect said:
One thing that occurs to me is that if a troll were to get a hold of that forum, he could spam away for quite some time before being noticed. Would anyone notice? Would anyone care? Is there someone out there reading that newsgroup that wouldn't want to see about a million "Patsies S---"? Has anyone else thought of this? Please phrase the answer in the form of a question.

I dunno the answer to the remainder of your questions, but this is a VERY good point. There is a "flood" option that can be configured for each forum within the board's admin module. I recommend this be set to several minutes so a troll can't spam the newsgroup. I'd do it myself, but I want to see Kyle's thoughts on the issue. Good catch, NR!

All very good questions NR.... I think.:confused: Who and where are these newsgroup people? Is this newsgroup a compilation from boards like this one? How do ordinary Joe's find out about such a thing as the Pats newsgroup? Could posting on the newsgroup put you in any type of danger from a hack? Is it moderated? Are there idiot trolls? Is there an easier way to sort/read the confusing posts? Why do men have nipples? The questions go on and on.......

Re: Re: So Who is Teaching News Groups for Dummies This Semester?

Phobia said:
I dunno the answer to the remainder of your questions, but this is a VERY good point. There is a "flood" option that can be configured for each forum within the board's admin module. I recommend this be set to several minutes so a troll can't spam the newsgroup. I'd do it myself, but I want to see Kyle's thoughts on the issue. Good catch, NR!

I think I know what you're talking about, to a point, maybe-maybe not. This board will not let you post more than a message per 30 seconds. But this wouldn't stop a troll from posting something stupid every 31 seconds. Very good point NR..... your brain power is stunning, yet you're oh, so simple. Can you say "rain man"?

Re: Re: Re: So Who is Teaching News Groups for Dummies This Semester?

pookie said:
...But this wouldn't stop a troll from posting something stupid every 31 seconds. Very good point NR..... your brain power is stunning, yet you're oh, so simple. Can you say "rain man"?

Funny, now that you mention it I have a favorite line I use about that very subject. I have always been something of a savant -- an idiot savant.

Tom: Kmart s--ks Ray.
Ray: Yeah.
Tom: Kmart s--ks!
Ray: Yeeaah.

Ten minutes to Wapner!

Raymond is definitely not wearing any underwear...

Back