MaineMan

Reaction score
RUNNING BACKS

RIDLEY .......(671) (806) .(940) (UFA)
VEREEN ......(787) (944) (1101) (UFA)
BOLDEN ......(395) (485) .(575) (RFA)
WOODHEAD .(900) (UFA)
DEMPS-IR ...(390) .(405) .(495) (RFA)

RIDLEY (5112/225) His 2012 fumbles were the result of mostly hard defensive plays rather than the way he was carrying the ball (in 2011). However, while his overall stats were pretty good (4.4 YPC on 290 attempts, 12 TDs) I'm concerned that his average seemed to be achieved via big runs that were outnumbered by the times he got stuffed. Vereen, Woodhead and Bolden didn't break as many good gains, but they also didn't seem to get stuffed at the same rate. There's likely a combination of issues that contributed to this, some on Ridley, some on the play-design and some on the OL and TEs (and their respective health and availability) and I don't think they're insoluble. I also think Ridley will continue to be a very good (though not elite) lead RB in 2013, though his total carries may decline a bit as the other RBs perhaps get more involved in 2013.

BOLDEN (5110/222) His early season power never seemed to reappear after his PED suspension. Hopefully, his strength and quickness weren't entirely chemical-based. If he's good to go in 2013, I expect to see him cutting into Ridley's carries a bit. If not, his spot could go to a "real" FB.

VEREEN (5102/210) has some pretty good wheels and hands and more "thwack" through the middle of the LoS than I expected, but he's still carrying the ball the way Ridley did in 2011. That's an issue that needs fixed for him to become more than an occasional CoP/receiver.

WOODHEAD (5075/200) is still THE "go-to" guy and the most reliable RB in pass-pro, especially in the "fugue-state offense". He's also probably the quickest and most elusive in space. I'm hoping that the Pats can re-sign Woodhead to something reasonable (say, $2.0M to $2.5M for 2013 and a bit more each year for a subsequent 2-3 years).

DEMPS (5076/191) is basically the same size as Woodhead, but with Olympic-level straight-line speed, though IDK if he has NFL-level cutting ability. At Florida, Demps was a leading participant in what was essentially an RBBC in which an average of five players ran the ball roughly 50 times or more per season (Demps averaged 91/605, 6TDs). This committee included, at various times, Tebow, Harvin and Chris Rainey (though not, strangely enough, Cam Newton). Demps also caught an average of about 15 passes/120 yards per season and was Florida's #2 KR his last two years. So, carrying the ball as an RB was most of what he did in college, which is why he's currently in this group and not with the WRs (though that could certainly change as the off-season unfolds). He showed a bit of spark and football smarts in limited pre-season action, even though he was "not in football shape", so there's legitimate reason to believe he can actually play. Even so, he seems a bit Woodhead-redundant. Not that this is a bad thing.

Before even addressing the "fullback question", the Pats are currently rostering FIVE RBs. Seems kinda difficult to think that they start the 2013 regular season with more than four. Ridley sticks as a good lead back. Woody, I think, gets re-signed as the reliable "old man" of the group. Demps needs to prove that his speed is as good on the football field as it was on the track and probably some "swiss army knife" potential as a returner and regular receiver as well. That leaves Vereen and Bolden.

Lose Bolden and they lose their short-yardage power back, assuming he can still perform without PEDs. If not, the FB position seems maybe more viable. I'm not sure what's lost if Vereen goes, aside from the "potential" to be another Woodhead. I mean, he did "this" in college and "that" in college and he's had a handful of great plays with the Pats, but . . .

UNIT CAP HIT for 2013 = $4.M - $5.0M (with Woodhead re-signed as above)

FULLBACK

LARSEN-IR ..........(825) (875) (UFA)
HOOMANWANUI ...(540) (UFA)
FIAMMETTA-WTF .(???)

LARSEN (6016/238) never got any significant opportunity to show anything as a FB or even on special teams (one of his previously reported strong points).

HOOMANWANUI (6035/264) is the only guy on the roster who actually played the FB position "live" for the Pats in 2012, though he wasn't consistently good at it. He's here for that reason anyway. He was a pretty good special-teamer, but did little receiving and wasn't nearly as good blocking from the TE spot. Seems likely he can be signed for another year cheaply, though he could easily be supplanted by the end of 2013 Camp.

FIAMMETTA (6001/245) had a one-year deal, IIRC, and I'm guessing that maybe tolls now into 2013 (though I don't have an record of the $$ on his deal). After a year away from football, no telling whether he'll be able to do anything at all. Maybe he sticks into OTAs (if he is, indeed, still under contract and can pass the fitness test). Maybe the Pats just let him go (no cap-hit unless/until he's reinstated).

[Develin (6031/259), though listed as a FB/RB, played only a tiny bit of ST in 2012 and no FB (except perhaps on the scout team) and, so, is listed with the special teamers for now.]

UNIT CAP HIT for 2013 < $1.5M (if anything at all)

Ridley seemed to slow down as the year went on. Hopefully they keep him closer to 200 carries rather than 300. This group is basically set, though. Obviously they can't or won't run it in the playoffs even when teams dare them to, so it really doesn't matter. McDaniels loves himself some shotgun passing on third and short.

If Demps is anything resembling a decent kick returner, Bolden seems the odd man out. Definitely keep Ridley, Vereen, and Woodhead.

Back