I am traveling again

Patriots-Lifer

Live the life you've dreamed
Reaction score
Dear friends Just letting you know why some of my post recently have been a bit off center, As many of you know My late wife and I helped get a school and other programs started in Bethlehem inside the area of Palestine. It was time I made a trip back again. I came with some family and friends.

I send you greetings from the Old City of Jerusalem. The 8 of us are halfway through our sojourn in Palestine and Israel - we spent four days in Bethlehem, and are now in Jerusalem for five days before heading to Galilee in the north. And we have been experiencing people who are strong, bold, and courageous models of popular resistance to the domination systems and matrices of control of the Israeli occupation - agricultural, demonstrations on the front lines, children's and women's programs, liberation theology, the arts, conflict transformation, health care.

We are also aware of the Brexit vote in Great Britain, and the votes on boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) resolutions in the Presbyterian (PCUSA) General Assembly in Portland, OR, and the Unitarian Universalists in Columbus, OH.

We have met with good friends - Zoughbi Zoughbi (Wi'am Conflict Resolution Center, Bethlehem), Abdelfattah Abusrour (Arrowwad Theater Center, Aida Refugee Camp, Bethlehem), Daoud Nassar (Tent of Nations farm, Bethlehem), Rifat Kassis (Kairos Palestine), George & Najwa Sa'adeh and Rami Elhanan (Bereaved Parents Circle), Iyad Burnat (Bil'in creative popular resistance and protest - from Five Broken Cameras), and Rev. Mark Brown (Augusta Victoria Hospital, Mount of Olives, Jerusalem). More to come next week - in Ramallah, Nablus, and Ibillin.

Tomorrow we have a bit of a touring day - Jericho and the tel there, Qumran and the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the Ein Gedi spa where we will float in the Dead Sea.

In addition to getting to meet these incredible people and learning about their work, we have been discussing how each of our sojourners might find creative ways of sharing what they have learned when they return - through writing, speaking, the arts, film, music, organizing, and other means. Also, some of our group are exploring partnerships with the ministries here. The group is being very creative.

I hope my mind set while here has not made my post to odd.

Have a great visit. Sounds like an extraordinary adventure.

Cheers, BostonTim

Awesome trip.

Did you go to the right Bethlehem?

http://archive.archaeology.org/0511/abstracts/jesus.html

Bethlehem "house of bread" is a town in Palestine, near which Jacob buried Rachel, then known as Ephrath (Gen 35:19; 48:7). It is also called Bethlehem Ephrathah (Mic 5:2), Bethlehem in Judah (1 Sam 17:12), Bethlehem of Judea (Matt 2:1), and the city of David (Luke 2:4; cf. John 7:42). The old name, Ephrath, or Ephrathah, remained long after Israel occupied Palestine (Ruth 1:2; 4:11; 1 Sam 17:12; Ps 132:6; Mic 5:2; etc.). The city overlooks the main highway to Hebron and Egypt. The site of the city is on a large limestone ridge of the Judean highland and has never been disputed.

After the conquest Bethlehem fell to Judah (Judg 17:7; 1 Sam 17:12; Ruth 1:1-2); Ibzan of Bethlehem judged Israel after Jephthah (Judg 12:8); Elimelech, the husband of Naomi and father-in-law of Ruth, was a Bethlehemite (Ruth 1:1-2), as was Boaz (2:1,4). David was born in Bethlehem, and here he was anointed as future king by Samuel (1 Sam 16:1); here was the well from which David's three heroes brought him water (2 Sam 23:15-16), thought to be the same three wells still existing in the N side of the village; it was the birthplace of the Messiah (Matt 2:1), and its male children were slain by order of Herod (2:16, cf. Jer 31:15; Mic 5:2).

This Bethlehem is about five miles S of Jerusalem, and elevated 2,460 feet above sea level.

In Bethlehem stands the Basilica of the Nativity, marking the traditional site of the birth of Christ. So yes we went to the right place.

Did you read my article? There's debate because there are two Bethlehems, one by Galilee and one by Jerusalem.

Jesus lived near Galilee :coffee:

He walked over from the other side.

Cheers

Did you read my article? There's debate because there are two Bethlehems, one by Galilee and one by Jerusalem.

Jesus lived near Galilee :coffee:

The Bethlehem that had been near Galilee was know as Bethlehem of Zebulun was a ruin before Jesus was born. Jesus was born in the City of David that is Bethlehem south of Jerusalem. There is no debate in 99% of historians and scholars.

Back