Kraft suggests expanded playoffs....

Tiger_69

Reaction score
....I know it's old news but it hasn't been discussed here yet (I don't think).

As much as I'd like to watch NFL football year round and he may have a good idea, but I don't like it.

He (Kraft) says an 8-8 or 7-9 team shouldn't make the playoffs (I agree), but that's exactly what's going to happen if you have half the teams in the NFL making the playoffs. I also disagree with his view that a 9-7 team SHOULD make the playoffs. I also think the tie breaker policy is a good one.

Will it make it more interesting? Sure, but I think it will not be much different than the NHL where, as long as you're not in the cellar in your division, you have a chance. I like the fact that they have to fight more for limited spots.

Can anyone give me a valid arguement why it would be a good thing (beesides the fact that this would have benefited the Pats this past season)?

Tige--
Thanks for posting this, man! :)
It is the first that I have heard of this. (Clearly, I need to get better informational sources!) :)
I don't know the specifics of what Kraft said, but it does bum me out when a team that plays in a relatively weak division (like Pitt and Tennesse do) can make the play-offs with a weaker record than teams in the AFC East and the AFC West. That is just not right... I am not quite sure what the solution is, but perhaps to have at least one or two more wild-card teams making the play-offs would help... I have a feeling that they will "tweak" with the system in a couple of years. (I think that I read somewhere that they aren't going to do anything different for at least a season or two.) What say ye?! :)

Sorry Peg, here's the link

http://www.patriots.com/news/FullArticle.sps?id=22803&type=general

His argument is pretty much what you're saying (weaker divisions) and it sounds good to us because we're in what is generally one of the toughest divisions but, what's the solution? Wasn't the salary cap supposed to prevent this type of thing? It has been a benefit to a point.

With good ownership and coaching a weak team can emerge quickly in this (or any) league. That may be where the problem is but you can't force someone to sell their team because they're not (or never were) very competitive, Can you?

This is my first post on this site, Freak has mentioned it quite a bit on KFFL. It looks like a fun group (especially FallingAlice). Anyway, I like the idea of adding two more wild card teams. We now have four division winners and only two wild card teams. Teams in the central and south have a HUGE advantage because they play weaker teams. I don't think the NFL will ever get like the NHL or NBA but your right it is a concern. I guess it won't be for like two more years, but I'm all for it.

Brian.

Tige--Thanks for the link... I just read it... I agree with Bob Kraft, in that the number of teams in the play-offs should keep up with the number of teams that the league expands to... His idea that Division winners all getting byes is a good one... I believe that would only be fair... Expanding the play-offs by a couple of teams make perfect sense, given that the league has expanded, as well... What say ye?!... :)

NH PatsFan/Brian--Welcome! :)
I am glad that Freak has mentioned this site to those on kffl...Good fans are always welcome, but I just hope that the dry, stuffed shirts don't migrate here, as we also like to have some good ol' fashioned FUN, here as well, and we won't take kindly to anyone coming here and PATronizing us. LOL! :) I remember you from the Pats.com site... You are a good fan and board contributor... Welcome aboard, here!... Please post early & often! :)
p.s.--FallingAlice has an old thread going on "How you became a Pats fan..." Or something to that effect, that new posters can tell us their story... Check it out and let us know what your scoop is... btw--NEM's story is a really GREAT read!! :)

NH Patsfan said:
This is my first post on this site, Freak has mentioned it quite a bit on KFFL. It looks like a fun group (especially FallingAlice). Anyway, I like the idea of adding two more wild card teams. We now have four division winners and only two wild card teams. Teams in the central and south have a HUGE advantage because they play weaker teams. I don't think the NFL will ever get like the NHL or NBA but your right it is a concern. I guess it won't be for like two more years, but I'm all for it.

The idea of 2 more wildcard teams is a good idea for the NFL in general. But, what will happen when the season ends? You'd have 4 division winners per conf, then 4 wildcard for a total of 8 teams, so there really couldn't be an opportunity for the "bye" week, could there? If there were a bye for the 2 best teams in the conf, that leaves 6 and after wildcard weekend, 3 teams....Hmmm, how'd that work? It would seem that the best teams in the conf would/should end up playing the lowest seeded wildcard and so forth with nobody getting a bye week.

Do you guys have any other clues as to how they could configure it with an additional 2 wildcards per conference?

Back