Pats draft another lefty....

BluVayner

Reaction score
The Pats drafted punter Zoltan Mesko out of Michigan. That should come as no surprise to anyone, seeing that Mesko's a left footed punter.

Lee Johnson, Ken Walter, Josh Miller, Chris Hanson, and now Zoltan Mesko....all lefties.

That Belichick is always looking for every advantage that he can find.

Despite the lack of replies, I actually find this a very interesting little detail. A punt coming off the foot of a lefty is slightly different - I wonder if Belichick picked up on something statistically or just by reports from returners.

Yes, very interesting. And a little nugget I wasn't aware of (guess I have not been paying close enough attention to detail).

Not sure if it's been posted but here's a tidbit from cbssports on Zoltan...

<i>Has prototypical size and leg extension for the position. Adjusts well to high and low snaps. Good leg strength, but not elite. Lacks aggressiveness as a tackler on returns.

Solid 1.25-1.35 second get-off time. Long steps would put him too close to the line of scrimmage if he used full three-step drop.

Solid hangtime -- 4.2-4.4 seconds on 45-50 yard punts -- but will have the occasional line drive. Had 3.5-second hangtime on punts placed inside the 20 and throttles down to prevent touchbacks. Gross average benefitted from big rolls when punt returners don't catch the ball because of the left-footed spin. Uses rugby kicks and can wobble his punts to avoid top returners. Directional punting ability is a question mark.</i>

The kid has to be an upgrade over what we have been seeing from Hanson. Hanson's numbers for 2009 include 56 punts with only 18 inside the 20 and 5 touchbacks. This puts him tied for around 26th in the league.

His avg yd punt was at the bottom of the league at 39.7. His long was 56 yds which also put him near the bottom of the league. To compare and contrast Lechler led the league with a 51.1 yd avg. And Ben Graham led the league with 42 punts inside the 20.

Granted, Graham punted 30 more times more than Hanson and field position has to be considered which I'm not sure if any site actually tracks those numbers. But the point is Hanson has gotta be amongst the worst punters in the NFL in recent years.

And how the hell can you go wrong with a name like Zoltan. It's like a character out of a video game or something.

zoltar.jpg

So what's the advantage of having a left-footed punter?

This:
Solid hangtime -- 4.2-4.4 seconds on 45-50 yard punts -- but will have the occasional line drive. Had 3.5-second hangtime on punts placed inside the 20 and throttles down to prevent touchbacks. Gross average benefitted from big rolls when punt returners don't catch the ball because of the left-footed spin. Uses rugby kicks and can wobble his punts to avoid top returners.
It's a weird spin and the angle is "off." Little things that break your rhythm/concentration matter when you only have to do one thing, but have to do it perfectly and with a bunch of huge dudes timing their leap to take your head off.

Lefties are more intelligent, athletic, decisive and tough. It's a proven fact. In a survey I saw recently, 100% of people acknowledged this fact as the absolute truth.

I noticed the trend with left-footed people and wondered why this was. I certainly don't think it's coincidence because it is way higher than our representation in society as a whole.

Lefties are more intelligent, athletic, decisive and tough. It's a proven fact. In a survey I saw recently, 100% of people acknowledged this fact as the absolute truth.

I noticed the trend with left-footed people and wondered why this was. I certainly don't think it's coincidence because it is way higher than our representation in society as a whole.

This is definitly true about lefties!! (I may have slight bias). I feel like this may somehow be related to Ernie Adams ans statistics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ever try to catch a punt from a left footed punter? It's really a lot different, and it's distracting.

A punt from a right footed punter spins clockwise, and as it comes down it fades from left to right. A ball from a lefty punter is spinning counter clockwise, and it fades from right to left. It also comes down with the point tilted to the left rather than to the right.

When you're not used to catching a lefty, it can really throw you off your game. I think that over the course of a season it can result in several punts either not being fielded cleanly, or being allowed to bounce rather than risking a botched attempt.

It can't be simply a coincidence that the Pats have had five consecutive lefty punters, because there aren't that many of them. That Belichick plays every angle.

Ever try to catch a punt from a left footed punter? It's really a lot different, and it's distracting.

A punt from a right footed punter spins clockwise, and as it comes down it fades from left to right. A ball from a lefty punter is spinning counter clockwise, and it fades from right to left. It also comes down with the point tilted to the left rather than to the right.

When you're not used to catching a lefty, it can really throw you off your game. I think that over the course of a season it can result in several punts either not being fielded cleanly, or being allowed to bounce rather than risking a botched attempt.

It can't be simply a coincidence that the Pats have had five consecutive lefty punters, because there aren't that many of them. That Belichick plays every angle.

Interesting stuff- thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

It can't be simply a coincidence that the Pats have had five consecutive lefty punters, because there aren't that many of them.

Ooops....

I forgot about Todd Sauerbrun. He's right footed........but he was a mid-season replacement. Given the time to plan, I think BB would prefer a lefty.

Back