The 2015 College Football Thread

(P - shoulder)

More Probable Than Not
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisweeks3d.com
So allow me to start of this year's cfb discussion with something that will surprise absolutely no-one: documents unsealed at the Todd McNair vs. NCAA lawsuit show that the NCAA ****ed McNair and USC because they wanted to, not because there was really anything to their case:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25121727/ncaa-overstepped-in-usc-case-unsealed-documents-seem-to-show

Some choice tidbits:

Howard added in correspondence to committee members: "McNair should have all inferences negatively inferred against him ... we need not say why we disbelieve him, we only need to let the public, or whomever, know that we do disbelieve him."

Lawyers for McNair argued in their lawsuit that the lengthy messages by Uphoff and Howard were intentionally sent to voting infraction committee members in violation of the NCAA's procedures to influence them in their decision. Howard had just joined the infractions committee but was supposed to only be observing the USC case. Neither had voting rights to decide the case.

Infractions committee member Eleanor Myers admitted to a "botched interview" in which investigators got the year of a key phone call wrong between McNair and former agent wanna-be Lloyd Lake. That contention had been a key part of McNair's appeal to the NCAA, which was rejected.

As part of a lengthy exchange of emails between infractions committee members about the USC case, Meyers questioned whether they should be communicating in writing. "I am concerned about confidentiality both because I do not know the California open records law and because several of us use our institutional email accounts at public institutions," Meyers wrote. "Further, it is not clear that everyone is equally comfortable using email in this way and I think it is important for the deliberations to be inclusive."

As a whole the documents seem to once again call in the veracity of the entire USC investigation. Almost five years after one of the most contentious enforcement cases in NCAA history, the fallout lingers. McNair was not retained by Kiffin, USC's new coach who replaced Pete Carroll in early 2010. McNair filed his suit against the NCAA in June 2011. He has not worked as a college or pro coach since leaving USC.

So allow me to start of this year's cfb discussion with something that will surprise absolutely no-one: documents unsealed at the Todd McNair vs. NCAA lawsuit show that the NCAA ****ed McNair and USC because they wanted to, not because there was really anything to their case:
Thankfully that sort of thing only occurs in the college level and not the pros.

Nope, that could never happen in the NFL. I could never imagine a situation where an individual in the league office tried to screw over a specific team unfairly.

< / sarcasm>

Back