Top 5 GMs Of All Time

TyLawsPick6

Reaction score
So, who is on your list and why do you have the person slated where you do? I'll start:

1. Bill Belichick. - I am not sure there is enough room to type out the reasons why, but other than inventing the Cap Era recipe to success both with the economics of it and the belief in the core principles in how to build a team, no one has done it better. They hired a commissioner to cheat our team and slow him down. That's how great he is. His resume being read off at Canton for his coaching work will be as long as his GM resume, IMO. Brilliance beyond belief to our benefit. He's had draft picks stripped on 3 framejobs specifically because he knows how much those picks mean to his version of teambuilding.

2. George Young. - Whether it be his work with the Colts, then the 70s Dolphins (alongside Beathard in his role) or 80s Giants, before BB came along, this was the guy. Incredible resume.

3. Bobby Beathard - I could put him 4, as it's close to me, but the work with the mid 70s Dolphins setting up those late 70s/early 80s Dolphins was great work, but his masterpiece work came in the late 70/early 1980s with those Skins teams that ended up using 2 different QBs who were pretty good, but not great, alongside the great coaching of Joe Gibbs. Old friend Charlie Casserly tries to take the credit of the '91 title, but that was an older Skins team set up by Beathard. He then went on to fix the early 90s Chargers, putting them into a SB at the dawn of the Cap Era in 1994.

4. Ron Wolf - If he had done it with a 3rd team, I'd put him above Beathard. Those 70s Raiders teams going to 6 straight AFC title games as an incredible feat of consistency. In the 1990s, those mid 90s Packers teams, as he pounced on Reggie White at the dawn of free agency and the Cap Era, were the best teams after the early 90s Dallas teams.

5. Jimmy Johnson (it wasn't Jerry Jones) - Johnson was the coach, but it was essentially his and BB's Cap Era understanding that sets the bar for how you build a consistently high performing team. Those ideas were his and he picked most of those players. They almost built the first dynasty of the Cap Era except they were starting out pre 1993 with the first title in 1992, with their first title. Moron Jerrah Jones has been trying to find a calculator and a clue ever since.

Honorable Mention: Tex Schramm. I'd have him in my top 5 except the era was easier back then, But, his work in the 1950s with George Allen's awesome Rams clubs is pretty legendary as his his late 60s/early 70s Cowboys work, which arguably was the standard along with George Young of that era.

Last edited:
John McVay not even in the top 5? 3 SBs, 8 playoff appearances in a row. A solid 2nd place I would say. And are trying to say Bill Polian isn't even in the conversation?

John McVay not even in the top 5? 3 SBs, 8 playoff appearances in a row. A solid 2nd place I would say. And are trying to say Bill Polian isn't even in the conversation?
You know what....Great call. I forgot about him and he's either in the top 5, replacing my Jimmy Johnson option, or an honorable mention. I am a big fan for sure. Loved those 80s 9ers clubs. Only negative is he did with one team (as has BB) in the pre cap era. But, yeah, he's gotta be in there.

And, yes, I am one that thinks Polian is overrated. I'd consider him an honorable mention for the Bills teams for sure, but he gets little credit for sliding over to the Colts knowing Manning was the #1 overall pick. I would argue just the 1 ring and bad defenses, knocks him down a peg.

He's a slimy guy, too, so admittedly, I have a hard time giving him a lot of credit as a self-promoter type.

You know what....Great call. I forgot about him and he's either in the top 5, replacing my Jimmy Johnson option, or an honorable mention. I am a big fan for sure. Loved those 80s 9ers clubs. Only negative is he did with one team (as has BB) in the pre cap era. But, yeah, he's gotta be in there.

And, yes, I am one that thinks Polian is overrated. I'd consider him an honorable mention for the Bills teams for sure, but he gets little credit for sliding over to the Colts knowing Manning was the #1 overall pick. I would argue just the 1 ring and bad defenses, knocks him down a peg.

He's a slimy guy, too, so admittedly, I have a hard time giving him a lot of credit as a self-promoter type.
With Polian we are talking about a GM not a prom date. You are looking at 1 SB win, I am looking at 6 SB appearances. The GM doesn't play the game, he assembles the team. And half of those appearances went up against the Boys with JJ.

With Polian we are talking about a GM not a prom date. You are looking at 1 SB win, I am looking at 6 SB appearances. The GM doesn't play the game, he assembles the team. And half of those appearances went up against the Boys with JJ.
Right, but they were very flawed teams as proven 4 SBs in a row, starting with BB exposing it. And, they didn't just lose, they got absolutely destroyed to the point they were the worst SBs to watch. The finesse thingy doesn't work. He never quite understood that. It's why Fouts never even got to a SB or why Marino got to one and got smoked.

We lost 2 SBs to the Giants because of it. And, because of....you know who wanting it. We also beat the Rams exposing it. It's funny to me Polian will tell you how great he is and look how flawed his teambuilds were in the end.

Right, but they were very flawed teams as proven 4 SBs in a row, starting with BB exposing it. And, they didn't just lose, they got absolutely destroyed to the point they were the worst SBs to watch. The finesse thingy doesn't work. He never quite understood that. It's why Fouts never even got to a SB or why Marino got to one and got smoked.

We lost 2 SBs to the Giants because of it. And, because of....you know who wanting it. We also beat the Rams exposing it. It's funny to me Polian will tell you how great he is and look how flawed his teambuilds were in the end.
And by the by Nike should be in the discussion. Never had a bad draft pick.

Back