10 years ago this week, Pat Tillman...

UberDoober

Rocky Mtn One Eye
Reaction score
Adam Schefter <S>@</S>AdamSchefter <SMALL class=time>7h </SMALL>
10 years ago this week, Pat Tillman lost his life. His platoon mates recall that tragic day and mistake someone... http://fb.me/1pP1H6MG3

Joseph Fibonacci <S>@</S>JonBon_Joey <SMALL class=time>7h </SMALL>
<S>@</S>AdamSchefter He didn't "lose his life" He was ****ing MURDERED & it was covered up, for a few years.

I actually know someone. that was on the same military base as him . They didn't have the nicest things to say about him.

I read the book about his life and death and it was very interesting. It was also depressing to see how someone that revered the ideals of America started to completely lose that faith in the process of serving his country.

He didn't get murdered. He was killed by a combination of rear echelon incompetence in ignoring the recommendations of those who had their boots on the ground in hostile territory ordering them to "tow" a broken-down humvee over brutal terrain and slowing them down drastically, poor communications/chain of command during the fog of war and most importantly incredibly poor decisions by a couple of his squad mates and one in particular.

I disagree that Tillman was unpopular with those he served with. He had the usual conflicts with soldiers that couldn't get it right and was opinionated and relatively intellectual compared to most, but a lot of them genuinely liked and respected him. Looked up to him. Suggesting he was murdered by people that couldn't stand him/hated him is incorrect based on Jon Krakauer's research for Where Men Win Glory. I'm satisfied that his is a fair appraisal of the situation and certainly more than the laughable versions offered by our military PR machine as they desperately tried to cover their asses without regard to Tillman's memory, his wife, his family and friends. And the american public.

He was a complex person by most accounts. That his death was a heinous cover-up is crystal clear.

It's a sick story in many ways, but reading it increased my respect for Pat Tillman a great deal.

I respect pat Tillman for giving up his NFL career to serve. My best friend Rob was stationed at the same military base . Didn't have the nicest thing about him. Mainly saying he acted like he was better then some people.

I respect pat Tillman for giving up his NFL career to serve. My best friend Rob was stationed at the same military base . Didn't have the nicest thing about him. Mainly saying he acted like he was better then some people.

He probably was.

One of the things that really pissed him off was the Afghanistan poppy fields controversy. Troops had to guard the poppy fields so they could be safely harvested for heroin.

The war on drugs is a huge racket. War is a racket.

Back