An interesting article about Ray Ventrone from NFLEurope

ladypatsfan

Reaction score
http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/COL/9273726
The other quarterbacks
February 28, 2006
By Mike Trudell
NFL Europe

Raymond Ventrone makes up one half of Cologne's safety partnership. (waynepaulo.com)
OK…the wide receivers are split wide, and the tight end is lining up right of center… I need my cornerbacks to get a bump on the receivers, my outside linebacker to slide over and pick up the tight end, and get myself into the box… No problem.

You have just been inside the head of one of the Centurions’ safeties – free safety Kevin Curtis, or strong safety Raymond Ventrone. The thought might have developed in less than a second, and you must now accept the task of disseminating that information to the rest of your defense. And you had best be right – you are the quarterback of your security squad, the last line man between the opponent and the house.

Ventrone – a Villanova graduate assigned to NFL Europe by the New England Patriots – has gelled with his secondary partner Curtis – a standout at Texas Tech and Houston Texans allocate – to form a staunch anchor to the Centurion defense.

“It’s essential for the safeties to communicate, and to have a good feel and trust with one another,” said Curtis. “Bubba and I are getting more comfortable with each other every day. We talk between plays, after a play, just to get an idea of what the other guy sees so that we can work together and see the same thing.”

Should one have wondered, Bubba was the moniker assigned to Ventrone as a baby, due to his self-admittedly large head. The nickname stuck, but the rest of his body caught up to his dome as he developed exceptional football skills.

Said Curtis: “He’s going to be a great player for us. He’s fast, strong, and he likes to hit, so I expect a great year from Bubba.”

“He’s a very smart, intense player, and it’s like having an extra coach on the field,” said training camp intern coach Sam Garnes, who has been working with the secondary. “You see someone that you can trust at safety. He’s going to be one of the better safeties in the league this year. I’ll be surprised if there is someone better than him this year.

Our "Bubba" has made quite an impression. I'll have to tune into NFL Europe to see him in action. I wonder why he was never activated from the practice squad? :confused:
I heard rave reviews about him all last year.

Bubba...ever since seeing Forrest Gump, every time I hear/read the name Bubba....

ladypatsfan said:
Our "Bubba" has made quite an impression. I'll have to tune into NFL Europe to see him in action. I wonder why he was never activated from the practice squad? :confused:
I heard rave reviews about him all last year.

I believe he was activated for at least one game late last season, but don't know if he saw the field.

I look forward to seeing the kid get some extended time in preseason to see how much he has improved. Not to knock the kid at this stage of his development, but his coverage skills weren't too impressive from what I could see.

He definitely packs a wallop, though and has BB's eye, so we'll see.

Thanks for the article. :thumb: You come up with some nice stuff.

A Ventrone, "European Vacation," update:
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=15904&pcid=41

Of particular interest (especially to MGO if she ever comes back here):

Yeah, we’re going up against Drew [Henson] this week. There will be a lot of interest in this game back home. I’ve seen on film that he stares down his receivers a lot. I’m excited. I want to get a pick this week off him. I think I’ll have some opportunities.

---------------------------------------------

On one hand I'm chuckling at that comment; on the other, I'm thinking, "Ray :STFU: !".....ah, rookies!

DREW HENSON ROCKS!!!

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
Cowboys | Henson performing well in Europe
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:30:53 -0700

Todd Archer, of the Dallas Morning News, reports the Dallas Cowboys are pleased so far with the progress of QB Drew Henson in the NFL Europe. In four games for the Rhein Fire, Henson has completed 51 of 86 passes for 581 yards, four touchdowns, only one interception, and most importantly, has led the team to an undefeated record.

------------------------------------------

Yes, this is a shameless attempt to flush MGO from hiding.

Back