Article on football injuries and the "code of silence."

Is all of this a trend? I’m not sure, but I do think some teams’ practice of concealing injuries is a concern the players might want to discuss with new NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith as they brace for a significant stretch of negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement. I’m not sure what, if any, reforms they could attempt to secure, but it’s at least worth exploring at this tenuous time.

It will be interesting if this comes up in negotiations. Players want to play, and don't want their toughness questioned, but it would seem to hurt them more if opposing teams knew what their specific injuries were, even if they can tell that something's wrong.

Interesting article.

It will be interesting if this comes up in negotiations. Players want to play, and don't want their toughness questioned, but it would seem to hurt them more if opposing teams knew what their specific injuries were, even if they can tell that something's wrong.

Interesting article.

The rest of the league can't blame BB for being so "secretive" with injuries.

I think there's a more important factor for the players than what is described in the article. It is how often does a player go out and do something that makes their injury worse because of this?

The issue I'm thinking more of is the concussion question, although there can certainly be life altering problems from other injuries.

I don't want to side track the discussion onto a tangent, but consider the Ted Johnson situation. He's been pretty clear in his statements that he felt that there was pressure from the coaches to "suck it up" and play, when perhaps, in hindsight, it wasn't such a good idea.

Cromartie's comments in the article also seem to suggest that he felt some pressure to play hurt.

I don't necessarily blame the coaches for this situation, they have only 53 bodies to work with and if they don't use this guy, they have to find a replacement. Player A at 80% may still be a better answer than player B at 100%.

If the players association is truly interested in having players not play when a medical situation has a chance to effect the rest of the players life, then the decision has to be taken out of the players and coaches hands.

They have to set up some sort of independent medical evaluation process and set up rules on what types of injuries mean a player doesn't play, period.

The only way I can think of for this to be effective, is to have this independent group provide the team medical staff, and ensure that this staff has full access to all players for whatever evaluation they want to perform.

For the owners to go along with this, I think you would need to set up something similar to the 15 day, 30 day, and 60 day disabled list in baseball. The durations would probably be different. In addition, there would have to be some adjustment in how the salary cap works relative to players on these disabled lists.

Back