Before TFB: The College Recruitment of Tom Brady

Beaglebay

Houndsight is 20/20
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/01/30/tom-brady-recruitment-michigan-national-signing-day

Given the level of interest in him and the schools involved, Brady likely would have been a three- or four-star player* in today’s recruiting parlance. He had interest from nearby Cal. USC’s offensive coordinator loved him. (More on that later.) UCLA was recruiting several West Coast quarterbacks, including Brady. Harris arrived in California and visited Tom MacKenzie at Serra. Harris asked the coach to see full games instead of highlights. “I want to see him at his worst,” Harris said. It turns out Brady’s worst was still quite good.

“I watched a couple of games and he made some good decisions. Not every ball was caught, but he was throwing it in the right direction.” Harris also learned that Brady was a star baseball player at Serra. He expected to hear about Brady’s exploits on the mound, but Brady excelled behind the plate. “This man must have some toughness,” Harris remembered thinking. “You’re down there in the dirt directing the team. I said, ‘Let me meet this man.’”

The end of that article is hilarious.

The coaches who had brought Brady to Ann Arbor were gone. The ones who remained would soon be hot on the trail of a class of 1998 stud from Brighton, Mich., named Drew Henson.

Yes, you recruit a top 3 player in your backyard despite having a senior on the roster for that year. Additionally, what is always missed in this, is that like any elite program, Michigan recruited a top QB in 1996 (Jason Kapsner, who would've been a 4 or 5 star under today's system.) And Brady was recruited after Scott Dreisbach, who was in the 1994 class...

BTW, that 95 Michigan class also had Charles Woodson. Arguably the best offensive and defensive players to ever play the game. In one class.

He's doing quite well. Great guy.

I just say it because he quit Michigan to go to the damn Yankees.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

BTW, that 95 Michigan class also had Charles Woodson. Arguably the best offensive and defensive players to ever play the game. In one class.

Since Woodson left, my motto as a Michigan football fan has been "Michigan Football, specializing in disappointment since 1998."

I just say it because he quit Michigan to go to the damn Yankees.

There was a lot more to it than that. Steinbrenner played him a bit, plus there was a ton of money in it for him. I can't say I wouldn't have made the same decision, and it wasn't an easy one for him. But it sucks, because he would've been the Heisman favorite and absolute #1 pick in the draft. Plus, we would've murdered our schedule before losing to Miami in the natty. That 2001 year was a great 'what if.' Johnny wasn't ready to go, and there was no offensive identity without a legit QB.

There was a lot more to it than that. Steinbrenner played him a bit, plus there was a ton of money in it for him. I can't say I wouldn't have made the same decision, and it wasn't an easy one for him. But it sucks, because he would've been the Heisman favorite and absolute #1 pick in the draft. Plus, we would've murdered our schedule before losing to Miami in the natty. That 2001 year was a great 'what if.' Johnny wasn't ready to go, and there was no offensive identity without a legit QB.

Thanks for the background. I never looked into it that much back then. I was only 17 and dem internets weren't what they are today. Only got what little ESPN provided.

Back