Bruschi Calls Out TBC

Wandering Athol

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankle
Reaction score
The gauntlet's been thrown:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/03/31/bruschi_remains_at_core/?page=2:

''I think Tully [Banta-Cain] has had some reps in the past but is Tully ready to do something?" Bruschi said. ''I don't know. Is he ready to show that he can do what we want, I don't know. It's up to him."

-----------------------------------------------

TBC's already beaten expectations if you think about it, considering he's a former 7th-round pick. However, after 3 years, has anybody really seen any progression in his game? Has he excelled enough on STs to warrant keeping him on the roster solely to compete there?

Bruschi's implying it's more mental than physical with TBC. And as of right now, he's the Pats' starting OLB if Vrabel stays inside. What's everyone think? :shrug:

Wandering Athol said:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/03/31/bruschi_remains_at_core/?page=2:

''I think Tully [Banta-Cain] has had some reps in the past but is Tully ready to do something?" Bruschi said. ''I don't know. Is he ready to show that he can do what we want, I don't know. It's up to him."

TBC's already beaten expectations if you think about it, considering he's a former 7th-round pick. However, after 3 years, has anybody really seen any progression in his game? Has he excelled enough on STs to warrant keeping him on the roster solely to compete there?

Bruschi's implying it's more mental than physical with TBC. And as of right now, he's the Pats' starting OLB if Vrabel stays inside. What's everyone think? :shrug:
Even though TBC was a 7th Rounder, he really has not exceeded expectations. He was one of the best pass rushers coming out in his draft. The only reason he fell was because he was injured and most teams want players that can play NOW. The Patriots had the advantage of being able to have patience with him and that is wearing thin. Do I think he has maxed out? No, and I don't think Tedy thinks has either. He wouldn't have bothered to mention the guy if he felt he couldn't bring more. I am glad to see that Tedy is not standing by and letting the chips fall. He is taking an opportunity to show that Willie wasn't the only one that could challenge a player and Tedy will also back it up with all the support he can give. This, to me, is good news that Tedy sees what Tully can become and he won't accept less.

Wandering Athol said:

There's a reason why he got called out. For one, he was a healthy scratch last season. And, his only time in the sun during his career came when he left his ring on a bathroom sink in Providence Place Mall.

There seemed to be a lot of folks sold on TBC when he was drafted. I don't know that Bruschi 'called him out'...wasn't he replying to a reporter's question?

Either way, seems like Tedy is trying to light a match under the dude...which doesn't bode well, IMO. I mean, if a freakin' grown man, who's lucky enough to be playing in the NFL, needs Tedy to light a match under has a$$, said dude has issues.

I'll believe the hype about TBC when his highlight moment in a Pats uni isn't losing his freakin' SB ring in a RI restaurant. :(

aaava said:
There seemed to be a lot of folks sold on TBC when he was drafted. I don't know that Bruschi 'called him out'...wasn't he replying to a reporter's question?

I think aaava has been on this message board for a while, but is aaava ready to do something on this board? I don't know. Is he ready to show that he can contribute to the Planet, I don't know. It's up to him.

Sounds like a call out to me.

(BTW: hopefully it's obvious that I'm just kidding with you aaava; the written word from this scribe is often not conducive to great satire. I think you're a great new addition to the Planet :thumb: , but it seems pretty obvious to me as to what Bruschi's intentions were here. )

Yeah, I agree. 'Tis obvious. My concern is that it needed saying is all. But perhaps this is a good thing...after all, we're talking about a 25 year old person, right? I guess in the right situation, he could still be considered a child in need of motivation. :thumb:

And hey, whatever Tedy does is ok by me. Or in Annihilus' words, aaava thinks that whatever Tedy does is ok as far as aaava is concerned.' ;-)

Hey, I adopted the guy, so if Tedy Bruschi wants to mess with him, he's gonna have to mess with me.

But I'll let them hash out their differences first.

If anyone has a videotape of the last Miami game, there might be some good footage of Banta-Cain, since I suspect he got his share of reps. I don't have the game on tape myself, but I seem to remember his name being called a few times.

TrueBeliever said:
Hey, I adopted the guy, so if Tedy Bruschi wants to mess with him, he's gonna have to mess with me.

But I'll let them hash out their differences first.

Tedy sounds like he is taking charge of the Patriots defense, very good:thumb:

kolbitr said:
If anyone has a videotape of the last Miami game, there might be some good footage of Banta-Cain, since I suspect he got his share of reps. I don't have the game on tape myself, but I seem to remember his name being called a few times.

TBC was in on 5 tackles and was credited for a sack. Chatham, IMO, was the standout defensive replacement of note for that game: 8 tackles, a sack, and a pass defense.

BTW: A hearty, welcome to the board! :wave:

TBC ready?

I don't think Tedy's the only one who thinks TBC needs to and can contribute more to the team.
After all they did give him a new # this past season, indicating he had shaken the plebe status.

I sure hope he can take it to the next level, but I think more realistically, the Pats need to bring in a run stuffing MLB (Mike) and put Vrable back where he belongs.

Wandering Athol said:
TBC was in on 5 tackles and was credited for a sack. Chatham, IMO, was the standout defensive replacement of note for that game: 8 tackles, a sack, and a pass defense.

BTW: A hearty, welcome to the board! :wave:

Thank you. Long-time reader, finally feeling the urge to contribute. I have learned a lot from this place.

See, now Chatham is a guy I think we're gonna miss. I've said this before, but I still remember the game when a bunch of LBs were hurt (2004?), and the Pats were playing a good Giants club early in the season, and Matt had a stellar game. In the first 2 minutes he banged somebody, recovered the fumble, and that Pats were inside the Giants 20 yard line.

It went downhill from there fer the Gints. I'm not surprised the Jets picked him up. Chatham didn't get many chances to start, but when he did he made a good impression. I certainly hope he doesn't do for the Jets what he did for our Pats...

I'll credit Tomase from the Herald with giving TBC the opportunity to respond to last week's challenge:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=134292&format=text
‘‘It’s my fourth year,” Banta-Cain said while taking a break from a recent workout. ‘‘I feel like I’ve had plenty of time to develop. This should be the year for me. This is my chance to show them what Banta-Cain is all about.”

[...]

‘‘This is what I’ve been working toward,” Banta-Cain said. ‘‘I’ve put in my work on special teams. I haven’t gotten a lot of snaps with the regular defense, but I hope that changes.”

A defensive end at Cal, Banta-Cain has the size to play inside linebacker (6-foot-2, 250 pounds), but considers himself a better fit on the outside.

‘‘I’m probably best suited for outside linebacker, but I’d do anything the coaches ask,” Banta-Cain said. ‘‘I feel one of my strengths is rushing the passer. I’d love to get out there and get some sacks. I’d love to be at the top of the team in sacks. This is my chance to make something happen.”

He may never face a better opportunity with the Pats. With Willie McGinest gone to Cleveland in free agency and practice squad player Eric Alexander the only other young [outside] linebacker on the roster, Banta-Cain, 25, should at least get a look in training camp.

[...]

‘‘I don’t get offended by what people outside the team write or think,” Banta-Cain said. ‘‘I know I can play in this league and if people think we need to draft a linebacker or sign another free agent, that’s not going to affect what I do.”

------------------------------------------

I still think unless the Pats knock our socks of with a FA signing at the LB position, the Pats are DEFINITELY taking a LB with one of their first four, if not their 1st, pick.

I suppose that the reason virutally everyone in the universe thinks that the Pats need at least one outside linebacker is that is just doesn't make sense that a 3rd-year guy, who they are grooming to take a regular turn in the rotation, would get almost no snaps from scrimmage.

I have experessed puzzlement at his disappearance several times, since the few times I've seen him line up on D, it does appear that he can make things happen.

In particular, he can get after the QB which is something that I expect will be adressed in the coming year. We have to get more pressure than we were able to generate last year and losing Willie won't help, so.....he would seem like a candidate, but why they tried forcing Beisel and Brown into the lineup when he was there on the bench twiddling his thumbs makes you wonder what his major malfunction is. He never even got a sniff of regular PT.

Then again, this could be a plot by Belichick to trick people into thinking he needs a pass rusher in the draft in order to force their hand, when he knows he has TBC waiting in the wings and ready to go.

Back